“I'm over it!”

The Standard Downtown
Ranked #96 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
“I'm over it!”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I first stayed at this location 9 years ago. It was new and the staff was still happy to have you there. After a few occasions of hanging with friend for cocktails on the roof this hotel became my favorite in L.A. I recently moved across the country and wanted that "feeling" that I missed. So I stayed at the downtown location to bring back that old feeling of LA liveliness. The hotel seems the same. After almost 10 years I expected upgrades to match the rise in room prices. Everything was "standard" to say the least. Housekeeping wouldn't even bring a set of eating utensils to room because I brought in outside food.

I use to Love this place. Needless to say, I'm over it now.

• Stayed December 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Temecula, California
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Our room, one of the humongous rooms, had a huge foot statue in the bathroom. So cool and different. Room has bath which is 10 x bigger than other baths and the bed is on a raised floor not frame. These are fun touches I enjoyed. Restaurant in lobby is great as we had pork chops. Ice maker gives crushed ice in your ice bucket which is ball shaped. Easy walk to macys and wilshire. Heated pool on roof with,a beer garden. This is one of the best in downtown hotel wise.

• Stayed December 2011
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I had the exact same experience as outlined in hollibird's review.
The single uncomfortable chair, the low platform for the bed that you had to remember not to trip over, the curtained off closet, the super low bathroom counter with tile that felt grimy even if it wasn't - all those things made the Standard of lesser quality than other hipster hotels I've stayed at.
Unlike hollibird, I liked the idea of the bathroom's glass walls (I got some great photos of my boyfriend taking a shower) but because we were on the third floor and across from a tall office building and an uphill street, I had to close all the window curtains which, in my opinion is a big design flaw.

I liked the kitsch of the building itself which was clearly a re-purposed office building of another era. And the restaurant was fun with its mod bright yellow decor. I loved that there's a pool table in the lobby. But it all lacked charm and comfort. The staff, for instance was pleasant but didn't match the level of professionalism that I'm used to. I've stayed at too many hotels that are trendy AND high quality. The Standard doesn't make the grade.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 9 December 2011

The Hotel strives to be hip and young. So maybe I am none of those things. The room was large and there was a bathtub in the middle of it - nice touch. But the mattress was as low as I would have expected in some parts of Japan. The room felt like Ikea on sale.
The service was attentive and the staff friendly (Except parking)
Overall, even with GPS, it was hard for me to find the entrance

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 December 2011

So - staying at the Standard was an experience. I was traveling on business and found this to hotel to feel more like a dormitory than a hotel.
The good:
- Staff was polite; guys working in valet were particularly courteous and helpful
- I liked the lotion they provided.
- The restaurant had great breakfast.

Okay, let me preface this by saying I'm almost 40...and this hotel was not my scene. The night prior to my stay at hte Standard was at the Intercontinental. Some folks love this place, but I'm apparently not hip enough to appreciate it. Here's my take.

The bad:
- The desk was basically a bar that ran from wall to wall.
- I had one chair in my room. It was a not very comfortable hard resin chair. If anyone came to visit, seating options were limited. However, if you left the shower curtain open, someone could sit on the toilet and still see everything in the room.
- The bed was placed on a raised platform on the floor...careful at night or you might trip on the platform as it extends beyond the size of the mattress.
- The TV (decent sized flat panel) sat on a cube only about 12 inches off the ground.
- The small 1" x 1" tiles int he bathroom never felt clean to me...grout jsut didn't look right and was unsettling.
- The counter in the bathroom is exceptionally low...very awkward.
- The closet was "concealed" behind a curtain.

Honestly - the place felt like a hodge podge of cheap furniture items thrown together. It simply wasn't the place for me. And, the glass shower will not allow you any privacy if you're traveling with a companion.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for non-smoking floors.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank hollibird

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 December 2011

A good location to access Koreatown, Chinatown, Staples Center and other neighborhoods surrounding downtown LA. The outdoor bar scene is a bit showy for me on business, but did offer something to do in close proximity, as there isn't much going on downtown.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Downtown LA has a different vibe from the rest of the city. Don't expect beaches, theme parks or the nuttiness of Hollywood that one expects on a Los Angeles vacation. Downtown is gritty with highrises and artsy people. It is much more what one expects from New York.

The Standard is a sexy, chic hotel with a sense of humor about itself that would make it a great place to stay for visiting artists, hip couples or anyone who wants a slightlier trendier stay.

My room was well-decorated with a comfy bed and see-through shower that would could spark fun for a couple. The lobby was hip, with luxe furniture and a bar off the main lobby. But what The Standard is known for is the rooftop bar. Dance floor with DJ, Waterbeds, Swimming pool with swim-trunk vending machine, overpriced drinks and great views.

I would recommend this hotel more for individuals who are in town for purposes other than the usual Los Angeles location. While Downtown has many attractive elements such as off-beat nightlife, clothing boutiques, and an art scene, it is a strong distance from most tourist attractions. It is convenient to the Staples Center and the LA Convention Center, if you are in town for a conference or to catch a game.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends