“Party hotel but ok for quick stays”

The Standard Downtown
Ranked #93 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
san francisco
“Party hotel but ok for quick stays”
Reviewed 17 April 2010

Ok, the reviews are definitely right - this is a party hotel. On a saturday night the hallways smell like pot and the pre-parties are happening in the hall. The ratio of me:drunk girls would have been excited 15 years ago but now i'm old and boring.

But contrary to some of the other reviews i found the staff to be helpful and as requested they put me in a quiet room.

The room itself had its wear marks but overall was well appointed and easy to live in.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ballywherever
Reviewed 28 March 2010

The Standard is a GREAT hotel... it has such a cool atmosphere, all the design quirks are brilliant, and it is really comfortable and clean. My room was beautiful - light and bright, quiet, private, large and so well designed. There was even an ipod dock in my room! The bed, sheets and pillows were unbelievably comfy. And the rooftop bar is fantastic! I would love to give this place 5 stars. But sadly, I found the front desk staff really unhelpful and rude. They really try to be cool hipsters but while this might add to the hotel's trendy atmosphere, it doesn't work when it comes to good customer service. They were very rude when I was checking in. For the duration of my stay there was a problem with the phone in my room and I could not access my voicemail messages or receive any phone calls. Although I asked them repeatedly to fix this for me, they seemed uninterested and the problem was never resolved. Having said that, the hotel was so gorgeous that I would love to stay there again! If you can deal with the too-cool-for-school staff, definitely go for the Standard!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Seabrook, Maryland
Reviewed 18 March 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. We were a little worried because neither of us are the partying type and this hotel is apparently known for it's rooftop bar. We were on the 4th floor, so at night you could hear the traffic noises (the high fan setting on the A/C took care of that) but we didn't hear any music, partying or next door neighbors. The rooms are very clean and "modern", with white walls, tiles, sheets, etc. Some people called it sterile but it makes any stains or dirt stand out, which I didn't find. The room we stayed in had a bathroom with a glass walled shower, so a person sitting on the bed could see into the shower. Obviously not recommended for friends traveling together or modest people. The hotel is 2 blocks away from the subway and a block away from all the major bus stops. If you're looking for a decently-priced hotel in the heart of downtown close to multiple forms of transportation and you're not looking for all the frills, this hotel is perfect.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cyanicdelphis
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 15 March 2010

I went to the Standard (downtown LA) for my bachelorette party. There were 10 girls looking to hit the town. When we first arrived the valet was very confusing. The first car was told to leave everything in the car and that valet is $33 a night and would be charged to the room. The second car was about 3 minutes behind us and the valet told them they had to pay $30 cash up-front and carried up all their own bags.

The rooms were clean and very european. Low comfortable beds and a very interesting clear wall going into the bathroom. (The shower curtain did create a non see-thru barrier). They had a super fun mini bar, filled with Mr. Bubbles (even though there isn't a bathtub?) flip-flops and a condom. However, the room did not have an ice-bucket or coffee maker, go figure!

The rooms were very comfortable and the rooftop bar is awesome. The food and atmosphere is unbeatable. The wait staff was friendly and quick.

The rest of the hotel staff was extremely unhelpful! They were rude at times and definitely more interested in everything but helping guests! We tried to get cabs and they gave us a number that didn't come to the area and then said they didn't anything else to give us. We tried to get a number for pizza and they said they had one. When we called, it was a restaurant delivery service. It was a $50 cab ride to Hollywood so if you are wanted to hit the town at night, this is not the place to go! If you are staying in downtown or want a very chic place for drinks with a view the standard is where you wanna be.

Our last night we decided to stay at the restaurant for dinner while we waited for our cab, we ended up getting a number from security. We split up the bill and the waiter ended up double charging one of the people and then took 15 minutes to clear it up. The charges did end up clearing from his card, but it wasn't until 5 days later.

I think they have many management issues, but if they can find some people who are happy and helpful, this could be a perfect downtown option!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
km59257
Reviewed 6 March 2010

Booked a room at the Standard before i read the reviews, and then i was really nervous about our stay. Our expectations of a hotel are different than other travellers, i guess, becuase we were thrilled with the Standard. It was easy to get to from LAX, and the parking was great. Justin checked us in, and was super friendly. The hotel is beautiful, but my taste is different than the average person. I loved the sleek lines and modern look. Our room was super clean, with lots of cool extras. As said before, the bathroom is unconventional, but i am fine with being naked in full view so it worked out just fine :) i can see how a more modest person would not be thrilled though. I must point out that the grout is obviously meant to be grey in the bathrooms, NOT white and dirty as reported by others. SOmeone who knows nothing about and does not appreciate mdern design should not stay here. the lack of tacky art and nasty patterns was truly refreshing. If this is what dorm rooms really look like, you must have gone to a pretty nice school!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
New York City
Reviewed 3 March 2010

The hotel is located a few blocks away from Skid Row in downtown LA. The hotel itself tries to be very 'LA hip'. There is a salon, a bar, a restaurant, a rooftop pool. It might be a nice place to stay if you want to take someone for an authentic "LA hipster night out". I would recommend this hotel to someone IF they HAD to be downtown for some reason or they wanted a hotel where they could party with wanna be socialites.

The beds are super comfy, the TV works and the bathrooms and big and clean. But the decor is kinda gross and it has an IKEA feel to it.

PROS:
- Comfy beds
- Good food at the restaurant
- Nightlife hot spot for LA Hipsters

CONS:
- Location is horrible
- You have to valet your car
- Room decor needs an upgrade
- Expensive

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 March 2010

Simply put, perfect stay for 2 days, comfortable quiet, great bed and view, just nothing but good as I subsequently flew off to Central America and needed time to gather thoughts. Found good food in the neighborhood, and interesting areas like MSNBC 8 blocks away, and Macy's for light pants and shorts. Even had a haircut with lobby barber, that's trusting nature, huh! The roof top pool, no I went in, and did the porpoise thing for 30 minutes, while wind swept across the water, a good stiff breeze, delighting the sun, and a beautiful woman lounged on one of three water mattress spaceships...what more? I ain't saying.. See my video on Youtube, The Standard Hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo