The Standard Downtown
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel Angeleno(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
US$216
US$164
  • Pool
Gateway Hotel Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
US$220
US$215
US$132
US$119
US$462
US$450
  • Breakfast included
The Westin Los Angeles Airport(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
US$193
US$320
US$245
  • Pool
Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
US$136
US$174
US$138
Agoda.com
1,314 results
All reviewsrooftop barping pongtable tennisglass showerfun hotelpool partyfunky hotelvalet parkingwest hollywoodstaples centerbiergartenwaterbedskyscrapersretrodtlanightlife
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights and it was all worth it. The hotel had everything you needed and the staff was very friendly. The Rooftop Bar at this hotel is a must see! The views are stunning and we spent some time here every evening. There are also some very good restaurants in the area and the lounge at the Westin Bonaventure probably has some of the best views of LA from the 35th floor - the lounge rotates and the view changes constantly.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I came here for a weekend conference, it was a nice unique room but they were out of double rooms and had to get a cot... it was reeeeally small but I still got a good sleep. The conference rooms where great and always had snack, coffee and water ready.
The lunches where VERY good as well as every other menu item I had for dinner.

The rooftop patio was very packed Friday night but I only went up for a bit, I went saturday during the time change thinking they'd stay open an extra hour but they actually closed at 0130am which was disappointing, but still fun.

They say you get entrance to the club if you have a room but since I was sharing a room they said only one person gets entrance and the other has to be a guest.

All in all it was a nice Hotel and I got it at a decent price and would stay there again if I was in the area. Some of my friends stayed at the Wilshire just a block away and there rooms were very dated and seemed cramped, so I'm happy I got in where I did.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank atrd86
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Very basic hotel, somewhere to sleep and that is it. The "frosted" glass between the bedroom and shower is not frosted, so if you do not know your room mate intimately you will after this trip.
If you are planning on going to the night club, staying at the hotel is worth it.

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank LittleMissAverage
Reviewed 6 November 2011

The Standard Downtown L.A is a stylish and modern design hotel. The staff are friendly and welcoming (a little closer to aesthetically pleasing than true service focus but that was fine). We arrived at the back entrance which I would liken to an old 1980s bank branch with 360 marble finishing and chandeliers - very retro chic. Through to reception, you take in a view of lobby lounge decorated in dark and gold (actually the front entrance) - you begin to get a picture of a party hotel that is more style over substance! Loud dance music booms (we arrived at 16.00pm local time) and lots of cool beautiful people hang around the sleek pink sofas looking like they are discussing their next movie audition or recording session. There's a free pool table that looks more for show.

We stayed in a "Huge" room (that's the room type) on 10th Floor. The room was bright and spacious with great views of downtown L.A. With minimalist design, there's a king size platform bed (very comfortable after an 11 hour flight) and more unusually, there's a large deep bath in the bedroom. Thankfully the loo has a room of it's own and if you need your separation between sleeping/washing, there's a curtain to give you some privacy.

So, all very classy at this point and first impressions are good. We made our way to the rooftop bar, regularly featured in lots of E-Entertainment gossips and the scene for many B-list parties. Lets start by saying, it's "very" L.A and continues the beautiful people theme seen in the lobby bar except....with less clothing. There's a good sized pool up on the roof along with the bar/sun loungers, etc. If you are confident enough to go for a dip, you're likely to live in the gym/munch on cucumber as your main source of nutrition. Its model central up here and I recall being the only person on the roof drinking beer (and proud of it!).

Whilst it's very cool on the roof, it is the source of my main issue with this hotel. On the first night (with jetlag having set in), we went to bed around midnight...Firstly, I DO like to enjoy myself and realise that midnight Saturday is party o'clock in L.A but expected such a modern hotel would perhaps have sound proofed in some way and sleeping 2 floors from the rooftop bar, felt like being in the midst of the party. The music boomed until around 3am and it appears that the 10th floor was being used to stream the glitterati back to the ground floor so there was a constant flow of noise along the hallway outside our door.

It doesn't help the hotel's cause that our neighbours each had some noise moments also. On one side, we had scooby doo (despite a no pets policy in the hotel). In fairness to the poor mongrel, it only barked all night because of the steady flow of noisy traffic outside the door. On the other side, there was a booty call and a couple hours of steady bump and grind which wasn't well disguised through the paper thin walls.

Finally, outside of this trendy hotel, there's not a lot to do in this part of L.A. It's very quiet. Downtown is borderline spooky at weekends and I'd probably opt for the West Hollywood version of this group when I visit Los Angeles again.

Positives; Uber stylish and modern room, excellent and friendly service, beautiful pool, A very happening hotel in what is a very boring part of Los Angeles. Stay here if you; 1. don't need sleep and love to party and 2. have earplugs for when you do need a catnap.

Downsides; Noise was frustrating and for a hotel of this calibre, was surprising. The location is dull and you need to be ready to battle L.A traffic to get to the real action (shopping, partying outside of this one hotel) in Hollywood. It will likely cost you between $20 - $40 in a cab to get to Hollywood (the wide range depends on how much your driver wants to rip you off which we had a few experiences of). The hotel concierge gave us a helpful tip - ask the driver for his/her card when you get in. That will stop them from robbing you.

Overall, a good place and the noise got better as the weekend drew to a close. Ask for a lower floor room but if you are there at weekends, be aware that it's party central.

Room Tip: Not a high floor unless you want to be one of those partying!
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2011

This hotel is not what I'd expected of The Standard. We were in LA for a show @ Nokia Live, and unfortunately other hotels we preferred were sold out. The reception staff was polite enough, but pretentious, much? The room was mediocre to downright depressing in decor; modern does not mean spartan. The TV stand is a cheap roller thing that lies so close to the floor that watching from bed is not ideal. The bed linens were cheap, and my husband's pillow had lipstick stains on it. WORST OF ALL: in the span of 30 minutes we killed 5, yes 5, juicy flies/gnats (not sure exactly what they were except that they were gross) in our restroom. That is just disgusting. The shower wall next to the bed was all glass, allowing whoever's in the bedroom to see you in all your glory. Strange....Also, what the ($@# is up with the toiletries? They smell like crap. Also, the walls are so thin we could hear the pretentious wannabe hipsters next door staying up all night. Luckily we had earplugs! I will never stay here again. Location wise, it's decent. It's downtown LA so use common sense when going out late at night.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple