“Very unspectacular”

Ranked #95 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Melbourne, Australia
“Very unspectacular”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

There is no reason to stay in Downtown LA. There is even less reason to stay at the Standard. The staff at reception appear disinterested. It seemed like they had better things to do. The room was large but that was all it had going for it. The mattress was so soft that it sunk in the middle while the bed itself was raised on a platform. The TV's position (almost on the floor) meant that you could not watch TV in bed. The bethroom made me feel like I was in a glass enclosed space capsule visible to all. Lucky I was travelling alone and wasn't sharing. Do not use the complimentary shampoo and conditioner as they smell bad (couldn't quite work out what to compare it to). The decor was ugly and this extended to the canary yellow diner. Just a less than average hotel with an above average price tag and an unjustified reputation. I am certain that there would be better places to stay than here.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
JanHenningsen, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, 7 November 2011
Unspectacular is exactly the opposite word we want to describe The Standard! I'm sorry the staff seemed disinterested, we obviously want to provide an amazing guest experience with our team. The beds are super cloud like, but maybe to soft for some. They are very new, more fluffy and tall, but now don't work with the placement of the TV in some of the rooms. We are so close to fixing that...All the amenities are organic and created by Kiss My Face, sorry they were smelly to you. While the decor isn't for everyone, we certainly continue to love it. Thanks for the feedback and the review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fresno, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

Last week I was there from Sunday through Thursday, I usually stay at the Checkers Inn by Hilton. It is a little stuffy and i wanted a younger crowd (late 20's early 30's criowd) The atmosphere was great every night they had a dj in the lobby along with foosball, pool and table tennis. The decor was was great, and different. Really overal everythign worked really well. A few negatives to the place. This might be my own personal experience but $30.00 a day for valet parking is a little high. especially when in the same parking lot they are only charging $15.00. Also the first night there i requested a roll away upon checking in that was $50.00, and i had to request it 3 times. At the bar i ordered my usual captain and coke, except this time it was a 6oz. glass packed full of ice, so i got a shot basically and it was $8.00 and I was told that i couldnt get a double unless i tipped the bar tender and extra amount. (on a side note I feel I am a really fair tipper I usually start at 20% and if you go above and beyond I will certainly compensate you for that.) So this extra grease money to get a double drink which now costs $16.00, that is a little ridiculous. Maybe its because we are in downtown L.A. oh wait except the bar across the street is half the price for twice the drink. Any rate Overall the staff was very friendly and the valet guys did bring my girlfriends cell phone to her room out of her car when she asked. Also the drink girls at the bar did hustle around to keep my drinks filled for me. and the roooftop bar was one of the coolest places I had seen in awhile. Are room was also awesome, It looked like a 70's pimp palace. I would stay there again, and park my car across the street, and drink across the street.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

Very nice design to the room, and you could see that they put some though into it. All the cosmetics in the bathroom were natural, and they were very careful with their selection.

On the other hand due to the location the room can get quite noisy at times, especially in the morning when people drive in to all the office buildings around.

Good location if you have a conference at the LA convention center. It is about 15 minutes walk.
They have a terrific bar on top of the hotel, which can be an up side if you want a nice place to have a drink, but a down side on the evenings when they have parties in there and the hotel gets filled up with a lot of people queuing in for the rooftop bar.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

Get the real LA downtown experience in this hip and happening hotel. Fab-u-lous design, with a great diner and an even better rooftop bar. Loved it. Will stay for pleasure not business next time.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Seattle Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

A group of us gals went to LA for a weekend of shopping and art openings. My friend had stayed at The Standard many times and highly recommended it. Boy, this place is NICE! Swanky digs, unusual beautiful ultra-modern rooms, and excellent service! Everything was great about the hotel. Only drawback is that it's in the heart of downtown, so be prepared to hear the traffic below. Parking can get price-y because of constantly having to tip valets. But everything else was awesome! Delicious breakfast in the little restaurant!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

When you enter, there's all this cool art. While checking in, I asked if one piece in the lobby (a huge white mobile hanging from the ceiling...very cool) was Alexander Calder. The young lady had no idea what I was talking about, and when I asked "is that a real" her definitive answer was "yes, of course it's real" even though she said previously she didn't know who Calder was. It was snippy, rudely delivered, and I was just curious if it was real. Another piece of art located behind the check-in desk was a world map that said "Standard Holdings" and indicated (falsely) that there were Standard "Holdings" in Africa, Australia, and all kinds of far-flung locations (there are only 4 Standard hotels: two in LA, one in NY, and one that was formerly the Lido Hotel on South Beach).

In the spare room, the amenities like shampoo and toiletries were adorably well-branded (Kiss My Face: a granola brand, but very nicely repackaged, and high quality), and the shower's placement gives new meaning to "in-room entertainment." It is what it is - a hipper than thou hotel - you don't stay here for the room, you stay for the scene.

But for the staff to be snippy and the rooms barren, the crowd had better be f**ing gorgeous and/or cooler than the North Pole. After jumping through hoops to get a wristband to check out the roof deck bar area, I was dismayed to see a crowd of people willing to pay like $30 (uncool) for the privilege of paying $15 for a drink at what seemed to be last week's LA cool spot. Super-lame except for the LA interpretation of the Standard NY's biergarten. Cool because everything in LA is maximalist in size and scale...this was a mini.

At about 3am, I retreat to my room after bouncing to 700 Grand and The Varnish (two really cool bars, one with a taxidermy theme, the other prohibition).The hotel itself was a barely-renovated office building. The Lido in Miami is similar in the period (the era of mid-century 70's-ish formica), but here's the grand finale: we go to checkout. We have to pickup the car. No valet guys are around, so we talk to a nice guy in the small parking lot management booth (literally 25 feet from the valet desk outside the standard). At this point, we learn that parking with him would have cost $15. This means we wouldn't have the privilege of tossing our keys to the fresh faced valet guys 25 feet closer to the entrance. We PAYED DOUBLE to park the car with the Standard's valet (which, in all fairness, gives all-day, unlimited in-and-out privileges) versus the unnamed ethnic guy who would park it all day for $15. If you're an overnight-only guest, don't get ripped off. This was icing on the cake, and a crappy ending to our Standard experience.

Room Tip: If you don't need in-and-out, park your car with the little booth in the parking lot, NOT the va...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
JanHenningsen, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Dear 100KatherineC,

I'm pleased to hear you liked the Biergarten - it's brand new and we're really excited to have it at the hotel! The amenities in the room are carefully hand-selected so we're happy you noticed them! I want to apologize that you had a less pleasant experience with some of our staff - we know they are responsible for making a first and lasting impression and making your stay great. Sorry to hear this wasn't the case. As for parking, the overnight is a little pricier than other lots in the area but we find the unlimited in and out privilege is a convenience for our guests. It sounds like you had a fun time exploring the neighborhood so we hope you'll give us a second chance next time you're in town.

Best,
Jan Henningsen

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

As a couple who loves modern style and design, this place was great for us. If you're not then I wouldn't recommend it. Rooftop pool and bar are fantastic and we utilised them both. A morning swim on the top of the Standard truly was an experience. They upgraded our room as we were on our honeymoon. Room was well-designed and felt luxurious. The wifi didn't work in our room which was hugely frustrating. Receptionist didn't seem to care when we reported it so we spent a lot of time at the rooftop bar where the wifi did work. Maybe that's what they want you to do. We found parking a few blocks from the hotel for $15 per night which is better than $30 at the Standard. The location's not great for going out. Downtown more-or-less shuts down at night so we ended up paying a lot for parking as we were taking the car in and out of parking to go out in other parts of LA.

• Stayed September 2011