“Minimalist is great”

Ranked #92 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
“Minimalist is great”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Really liked the room, as minimalist as it is. While there are no drawers, there's plenty of shelves and closet space in which to put clothes. Think of it as having less places to lose your stuff before checking out. Loved the spacious glass shower. Amazing.Staff was very helpful and professional. The main restaurant was pleasant and the food was excellent. I didn't try Spin upstairs though; I'm antisocial. But I understand it's fun.
Only problem was a corporation across the street decided to share their Christmas party with an entire four block radius. The noise was incredible until 11 PM but, with the help of earplugs thoughtfully provided by the hotel, I was able to sleep. I will certainly return if I have to do business in this area again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Joyce - thanks so much for the review and we're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're in Downtown Los Angeles and Happy Holidays!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Irvine, California
Reviewed 9 December 2013

It was a last minute decision to stay an extra night in LA and move from the W Hotel in Hollywood to The Standard downtown…. TERRIBLE decision to make the move. My room was on the 3rd floor directly above the ping pong lounge or whatever. The music was so loud, my room was rattling and I couldn’t hear the TV. I called the front desk to complain and apparently it was my fault that I got a room on the 3rd floor. They “recommend you don’t stay on the 3rd or 12th floor because they are loud.” I didn’t book a hotel room to listen to my neighbors; I booked a room to sleep.

I couldn’t take it any longer and decided to go out for the night; after all I had top 40 hits rattling my cold concrete box of a room. I sat at the valet for 5-10 minutes with no service or anyone to take my car when I pulled back in after my night out. Parked it myself, then went to the front desk to see what the deal was. I was greeted by a rude/ arrogant front desk clerk who took with my keys and offered no condolences for the inconvenience.

The following morning I went down to speak with a manager. The front desk manager, Stephanie S. was very nice and professional. This was the first time someone tried to make things right. They ended up giving me a 25% discount on the room and took care of the movies I ordered (to mask the sound of the club below me). Pretty poor remedy to a terrible night’s stay/ terrible customer service. 25% isn't worth the Starwood points I lost by switching hotels.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Travis F
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Travis - we're sorry to hear that your stay with us was disturbed by the event taking place in our ping-pong club SPiN. I have also left a message on your Yelp review but please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss this further.

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Long Beach, California
Reviewed 6 December 2013

If you're looking for a swanky downtown venue with views - this is it! The top floor roof-top terrace bar has a swimming pool and futuristic-like "POD" seating. Makes you feel (almost) like you're in New York city!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thanks for the great review Rebecca and we hope we can welcome you back the next time you're in Los Angeles!
San Juan Capistrano, California
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Not good. If you never stayed in a nice hotel, you will be unimpressed. From the time you pull in the driveway/ lot, lobby is small, dark, and cheap. I don't see how anybody would be impressed. This is an old building with cheap fixtures and decorations. The staff was nice. Supposedly, I was given an upgrade. I can't imagine what the basic room looks like. The hallway way is dull, and creepy. The room looks like they had forgot to put any furniture in it. The mattress was on a raised carpeted structure with no box spring. There was one plastic (patio) chair in the room. Absolutely no art or decorations. No table. The tile in the bathroom looked like it had been there since the sixties. The bathroom had one small sink with no running cold water. The hot was very hot. Only two bath towels and two hand towels. I felt like I was in a hospital room or on a military base. Boring! Please do yourself a favor and book elsewhere. At very least, ask to see the room before you lay down the card. It wasn't even ok.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and stay somewhere else. Please!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Hi Bob and thanks for taking the time to write a review. Our design is of a minimal nature so I understand that this wasn't to your liking. Please do let us know during your stay if you experience any issues with the plumbing so our engineering team can see to it straight away. Our housekeeping department would always be happy to offer extra towels upon request. We're sorry to hear that your stay with us wasn't what you had hoped for. Please do contact me directly should you wish to return and I'd be happy to take care of your request myself.
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed here from the 1st till the 5th of Novemeber. This was our third time staying here within the last couple of years and it's still our favourite of the places we've stayed Downtown. Front desk was awesome and accommodating after our 14 hour flight. Checked us right in and were able to upgrade us to a Gigantic room which was amazing. Really big room with a massive bathroom and hot tub.
Our stay was extremely relaxed, comfortable and without complaint. Awesome location, which we knew already.
I've read some reviews below and really don't understand why, after seeing photos of the rooms on The Standard website or on the third party site they booked through, someone would not know what to expect at this Hotel. The design of the rooms is minimalist and different but very comfortable. There are see through showers in some of the rooms. There will be music and people drinking on the roof top. The staff will be laid back but professional. If you would like a more conventional business hotel with a work desk and lamp and complete silence, The Sheraton is just across the street.
I'd also like to thank the staff member who returned my passport to me which i'd "misplaced" after a few too many the night before. He saved us a massive headache and a costly replacement at the start of our month long hoilday!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thanks so much for the great review and we're always delighted to hear from repeat guests! Our team really care about the guests experience and we're happy to hear that you experienced this first hand. Have a wonderful holiday and we're looking forward to welcoming you back to The Standard, Downtown L.A!
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Fun and friendly staff. Professional service and a quality experience provided along the whole stay - fun designed rooms with a chic personality, fast room service, attentive staff in the lounge and bier garden upstairs. John and the guys in the BierGarden really know their drinks. Thank you guys!

We stayed here 2 days last weekend would definitely recommend to an eclectic crowd that is there for a memorable experience.

Room Tip: Try the beet smoothie if looking for an tasty way to start the morning (or end a late night). Had Th...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the review and we're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope you can come back again soon and enjoy our Winter Cocktail Menu in the Biergarten!
Highland Park, Illinois
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Very stylish hotel, trying a bit too hard in places, but overall a nice, fun, eclectic hotel. A classy rooftop pool and bar with waterbed lounges, and a fun black-light ping pong bar.

The platform bed was so low that I practically had to crawl out of it on your hands and knees in the morning. The public bathroom had "Adult" ads to read above the urinals. Just a crazy, unique place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thanks for the review and we're happy to hear you enjoyed yourself! We'd love to welcome you back for your future visits to Downtown Los Angeles.