“Great value, location, and comfort”

Kimpton Hotel Wilshire
Ranked #69 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We were looking for a central location for a family reunion and came across this gem of a little boutique hotel. Location is great in Wilshire-Beverly Hills area. Smaller than expected it can be tricky to find. The daily valet parking price is a bit high but not inconsistent with local rates. The event planning staff were responsive and quite helpful. The roof top restaurant and pool were lovely and food was very good but shy of excellent. Breakfast and lunch were clearly better than dinner. The latter seemed intent on "wowing" the diner with bizarre pairings- like mole lamb shanks and pickled shallots.

Pluses are free bicycles and pets which apparently is all Klimpton properties. An elderly couple in our group had forgotten a comb and they gave them free ones at the front desk. The complimentary cocktail hour is a nice plus as well.

We stayed in a sunset suite room which had ample drawers, great lighting and room darkening shades. The A/C was excellent and the shower sink toilet area large and we'll thought out. The bed and pillows were great too.

This small boutique hotel plays as a larger one with great staff, views, good food and service. Highly reommended

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Traveler,

I'm so glad to hear that you had such a nice experience and got the chance to take in our beautiful rooftop. It sounds like you also enjoyed some of our fun Kimpton perks, such as our complimentary Public bike rentals and evening Wine Hour. Good feedback on your restaurant experience, which will certainly be shared with the Chef. I love that you consider us a "gem!" We are so happy that you found us! We hope to have the continued good fortune to welcome you back soon.

Until then,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed there with my daughter over 20yrs. old. It is a little far from the center but faces a wider street. The lobby was so small. So our guests couldn't sit down to wait for us, because some were chattering on the chair. The room was stylish but most pieces of furniture were cheapie, and the bathroom was rather good and water faucet in the bathroom was easy to use but there left a few black hairs on the corner.

Next morning we went up to the restaurant to eat breakfast. The wind was good and the pool looked nice (It was in fall and the pool was out of use.), but sorry to say the dishes we ordered were not so good. One of them was a layer of pancakes, vegetables and sausage with maple syrup. It looked nice but the taste was strange.

If you want to stay more comfortable, this hotel will not be recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Holms11

Dear Traveler,

I'm so sorry to hear that you found your experience to be a bit lackluster. It sounds like we missed the mark in a few areas, so I'm terribly sorry about that. It's my sincere hope that you will give us another try in the future when your travels bring you back to LA. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly (contact info is below) and I will personally see to it that you enjoy a lovely return visit.

Thank you for sharing this constructive feedback. We hope to have the chance to make it up to you the second time around.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

a great kimpton hotel right in the heart of LA.
The room was really comfortable and quiet. As always, they took great care of us and our dog.
The rooftop bar/wading pool was a kick. We only had breakfast there, but I bet the evening cocktail thing is pretty fun there.
The pool is only 3 feet deep, so it's a wading pool to stand in while you have an umbrella drink, not a pool to exercise in.
And of course, it's LA, so there's nothing in walking distance. Plan on driving everywhere. But, you knew that when you planned on visiting LA ...

We'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for your lovely review! I'm so glad you felt well taken care of...and your four legged friend, too! I'm glad you liked our "wading pool", as you put it. It is very "LA!" When you come back and see us again (we hope there's a next time!), we can definitely give you a rundown of all the great LA attractions within walking distance of the hotel.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

All the best,

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I picked this hotel based upon its close proximity to the La Brea Tar Pits and art museums on Wilshire (very easy walk) and the good reviews on yelp and trip advisor. The exterior is a little misleading as its sandwiched unassumingly between two buildings. The interior, however, is just fine. Lobby is small but welcoming with modern touches and complimentary infused water available. We didn't try the pool (closed early evening) or the rooftop restuarant (had two kids with us and menu sounded a little too fancy for their tastes). It didn't seem like a "kid" hotel, but the staff were so very friendly and welcoming that we didn't feel out of place either. (Ours aren't the sort to go screaming and running throughout the halls anyway). Kids did love having a pet goldfish in our room during our stay which was a nice touch. Valet gave directions without prompting and advice on best routes which was nice as often they're just in a hurry to get you on your way. Front desk staff noted that it was our son's birthday and left a note for him with snacks, drinks, a couple of toy cars and even a little something for his sister so she didn't feel left out. They upgraded us to a mini suite which we loved but the only drawback was a lack of blackout curtains. This didn't phase us much since we planned an early start though. The shower in the bathroom made up for it. Plenty of hot water with a generous shower head. Would definitely stay here again if we find ourselves in the area. Thank you Judith and staff for a great stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear Traveler,

I actually remember you and your family from interactions at the Front Desk! It was a pleasure having you with us and I sincerely hope your kids (who were adorable) had a great time. I'm so glad that you found the staff in all areas of the hotel to be warm and welcoming. I'm also happy to hear that your son liked his birthday surprise...and of course we wouldn't leave out his sister! I hope that we will be your first choice of hotel when planning your next trip to LA.

Thanks so much for your kind review!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have always been happy with the Kimpton line of hotels, and this one is no different. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the service is top notch. The rooftop bar and restaurant has a great view of the city. I really enjoyed my stay here and I would definitely stay here again.

I do want to point out some areas of concern. First is the pool. The idea of calling a 3 foot deep are the size of a small bedroom a pool is a little ridiculous. And with tables of the restaurant just a splash away from the pool, I certainly didn't feel comfortable using the pool.

There is no self parking at the Hotel. I usually like to park my own car when I have the option. The valet were great and very helpful, but while the car is parked, you don't have access to your car. The parking area is incredibly tight, at least from what I saw, and sometimes it requires moving a number of cars to get your car out.

A final note about the location, there is not much in the immediate area around the Hotel. There is a sport bar next door, but beyond that, there is not much within a 5 minute walk, at least I didn't find anything. LA is a driving city, so be prepared to walk for a bit or drive.

I hope this isn't coming across too negative, I just wanted to bring up some issues I had with the Hotel in some depth. I did walk to Joan's 3rd street (is in on third street!) and there are number of nice places to eat there, but it is a bit of a walk to get there, maybe 20 or so minutes.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crphilipp

Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I'm thrilled that our staff provided the excellent service you've come to expect when staying at a Kimpton hotel. I'm so sorry however that you were underwhelmed by our pool. You are correct, it is not a lap pool, but instead a great pool to take a dip and escape the heat. It has a very LA vibe, as you are surrounded by a great bar and restaurant and 360 views of the city. If you do stay with us again in the future, definitely chat with our staff at the Front Desk about great dining and attractions within walking distance. We are very close to the Grove and historic Farmers Market, all the museums in Museum Row, West 3rd Street, etc. I truly hope you'll give us another try on your next trip out here.

Thanks again!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was my husband's 2nd stay to this hotel. The hotel is very modern, the rooms very nicely appointed and the bathrooms are sooooo nice. I had the most restful sleep in their beautiful king sized bed. The best thing about this hotel is it is very small and very quiet. The staff were really helpful and nice. You must go to the rooftop bar as it is FANTASTIC. We ate there numerous times and it didn't disappoint. A very good hotel in LA. Take the 20 bus to Santa Monica

Room Tip: We had a side view and it was pleasant. I'm not sure if the rooms over the main road might be a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Traveler,

I am thrilled you enjoyed your recent stay! I agree, our comfortable beds ensure a very restorative night's sleep, so I'm happy that you got some well deserved R&R. Our rooftop is also the perfect place to enjoy some delicious food and cocktails while taking in panoramic views of LA. But at the end of the day, it all comes down to service, so I'm glad you found our staff to be helpful and friendly throughout your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back for stay #3!

Until then,

Reviewed 22 June 2014

As usual Kimpton Hotels never disappoint and this one is no exception. Located just a few short blocks from the LA County Museum of Art the hotel is very trendy in its décor, restaurant, and design. The rooms were very clean, well maintained, and with very large bathrooms and shower stalls, a Great little gem indeed.
The restaurant food was excellent as well as all around service poolside. The pool is very small and only about 3 feet deep so I would not call it a swimming pool, more of a paddle pool, or think it suited to a swim vacation as it is surrounded by a narrow walkway which contains tables and chairs for the diners, as the restaurant eating area is around the pool so any splashing would get everyone wet. The building is long and narrow so there is not much room for a pool or eating area. Reservations I would think are a must on busy weekends, a great place to eat and people watch the LA vibe!.

Room Tip: Room were very quiet, and I would think the suites on the East side of the building provide a far be...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Traveler,

It's always great to hear a rave review from a pro Kimpton traveler. We like to consider ourselves a great little gem as well, so I'm so glad you agree. Our "dipping pool" on the roof is very LA we like to think...In LA, it's all about lounging, eating and drinking poolside. So you got the true LA experience! From the location, to the design, to your room and the food, I'm ecstatic to hear you had such a good time. We look forward to your next visit!

All the best,