“not great”

Ranked #119 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Vancouver, Canada
“not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

I don't normally like to lead with the negatives but in this instance I will. However I would like to state that it is not a hotel of horrors - but there are some serious problems.
Negatives:
* NOISE NOISE NOISE. The walls are paper thin, there was a rude group of Asian tourists staying all over our floor who seemed to think it was ok to stand in the hallway late at night and early in the morning screaming at each other and behaving like children. Many people called out for them to shut up but they never really did. When they were up we were up. It drove us made. We also heard other people and other things we would rather not hear. The floors have no carpet which really does not help for sound proofing with the walls being paper thin.
*Wifi: awful and unreliable. All 3 of us had terrible issues and some ladies in the elevator let us know they had the same issues.
* everything's broken: vending machine, out of order. pool, out of order. front window: cracked and taped up.
* unfinished: while it did not bother us, there were cables hanging out of the wall near the TV. As adults it was not an issue but I would be concerned if I had a small child with me.

I think this hotel is trying to be better, but failing in the execution.

Positives:
* Very good staff: anything we asked for or needed help with - they went out of their way to assist. I have no complaints against the staff they were friendly and helpful and did everything they were meant to
* no billing issues: they had it together
* comfortable beds: very comfy large twin beds in the room with clean linen
* fridge and microwave: this bench area was very good as it gave us more freedom at meal time
*big tv with cable : self explanatory.

I would probably recommend this for younger travelers. Don't have a honeymoon or a family holiday in this place - if you are passing through LA, not that bothered by the hotel just want clean comfortable and in a decent location it will be fine.

Room Tip: bring earplugs. It is a noisy place.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank miss-rachael-leigh
blvdhotelandsuites, General Manager at BLVD Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 22 October 2014
Thank you miss-rachael-leigh for your review of your stay at the BLVD Hotel & Suites in Hollywood. We are sorry to hear that your experience was not an above par one. We have recently switched internet providers and now are smooth sailing with an excellent WIFI signal. We are pleased to here that our staff was very helpful when assisting you. Thank you for your business and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Greek first
Chattanooga, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Thought that the pics online looked really cool, and we took a gamble on whether or not the construction was going to make a difference. I think our room was one of the "remodeled" rooms, however I think "remodeled" means just slapping on a fresh coat of paint. There was a hole in the wall, our toilet did not work several times, and I either had to try and fix it myself or wait on maintenence. Sometimes, they didn't show, leaving us with no working toilet. Also came in one night to find a roach on the wall, and most significantly of all, developed a rash on my arms and legs while staying there. Not sure if it was something they were washing the sheets in or what, but it went away after I went back home. It was really centrally located, which was nice, but there is also not a lot of parking, so beware if you're out late on Fri/Sat. night-you may not have a place to park when you get back. No fitness facility and the pool was a joke, so that was a disappointment as well. Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Aleyoop123
blvdhotelandsuites, General Manager at BLVD Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 28 October 2014
Thank you Aleyoop123 for reviewing your stay at the BLVD Hotel & Suites in Hollywood. It unfortunately seems as though we did not meet your expectations. We thank you for your feedback. For now, we can see what it was that we need to improve on. We appreciate your business. Warm regards!

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

Bit of a let-down for the five of us who visited the BLVD this week...... The staff were friendly and helpful but they are hampered by the limitations of the facility.
There were signs alluding to re-furbishment (allegedly the reason for the Bar being closed) but there was no apparent re-furbishing being done!
It looks like the owners are banking on the massive TV's in the rooms with their all-singing, all-dancing cable access because the rest of the accomadation leaves a bit to be desired. The bathrooms are small and the showers average, the wash basins are in the main body of the room which seemed a little odd.
Overall.... not impressed

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul R
Thank you Paul for review on your stay at the BLVD Hotel & Suites in Hollywood. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the large flat screen TVs and that the staff was nice and helpful. Unfortunately, we did not exceed your expectations. We hope you will give us a second chance and come visit the hotel now that renovations are complete. We appreciate your business Paul. Warm regards!
Santa Clara, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel on 05/11/2013,I always love the boutique, unique character hotels instead of the traditional chain all look-alike ones. The King suite I stayed was spacious and clean however it is where my "great experience" of this hotel came from. I called the hotel and confirm the room with Jacuzzi still available before I booked the "King Suite -With Either A Jacuzzi Or Large - Living Area With Sofa and 2nd TV". The front desk person didn't ask which one I prefer so I assumed it's already in their system since I indicated my preference when I booked it. Of course, I got the room with no Jacuzzi. Called the front desk, explained my concerns then I was told I need to pay another $60.00 if I want to switch. So I had to go down there and show them the confirmation email when I booked the room earlier. After about 15-20 min discussion between themselves then they agreed to get me the room I booked for courtesy purposes??? And here comes the worst part of my nightmare, got into the room, very spacious and clean. After settled down and getting ready to relax then found out the room wasn't completely furnished from the renovations such as TV wasn't hooked up and the on/off switch for the Jacuzzi wasn't even installed. I didn't complain at that moment mainly because after 8 hours of driving from Santa Cruz California to attend a wedding and got to wake up early in the morning to drive back, I rather fell asleep inside the huge bathtub (Jacuzzi) and looked at the 42 inch 'mirror' hanging on the wall instead of discuss the matters with the front desk at 3 in the morning.
I am not sure if the "renovations" are complete or not by now. Please make sure to inform the guest if the room isn't furnished or don't even give it out. I could have got myself electrical shock inside the Jacuzzi tub or worse and I was asked to pay more money for this. I hope this kind of terrible things will be happen to a really nice boutique hotel in the future. Thank You.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 10ysl25
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

The reason I booked this hotel was to not only be close to all the attractions of Hollywood boulevard, but to be within walking distance to the Hollywood Bowl for the Fleetwood Mac concert on 5/25. This hotel delivered on more than just the location ammenity, but it was an extremely clean, extremely quiet hotel. We got down to L.A. earlier than expected and I was delighted to hear that they had a room available for us to check into - even with us being about 3 hours too early. So great! I reserved a King room and it was a cozy, nicely decorated room with all the things an out-of-towner needs (hairdryer, microwave, refrigerator, etc). The bed was super comfy with equally comfy pillows - lots of hot water for soaking our tired feet, and even the soap and shampoo products were outstanding products to be used in a pinch. I really liked the security around the fact that you must use your room key in order to use the elevator, being that the hotel is open to the street, having the security involved with the elevator made me rest easier. The hotel is a quaint, no-fuss and is chicly "boutique" styled, and I can honestly say that if and when I head back down to Hollywood, I WILL be checking the availability at the BLVD first!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Allison R
Thank you Allison R for the kind words about your stay at the BLVD Hotel & Suites in Hollywood. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed so much of our establishment. It is nice to hear we exceeded your expectations. We appreciate your business and hope to see you back soon!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

First off, we had booked this for only a single night. We ended up with a change in plans and attempted to cancel. However, we were informed that the cancellation fee for the room was $126. The same price as the room. We decided to make the best of it and stay the evening.

Hotel looked like it was in the middle of a mini-renovation. There wasn't construction per se, but there was spackle all over the walls, the front desk looked like a unorganized office space, missing things from the hallways (light fixture, ice machine, etc...). It all felt strange since we didn't see anyone working on anything.

the room itself was very dim even with all the lights on, with no way to adjust them brighter (especially the bathroom). There was a small standard office desk, but no desk chair in the room? Wifi was complimentary, but didn't work when attempting to connect a device. It had a potentially cool vibe to the room, but with all these other things stacking against it, that wasn't enough to impress.

The 2 stars of this review are for the cleanliness of the room. Everything was clean and looked to be in order. However, everything else about the hotel didn't impress.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Butt0r
1000 Oaks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

If you want to avoid the chain hotels, check out the BLVD. The staff were incredibly nice, free glass of wine or beer 5-7pm, large comfortable rooms, close to everything. Very clean and spacious. We will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: The freeway side did not keep us awake because it was a constant 'white noise' and we could...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple