“Nice surprise”

Kimpton Hotel Wilshire
Ranked #74 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Traveling on business is often very stressful. This hotel provided a quiet well appointed room, great service from the entire staff, and a really good restaurant experience. The rooms are on the smaller side, but ours was clean and fresh, with a great bathroom area. There was no view to speak of, but the Roof restaurant more than made up for the lack of view in the room. We were seated promptly for both breakfast and lunch, and the food and service were very good. Dinner service was slightly less positive, but the food was excellent. It was a Friday night, and the staff were very busy with the bar and multiple tables. The rates are on the higher side, and the parking fees are not included, but overall we felt that it was a good value. We will go back again on our next trip to the LA area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear Traveler,

I am thrilled to hear that we were able to ease some of the stress of being on the road. That is really our ultimate goal - to take great care of our guests while they're under our roof. Or on our Roof for that matter! Sounds like you got a few great opportunities to take in the amazing views from our rooftop restaurant, followed by some well deserved R&R in the comfort of your room. I am so happy to hear that we'll be top of the list when your travels bring you back to the LA area.

We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Let me say that I'm a big fan of the Kempton and have stayed in their properties numerous times.
I was taking my daughter first trip to Los Angeles thought I'd splurge by reserving a one bedroom suite with views of the Hollywood sign. I paid the rack rate using Amex miles and the suite (#316) had stained carpet and a VERY limited view. It also took 3 calls to get sheets for the pullout. We were the beneficiary of a fruit plate delivered to our room with a nice note welcoming us back....addressed to someone else.The staff was friendly but inefficient. I would definitely recommend the other kimpton hotels I've stayed at in D.C. And Philadelphia but this property definitely isn't up to their standards .

• Stayed: May 2014
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hotel Wilshire. It sounds like we missed the mark on a number of points, so I am so sorry that you did not enjoy a flawless experience, which is what we always set out to provide. If you are planning to return to LA at any point, I urge you to reach out to me at the e-mail address listed below and we will make sure you have the amazing experience you should have had the first time around. I sincerely apologize for any shortcomings on your previous visit and I hope we get the opportunity to make things right. Thanks again for sharing this constructive feedback.

Warm regards,

ashley.gochnauer@hotelwilshire.com

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at the Kimpton Wilshire in April 2014. Having experienced Kimpton in Denver, I had high expectations and they were met. My room was on the 6th floor with a pretty view of the valley. The room was extremely clean and there was no wasted space at all. The location is fantastic, about 8-10 miles away from Santa Monica and less than two miles away from Rodeo Drive. What made my trip was the excellent Valet service (hardly any wait for the car) and the fact that you can borrow bicycles and go around. Hardly anyone walks in LA so that makes for a great bike ride. The Grove is a few miles away by bike. The pool is really small so don't expect to get a work out. The only mishap I had was being overcharged for bar items that I didn't use but the front desk was great about fixing my bill upon check out.

Room Tip: Ask for a view...you may be surprised even if the hotel is barely 7 floors high.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear Traveler,

I am simply thrilled that your recent visit to the Hotel Wilshire did not disappoint. I love that you managed to fit in some Kimpton fun while traveling on business. From the rooftop to your bike ride around the local area, sounds like it was a great stay. I truly hope you will keep us in mind the next time business (or leisure) brings you back to LA.

All the best,

Reviewed 11 May 2014

When I first started writing this review I was going to give 3 stars, but as I wrote it, I became so angry, I lowered it to 2.

I've come to love the Kimpton brand in recent years after many stays at the Palomar in Washington DC and Philadelphia. However, this hotel seemed to be of a completely different breed. We booked a Hollywood "Suite," which, from the description given, was supposed to have a view of the Hollywood Hills, and a separate bedroom as well as a living room with a sofa bed (there were 3 of us traveling). Given the price of the room, and the photos on the website, I expected it to be fabulous.

The reality was a very ordinary "room" with nice views, but only a partial wall between the living room and bedroom. I immediately called the Front Desk, and we were moved to another "suite" on the 3rd floor with no views, but the bedroom was separate from the living room (which was absolutely necessary for us). Still rather ordinary, not the fabulous "suite" I was expecting or usually see in the Kimpton brand. There were stains on the carpet, which a few minuted with a steam cleaner could have removed. The sofa bed was unmade, and no linens or pillows provided for it in the room. We had to call three times over four hours to have someone come to make up the bed. You would think that a reservation for 3 people in a "suite" with 1 king and a sofa bed would indicate to the staff that we would be needing the sofa bed prepared.

We had reservations for dinner on the Roof (which does have great views), but when we arrived, there was a film shoot going on, and we were asked to have a seat at the bar for a few minutes. It took 30 minutes to be seated at an awful table practically in the middle of a heavily trafficked bar area. The outside terrace was almost entirely occupied by the film crew. No offer of a drink while we waited, not even an apology.

Overall, a pretty bad and very costly experience. I would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank peter07043
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We picked the Wiltshire as a bit of a treat, being that it's one of the more expensive hotels in LA. When we arrived the valet and the check in staff were very friendly. We were also upgraded to a suite which we were thrilled about. However once we got to the room it was a bit of a disappointment. The carpets were stained, as was the couch which was also threadbare in places. The staff saved the day though, rectifying the problem immediately with no fuss.

The new room had a great bed with a really nice modern bathroom, nice quite AC unit too. The pool on the roof was a little disappointing. I didn't realize from the photos that it's very small. My bad for just glancing at the photographs, but if you're expecting to swim lengths - you won't be able to! The view from up there is nice and there's a decent bar and restaurant.

Overall it was a good stay. I think for the price we paid Kimpton need to do some upgrades/refurnishing to the rooms though. Even our new room had some smaller stains on the carpet and the couch. Luckily it's only minor and the fantastic staff make up for it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andyg7
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review about your recent experience. I'm so sorry to hear there were a few snafus in your room, however I'm happy to hear that our staff was able to quickly spring into action and rectify the issue. Our rooftop pool is indeed designed for dipping, not necessarily swimming laps, but the view and the Roof restaurant truly make it a quintessential LA experience. I hope you will give us another try and I'm confident on your return visit, we will blow you away!

Until then,

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Unfortunately our experience was not as pleasant as seen in the other reviews. As far as being pleasant, all were very pleasant. Our first problem in our four night stay was the telephone didn't work, next the television volume had a governor which kept the sound way too low. It took a day for them to remedy this. The heavy shower handle fell off missing my toes by a fraction of an inch. One must step into the high-sided tub to shower or bathe. Unfortunately there were no grab bars. The side of the tub was very high. The frosted glass door to the bathroom did not close fully giving essentially no privacy for anyone inside. The refrigerator / minbar door was very difficult to close requiring rearranging the hotel items inside to "jimmy" it closed. The valet gave us the wrong rental car. We were going to our son's wedding rehearsal and realized after the ½ hr drive that it was not our rental. My husband drove the car back to return the car to the hotel and missed the rehearsal. The next day, they again had the wrong car waiting for us. The hotel reimbursed us for all of the parking fees. Our last day/ night our room was not cleaned until very late in the day, after several requests. The refrigerator enclosure was completely unventilated.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank regolg3dance
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Traveler,

Oh my, this is definitely not the kind of review we want to see. We pride ourselves on our product and service, so I am terribly sorry that you left with a negative impression of our hotel. We have followed up on all the issues you detailed below, so thank you so much for making us aware. I sincerely hope that you will give us another try in the future. I urge you to contact me directly if you plan to return and I will personally take care of your reservations and make sure we take amazing care of you. My apologies once again and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

All the best,

ashley.gochnauer@hotelwilshire.com

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Out with the girls and looking for a Sunday spot to relax and have a few cocktails. The Rooftop at the Hotel Wilshire is a nice looking space with a tiny pool but intimate seating and great views. They have a fresh looking designed menu with $5 mimosas, sounds good, yes? It took over an hour to get my first mimosa and the place was half full. The wait staff spent more time milling around the bar talking to each other or MIA all together.
We ordered dessert for my girlfriend's birthday which was average at best.
The afternoon scene and view I give 3 1/2 stars, the food/drink 2 1/2 stars.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Beth,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback regarding your visit to the Roof restaurant. I'm so sorry to hear that you encountered long wait times. I can completely understand how frustrating that can be. I have forwarded your comments along to the Roof management team so these issues can be addressed with the staff. I truly hope that you will decide to give us another try in the future.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
#8 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Wilshire Crest Hotel
Wilshire Crest Hotel
#133 of 358 in Los Angeles

Been to Kimpton Hotel Wilshire? Share your experiences!