“travel alone or with love” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Standard Downtown

The Standard Downtown
Ranked #91 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Boston, Massachusetts
“travel alone or with love”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2010

Simply put, perfect stay for 2 days, comfortable quiet, great bed and view, just nothing but good as I subsequently flew off to Central America and needed time to gather thoughts. Found good food in the neighborhood, and interesting areas like MSNBC 8 blocks away, and Macy's for light pants and shorts. Even had a haircut with lobby barber, that's trusting nature, huh! The roof top pool, no I went in, and did the porpoise thing for 30 minutes, while wind swept across the water, a good stiff breeze, delighting the sun, and a beautiful woman lounged on one of three water mattress spaceships...what more? I ain't saying.. See my video on Youtube, The Standard Hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
AZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2010

If you want to stay on the Sunset Strip - the hotel is located near a number of bars, restaurants and hang outs. If you expect your room to be cozy with amenities you might expect from the W, Westin, or even a Holiday Inn...this is not the place for you. A box of tissue is all the frills this place has to offer - at no cost. The website says that the Large room can accomodate 4 people and I think that is misleading. The Large room has 2 FULL size beds which surprised us when we arrived because the beds were clearly not big enough for 4 adults to share unless you don't mind your friend's elbow or knee hitting you in the middle of the night. Stay away from the mini bar - we were charged for something that we did not use - maybe they charged us for just touching the mini bar? I also received a call from valet service during our stay that there had been a "mix up" with our car. Thankfully, our rented wheels were ok...crisis averted. In a nutshell, the place sucked.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2010

What a treat! It's a fusion of mid-century + mod + hip. The staff was warm, welcoming, and competent. The rooftop lounge is amazing with heated pool is the coolest place to have a drink and a snack or hang out all day. The rooms are clean & edgy. Beds are are on a low platform but comfortable. Bathrooms are not for the shy. This is no ordinary hotel!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Quito
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2010

This hotel tries to be "hip" and "modern", and probably it would be a good option for those in the party scene. But for us who travel on business, it isn't the best place to stay. Rooms are kind of uncomfortable, the mattress is on the floor, and the chair for the desk is cheap hard plastic, not suitable for working long hours. On my stay, I had problems with the toilet. Unexpectedly it started to "bubble" and it released a nasty gas with the stench of sewage. And also, the safe had a very unreliable locking system. I was keeping there my important travel documents, but one day when I tried to open it up, the display showed "Err" and it couldn't be opened. I had to call the front desk, luckily the technician was able to open it with his special PDA. After that, I better kept my documents in my luggage with a lock. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for business travelers, but if you are a young partying animal, this is not a bad place, although a little expensive.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2010

The best thing about this hotel is its location. It's right in the middle of downtown which means there are plenty of restaurants, bars, etc within walking distance which is a rarity in LA. And if you have to be downtown for business in my opinion you can't do much better. It's also very convenient to the East Side (Silverlake, Echo Park) which is where I prefer to spend time while in LA, so for me that's a plus. If you're a tourist coming to see Hollywood this probably would not be the hotel for you.
I had no problem with noise, I found it to be very quiet and slept quite well on the mattress. The rooftop pool/bar is really beautiful although probably something you want to avoid on a Friday/Saturday night. It is a little strange that the hotel lobby seems to turn into a club on weekend nights, but also funny and unique.
The service is very hit or miss. There aren't coffee makers in the rooms or complimentary coffee downstairs which I found irritating, but you can buy it at the bar and there's a starbucks across the street. Wi-Fi is free for hotel guests which is a nice amenity.
I would recommend this hotel for everyone, my parents even stayed here once for the weekend and thought it was a lot of fun, but you should know what to expect. It's certainly not for the conservative or for those who are expecting the five star experience.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2010

I find this hotel confusing. On one hand the retro look is amazing. The commitment to the theme is all encompassing. The roof top bar is spectacular and if I hadn't spent so much time trying to roll out of the onion shaped water beds, I might have seen the view that my friends said was amazing. The downstairs bar/restaurant has a fabulous yellow colour scheme that shouldn't work but somehow does and some shag carpeting with cynical quotes scrolling up on an LED display. The barber and shop in the lobby are gorgeous and we couldn't walk past without checking them out.

On the other hand the basics I expect of a hotel weren't always up to par. The pillows were small and uncomfortable. The toiletries in our rooms were half used and we had to ask several times for new ones. In fact, that was a recurring theme, the staff were most willing to help but the communication between staff was so poor that we almost always had to ask twice. The bathrooms were big but the big glass window between the shower and the rest of the room made me anxious despite the sheer modesty curtain we could pull across it. Some of the staff didn't seem to have a great knowledge of the area but made an attempt to help us anyway.

Overall, the theme saved the day. Was it the best hotel service I've ever enjoyed? Of course not. But it was an experience and when you travel, sometimes that makes up for whatever shortcomings a hotel might have.

I wouldn't recommend this to my parents because the beds would be too low and they always say that when you've lived retro, it doesn't appeal as much; but to my friends who appreciate commitment to a theme, or who are experimenting with the hipster lifestyle, I would definitely recommend giving it a go.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

If you're expecting comfort and convenience from your stay, you should probably look elsewhere. Rooms are spartan: Mattress is on the floor (well, a little platform), no night table, inadequate lighting. TV is on the floor, too. No pictures on the wall. (Actually reminded me a lot of my first apartment, when I didn't own any furniture.) Lots of traffic noise from the street below, even on the 11th floor. Cold pizza from room service. No doorman or concierge or help with your luggage. If hip lobby design is more important to you than all that, you might well enjoy it. It's a great location, and the rooftop open-air bar scene is worth a visit on a temperate night.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business