“Famous from start to finish”

The Standard Downtown
Ranked #99 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I was very well taken care of at The Standard. From the moment I arrived, until check-out, I was treated like a star.

It began curbside, when the hotel's valet service helped unload my bags.

For your information, there are two options for parking at The LA  Standard's downtown location.  There is a well staffed valet, as well as an on-site parking structure.  The difference in price is not noteworthy, and for the ease and convenience of valet, I suggest having your car parked by the professional and courteous staff.

The star treatment continued when we were upgraded from the Standard Double room, to the Humongous Suite.

Our extravagant room featured a generous couch, king sized bed, and desk that ran the width of the room.

With it's enormous, rectangular bathtub, separate shower stall area, considerable closet, and separate toilet area, there is ample room in the bathroom, allowing more than one person to get ready at once.  In fact, there is so much space in the restroom that it boasts a scooter sized black foot art installation.

Wifi is included in your stay,and there are several cable TV channels available for viewing on the flat screen TV.  Although between the rooftop bar, cute patio restaurant, and central location downtown, you definitely won't want to spend too much time in your room.

The Standard's 3rd floor gym is state of the art, though the decor harkens back to a decidedly lower tech era.  The wood paneled walls, plaid carpeting, and photos of fitness heroes like Bruce Lee, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Lou Ferrigno, and Wonder Women, make it easy to imagine you're working out in the basement of someone's house, circa 1978.  Far from a negative, this only makes the space more endearing, and fun to work out in.

If there is one place on earth where everyone deserves to have "VIP" treatment, it's LA.  My stay at The Standard was VIP from start to finish, and I guarantee I will visit there again.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 June 2012

First tip on staying here. Close the bathroom door and turn the fan on. Hopefully that will prevent the smoke alarm from going off. I wouldn't know - I didn't do either and ended up dripping wet, naked, and frantically trying to turn off a horrendously loud smoke alarm. I suggest detaching it from the wall and throwing it under the mattress. When I called the front desk to let them know it seemed like they were well acquinted with this problem - probably happens daily there.

Beyond that, hotel was ok at best. My non-smoking room smelled of smoke. I know modern design is a cool thing at hotels and tend to enjoy it, even if I wouldn't decorate like that at home. I've become a big fan of W hotels. This is not that. This is the least practical hotel room that I have ever stayed in. I didn't watch TV, but the fact it was on the floor off to the side didn't really make me want to deal with it. The bed platform is quite a toe-stubber, it seems to be everywhere. I personally don't mind the glass bathroom but I could see it bothering many others.

Should I have to stay in DTLA again it will not be at The Standard.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Nice property - great views from the rooftop - rooms a little grungy for my taste. Restaurant was good for breakfast, dinner and room service. Probably a fun place to stay, but when you are there for work and need to sleep, not the best place!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Melissa V
JanHenningsen, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

We are a fun place, with many different events, DJ's, art installtions, pop up bands and even pop-up stores happening in the Hotel. With so much going on, we realize we might not be the right choice for everyone. Thank you for the great comments about our restaurant. We use local farm ingredients and are just about to launch a new menu along with Dine LA. YUM!

Reviewed 30 May 2012

I booked some employees here for a week and they were very happy with the rooms the hotel and the service. I am looking forward to visiting while I travel down to LA on business.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Thanks for letting us know the feedback from your employees. We do get a lot of positive feedback from our corporate clients because we are fun and interesting alternative in Downtown. We definetly enjoy adding a bit of spice to business trips. We can't wait for you to come back with them!

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Rooms are funky and bathtubs/showers are right int he room, just separated by clear glass. Beds are on a platform and if you get up at night you have to remember that and not trip on it and remeber to roll out of bed because it is too close to the floor to stand up. Also - and this is so NOT cool, there is no coffee maker in the room. Such a simple thing but it seems SO CHEAP of the hotel to be missing that. There is parking next door which is much cheaper than the hotel but no in-an-out and you must be out fairly early in morning.So, if you are ok with these things, it is reasonably priced for downtown LA and quite efficient.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2012

This is the second time we've stayed here - love being Downtown and away from the madness of West Hollywood/Beverly Hills.

Foyer is dark and private, check-in process is smooth, rooms are huge and have everything you need.

Rooftop bar is iconic and absolutely worth spending some time up there.

Complimentary wifi is great and I wish all hotels would jump on board with this. Plenty of options to eat nearby, although you can't really do LA properly without a car...

Given the extremely reasonable rack rate for the rooms; we wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Definitely not your standard hotel (that's probably why the logo is "The Standard" standing upside down). The decor is definitely 60's mod. It took some getting use to. You either are going to love it or hate it. As other reviewers have stated, it is very minimalist, no bedside tables. bed on a raised platform, no dressers but cubicles to put your clothes etc. I had a large room which was spacious enough for myself, my wife and a roll away for my daughter. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly and very attentive. We would call for extra towels and had them before you knew it. The restaurant food was okay, but expensive. The roof top is really nice, great views, warm pool and bar. This hotel is definitely a party place. On Saturdays in the summer they have a pool party open to the public, for a fee. All sorts hang out there from business people to hipsters. It's worth a try if you are looking for a place that breaks the mold. The one reviewer says it more resembles a backpackers hostel, I take issue with that, but it does seem that tattoos are standard. I was here for my son's graduation from USC.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family