“Fabulous Hotel, you must stay here!”

Kimpton Hotel Wilshire
Ranked #57 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was my husband's 2nd stay to this hotel. The hotel is very modern, the rooms very nicely appointed and the bathrooms are sooooo nice. I had the most restful sleep in their beautiful king sized bed. The best thing about this hotel is it is very small and very quiet. The staff were really helpful and nice. You must go to the rooftop bar as it is FANTASTIC. We ate there numerous times and it didn't disappoint. A very good hotel in LA. Take the 20 bus to Santa Monica

Room Tip: We had a side view and it was pleasant. I'm not sure if the rooms over the main road might be a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear Traveler,

I am thrilled you enjoyed your recent stay! I agree, our comfortable beds ensure a very restorative night's sleep, so I'm happy that you got some well deserved R&R. Our rooftop is also the perfect place to enjoy some delicious food and cocktails while taking in panoramic views of LA. But at the end of the day, it all comes down to service, so I'm glad you found our staff to be helpful and friendly throughout your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back for stay #3!

Until then,

Reviewed 22 June 2014

As usual Kimpton Hotels never disappoint and this one is no exception. Located just a few short blocks from the LA County Museum of Art the hotel is very trendy in its décor, restaurant, and design. The rooms were very clean, well maintained, and with very large bathrooms and shower stalls, a Great little gem indeed.
The restaurant food was excellent as well as all around service poolside. The pool is very small and only about 3 feet deep so I would not call it a swimming pool, more of a paddle pool, or think it suited to a swim vacation as it is surrounded by a narrow walkway which contains tables and chairs for the diners, as the restaurant eating area is around the pool so any splashing would get everyone wet. The building is long and narrow so there is not much room for a pool or eating area. Reservations I would think are a must on busy weekends, a great place to eat and people watch the LA vibe!.

Room Tip: Room were very quiet, and I would think the suites on the East side of the building provide a far be...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Traveler,

It's always great to hear a rave review from a pro Kimpton traveler. We like to consider ourselves a great little gem as well, so I'm so glad you agree. Our "dipping pool" on the roof is very LA we like to think...In LA, it's all about lounging, eating and drinking poolside. So you got the true LA experience! From the location, to the design, to your room and the food, I'm ecstatic to hear you had such a good time. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We choose this hotel based on location and price. However, we were surprised by the quality. This is a great little boutique hotel!!! Excellent value. The rooms were spotless. Upgraded to a junior suite which had an enormous shower area with a huge soaking tub. Also, separate living room with large flat screen tv and soft lighting. The location was great, minutes from Rodeo Drive and the freeway.

As a bonus, the rooftop pool was fabulous. The view included Beverly Hills and the Hollywood sign in the distance. Perfect place to have a drink after a long day of sightseeing and enjoy the sunset.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra money and upgrade to a suite.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for this great review! What a nice surprise upon check-in to be upgraded...I'm glad you got to enjoy some extra space while in house with us. And I couldn't agree more - the Roof is the ideal place to unwind with a delicious cocktail after a long day. The views simply can't be beat. Thanks again for sharing your feedback. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This was our choice of hotels on the 4th leg of our US west coast road trip. Out of the places we visited, unfortunately LA was our least favourite, mostly due to the traffic. However, this hotel made coming back from a day's outing/sightseeing more bearable.

The room was clean and large enough for the wife and I. Bathroom was also clean and spacious with all the amenities required.

As we informed them that this was our honeymoon when we booked it, we received some fruit, a nice bottle of bubbly on arrival and a hand-written note congratulating us. Great service as no other hotel did this during our trip and when was the last time you received a hand-written note from a hotel?

Location wise, as it's LA, a car is needed for everything! But it is closer to the West Hollywood sights and a relatively short drive down to Venice Beach. Valet was quite pricey but there is an open-lot available next door (although I think this closes earlier whereas the hotel valet is 24hr).

Dear Traveler,

First and foremost, happy belated anniversary! Thank you for choosing the Hotel Wilshire to celebrate such a special occasion. I'm glad that our staff was able to recognize this and send up some treats for you to enjoy. Secondly, I'm so sorry to hear you hit so much traffic while exploring LA! As an Angeleno myself, I realize that can be frustrating. The good news is our hotel is very centrally located to many of LA's most popular neighborhoods. I sincerely hope you will come back and stay with us if your travels bring you back to LA.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I checked in May 30th and checked out on June 1st. Some days before my stay I had called Hotel Wilshire to ask if I can switch to a 2 bed suite instead. I spoke with Lance. He told me that he was sorry, that all the 2 bed suites were already booked. I was little bummed. He immediately said that he was going to upgrade me to the Hollywood suite! That was super cool of him to do that! I’ve stayed at many Kimptons for leisure and I always get the best customer service! They are awesome!

When I arrived the valet attendants immediately greeted me. They didn’t waste any time to check my car in and help me with my luggage. Not only were they very proactive, they were very informative on cool spots to hang out and places to eat. Guillermo was one of them. Very nice person! Anytime I needed my car or something out of it he was on it right away. (I did ask for a lot this time around lol)

The bikes! Saturday morning we were going to have breakfast. Lance had referred me to this little place called Toast. It was about 1.5 miles away. He said we could ride bikes there. Being that I was exhausted from the night before, the bikes were a must! So we did and went on our way.

I must say, there wasn’t one time that I walked in the hotel and I wasn’t greeted by my name. Lance and Judith made me feel at home every time!
This is how every hotel should feel.
Till next time! Thank you guys so much! I will be back :)

Julio

Room Tip: Hollywood Suite is awesome!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JulioRT
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Julio,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this awesome review! It really means a lot to our team members to get mentioned by name, so thank you for making a point to recognize them individually! I'm so glad you were so impressed with the guest service...We definitely aim to please! We want our guests to feel like this is their home away from home while on the road, so I'm thrilled that you left with that impression. I hope that you won't give another LA hotel a second thought if your travels bring you back this way. We look forward to having you back!

Until then,

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We made reservations to stay at a beach hotel for our anniversary, and decide to leave a day earlier and stay in LA for the night. We chose the Hotel Wilshire as a little prequel to our celebration. Sadly it fell short. I had booked the hotel using a 3rd party billing site as it was about a $50 difference from going through the website. Which I guess was a mistake because I had issues when checking in. I had made the reservation about an hour and a half before we checked in. the front desk the agent could not find our res and had told me I have to wait for it to come through on their system. I got tired of waiting so I called orbitz, who then called the front desk and took care of the situation. I heard the conversation from both sides,The FD agent seemed more concerned about arguing with orbitz than taking care of us. After 10 minutes of going back and fourth the FD agent finally called her manager and got the ok to check us in. She apologized gave me 2 drink tickets and advised me that I should probably never use orbitz again. Ok whatever thanks! So I check into our room which was clean but tiny and had a view of a parking lot. At this point I was not impressed but wanted to make the most of it. We made our way up to the rooftop bar which has very nice views , tiny pool, and annoyingly trendy, crowd feels snobbish. Drinks were very good and the bar staff was excellent. No tables available in the restaurant area so we went up to the room and ordered room service which was decent. we noticed our AC unit was not working. It was so stuffy and uncomfortable but we just wanted to go to sleep and check out ASAP. Morning came we packed our bags and headed to the lobby. I made a stop at the 2nd floor to grab some coffee and tea which was already gone and packed up at 10:15 AM. Nothing special or ordinary about this hotel other than the valet staff. ($$33 a night to park yikes)

4  Thank Sammie W

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your review, however I'm so sorry you didn't leave with a better impression of your stay. I realize that any delays upon check-in can be frustrating, so I apologize that your Orbitz reservation had not yet hit our system upon arrival. It sounds like it was a bit of a Murphy's law situation from that point forward, so I'm terribly sorry for that. If you plan to return to LA, I urge you to contact me directly and we will take great care of you upon your return. My apologies for inconvenience and I hope we have the opportunity for a do-over down the road. Thanks again for the constructive feedback.

ashley.gochnauer@hotelwilshire.com

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Only six blocks away from my daughter's apartment, this small, boutique hotel is a gem. They have a wine hour every night at 5pm, they have a rooftop restaurant and pool with killer views, fine welcoming hosts and hostesses, great drinks and good food. But what I like most is the service. From the bar staff, to the front desk, to the housekeepers, and the valet parking and bellman staff, this hotel actually makes you feel like they're glad you decided to stay at their place. This was my second five-night stay, and I will be going back to L.A. No need to consider staying at another place. If something's not right -- and when a person travels, there are always glitches of some sort, small or large -- they will fix it, or make it right. I've paid more at other hotels (I'm a big Sofitel fan in both L.A. and NYC) and gotten much less in terms of friendliness and a willingness to help. Nothing is perfect all the time, every time, but I sure don't, and suggest you don't either, overlook The Hotel Wilshire!

Room Tip: Hollywood Hills view is outstanding. Stay away from being near the elevators if you can, but everyo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Traveler,

What a great review! I love to see this kind of enthusiasm about our hotel. It really sounds as if the staff in all areas of the hotel and restaurant were able to show their genuine care for their jobs and our guests. I am so glad that we have demonstrated a willingness to help when our guests are in need. We place a big focus on adjusting to the needs of our guests and responding to their requests in a way that makes the guest feel well taken care of. I'm so happy to hear that the hotel is in close proximity to where your daughter lives, as this means we will hopefully see more of you!

Thanks again for such wonderful comments. This certainly means a lot to our team!