“The ONLY happening place in downtown LA which is dull as dishwater! Try West Hollywood”

The Standard Downtown
Ranked #98 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 6 November 2011

The Standard Downtown L.A is a stylish and modern design hotel. The staff are friendly and welcoming (a little closer to aesthetically pleasing than true service focus but that was fine). We arrived at the back entrance which I would liken to an old 1980s bank branch with 360 marble finishing and chandeliers - very retro chic. Through to reception, you take in a view of lobby lounge decorated in dark and gold (actually the front entrance) - you begin to get a picture of a party hotel that is more style over substance! Loud dance music booms (we arrived at 16.00pm local time) and lots of cool beautiful people hang around the sleek pink sofas looking like they are discussing their next movie audition or recording session. There's a free pool table that looks more for show.

We stayed in a "Huge" room (that's the room type) on 10th Floor. The room was bright and spacious with great views of downtown L.A. With minimalist design, there's a king size platform bed (very comfortable after an 11 hour flight) and more unusually, there's a large deep bath in the bedroom. Thankfully the loo has a room of it's own and if you need your separation between sleeping/washing, there's a curtain to give you some privacy.

So, all very classy at this point and first impressions are good. We made our way to the rooftop bar, regularly featured in lots of E-Entertainment gossips and the scene for many B-list parties. Lets start by saying, it's "very" L.A and continues the beautiful people theme seen in the lobby bar except....with less clothing. There's a good sized pool up on the roof along with the bar/sun loungers, etc. If you are confident enough to go for a dip, you're likely to live in the gym/munch on cucumber as your main source of nutrition. Its model central up here and I recall being the only person on the roof drinking beer (and proud of it!).

Whilst it's very cool on the roof, it is the source of my main issue with this hotel. On the first night (with jetlag having set in), we went to bed around midnight...Firstly, I DO like to enjoy myself and realise that midnight Saturday is party o'clock in L.A but expected such a modern hotel would perhaps have sound proofed in some way and sleeping 2 floors from the rooftop bar, felt like being in the midst of the party. The music boomed until around 3am and it appears that the 10th floor was being used to stream the glitterati back to the ground floor so there was a constant flow of noise along the hallway outside our door.

It doesn't help the hotel's cause that our neighbours each had some noise moments also. On one side, we had scooby doo (despite a no pets policy in the hotel). In fairness to the poor mongrel, it only barked all night because of the steady flow of noisy traffic outside the door. On the other side, there was a booty call and a couple hours of steady bump and grind which wasn't well disguised through the paper thin walls.

Finally, outside of this trendy hotel, there's not a lot to do in this part of L.A. It's very quiet. Downtown is borderline spooky at weekends and I'd probably opt for the West Hollywood version of this group when I visit Los Angeles again.

Positives; Uber stylish and modern room, excellent and friendly service, beautiful pool, A very happening hotel in what is a very boring part of Los Angeles. Stay here if you; 1. don't need sleep and love to party and 2. have earplugs for when you do need a catnap.

Downsides; Noise was frustrating and for a hotel of this calibre, was surprising. The location is dull and you need to be ready to battle L.A traffic to get to the real action (shopping, partying outside of this one hotel) in Hollywood. It will likely cost you between $20 - $40 in a cab to get to Hollywood (the wide range depends on how much your driver wants to rip you off which we had a few experiences of). The hotel concierge gave us a helpful tip - ask the driver for his/her card when you get in. That will stop them from robbing you.

Overall, a good place and the noise got better as the weekend drew to a close. Ask for a lower floor room but if you are there at weekends, be aware that it's party central.

Room Tip: Not a high floor unless you want to be one of those partying!
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Standard Downtown

Reviewed 30 October 2011

This hotel is not what I'd expected of The Standard. We were in LA for a show @ Nokia Live, and unfortunately other hotels we preferred were sold out. The reception staff was polite enough, but pretentious, much? The room was mediocre to downright depressing in decor; modern does not mean spartan. The TV stand is a cheap roller thing that lies so close to the floor that watching from bed is not ideal. The bed linens were cheap, and my husband's pillow had lipstick stains on it. WORST OF ALL: in the span of 30 minutes we killed 5, yes 5, juicy flies/gnats (not sure exactly what they were except that they were gross) in our restroom. That is just disgusting. The shower wall next to the bed was all glass, allowing whoever's in the bedroom to see you in all your glory. Strange....Also, what the ($@# is up with the toiletries? They smell like crap. Also, the walls are so thin we could hear the pretentious wannabe hipsters next door staying up all night. Luckily we had earplugs! I will never stay here again. Location wise, it's decent. It's downtown LA so use common sense when going out late at night.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Stayed for a night during october 2011. We chose this hotel due to its proximity to the Nokia Theater/LA Live. My wife and I were looking for closer hotels such as JW Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Mardarin Oriental which were right there by the theater but they was no room available.

Pros:
--walking distance: 0.8 mile....about 15 min walk.
--the rooftop lounge is a nice place to drink and hang out

Cons:
--Cheap bedding material/Rather utilitarian-looking room
--Valet parking $30/night
--Poor housekeeping service: I asked for a toothbrush and took 30 minutes and 2 phone calls.
--We killed 5 flies/gnats in the room. I don't know where they came from but this certainly makes a bad impression for sure.
--There's really nothing around there except for the LA Live/Nokia theater/Staples center.
--I would not venture out too far in that area at night, especially if you are a single female traveler.
--We could hear the next door guests talking all night....so glad that we brought our ear plugs.

Room Tip: bring ear plugs
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2011

The people checking me in and out were very nice and efficient. The room service was quick and the food quite good. I thought that the room decor was odd - it looks like they are going for ultra-modern and minimalistic, but the bed is a single mattress on a 6" carpeted platform (see photo). I had back surgery a month ago and I found it difficult to get in and out of bed, even though I am very active in general. If you have back or knee problems, you may want to stay someplace else. Related to that - they have a rooftop bar and sitting area which would be very nice, except that most of the "chairs" are impossible to sit in with any kind of back support. They are more like upholstered single beds with a small cushion at the back. Again, the staff on the rooftop were very nice.

I saw a report of bedbugs in the bedbug registry, but I didn't see any evidence of bedbugs. In general the room (and the hotel in general) looked clean, aside from a little mold in the shower grout. I smelled cigarette smoke and was told that the security personnel are allowed to smoke in the hallways.

Room Tip: I was told that the rooms are pretty much the same decor, but the higher the room the more you will...
Reviewed 28 October 2011

The front desk people were very friendly and helpfull. You cannot watch t.v. from bed as it is sitting on the floor (both the bed and the t.v.! Very uncomfortable. After waiting 20 minutes in the restaurant couldn't get a coffee in the morning. On the second day they closed the pool, bar and roof for a private party. Guess what.....screw you guests. This hotel is more oriented for teenagers to young adults. When things are not shut down for private parties the place must really rock.

It is really a shame because the potential is there. Management needs a lesson is customer relations.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

There is no reason to stay in Downtown LA. There is even less reason to stay at the Standard. The staff at reception appear disinterested. It seemed like they had better things to do. The room was large but that was all it had going for it. The mattress was so soft that it sunk in the middle while the bed itself was raised on a platform. The TV's position (almost on the floor) meant that you could not watch TV in bed. The bethroom made me feel like I was in a glass enclosed space capsule visible to all. Lucky I was travelling alone and wasn't sharing. Do not use the complimentary shampoo and conditioner as they smell bad (couldn't quite work out what to compare it to). The decor was ugly and this extended to the canary yellow diner. Just a less than average hotel with an above average price tag and an unjustified reputation. I am certain that there would be better places to stay than here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
JanHenningsen, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2011

Unspectacular is exactly the opposite word we want to describe The Standard! I'm sorry the staff seemed disinterested, we obviously want to provide an amazing guest experience with our team. The beds are super cloud like, but maybe to soft for some. They are very new, more fluffy and tall, but now don't work with the placement of the TV in some of the rooms. We are so close to fixing that...All the amenities are organic and created by Kiss My Face, sorry they were smelly to you. While the decor isn't for everyone, we certainly continue to love it. Thanks for the feedback and the review.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

Last week I was there from Sunday through Thursday, I usually stay at the Checkers Inn by Hilton. It is a little stuffy and i wanted a younger crowd (late 20's early 30's criowd) The atmosphere was great every night they had a dj in the lobby along with foosball, pool and table tennis. The decor was was great, and different. Really overal everythign worked really well. A few negatives to the place. This might be my own personal experience but $30.00 a day for valet parking is a little high. especially when in the same parking lot they are only charging $15.00. Also the first night there i requested a roll away upon checking in that was $50.00, and i had to request it 3 times. At the bar i ordered my usual captain and coke, except this time it was a 6oz. glass packed full of ice, so i got a shot basically and it was $8.00 and I was told that i couldnt get a double unless i tipped the bar tender and extra amount. (on a side note I feel I am a really fair tipper I usually start at 20% and if you go above and beyond I will certainly compensate you for that.) So this extra grease money to get a double drink which now costs $16.00, that is a little ridiculous. Maybe its because we are in downtown L.A. oh wait except the bar across the street is half the price for twice the drink. Any rate Overall the staff was very friendly and the valet guys did bring my girlfriends cell phone to her room out of her car when she asked. Also the drink girls at the bar did hustle around to keep my drinks filled for me. and the roooftop bar was one of the coolest places I had seen in awhile. Are room was also awesome, It looked like a 70's pimp palace. I would stay there again, and park my car across the street, and drink across the street.