“a huge disapointment”

The Standard Downtown
Ranked #104 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 18 September 2010

the staff was very rude. Took almost 2 hrs. to check in. No free parking, each time you
left the parking lot it cost $15.00 to park again. I was told by the staff i could park on
the street, but i would probably get a ticket. The staff needed a credit card to hold,
just in case i stoled pillows or brought a chainsaw to my room? Lobby music was so
loud you hear and feel the vibrations in my room on the third floor. The staff made my
visit horrible because they were so snooty and rude.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2010

I apologize for any rude behavior you experienced from our staff! Check in is usually not a problem for arrivals after 3pm, sometimes there are delays for early arrivals on the weekends - I am not certain why your check in was delayed, but again apologize for the inconvenience. Overnight parking for our guests is $30 with in and out privileges - our one time visitor parking fee is $15. Many hotels do require a credit card guarantee for incidental charges such as in-room movies, minibar, room service and general charging throughout the Hotel.

We do create a party atmosphere with the use of live DJ's in our Lobby and on The Rooftop, especially on the Weekends. Regardless of the details of our general operating rules, snooty and rude have no place at our Hotel! Again, I am sorry for the disconnect with our staff.

Reviewed 17 September 2010

I stayed in a room facing the front entrance, ok the music is LOUD from 9 to about 2 in the morning, even if you close the window. Every time you turn the hot water on, it immediately smells like SEWAGE! gross! Plus at 2 in the morning the toilet started bubbling over and there was foam about a foot high above the toilet seat and it spilled onto the floor. I stayed with my dog, but the guest next door complained about the barking and we were asked to leave immediately. Good thing there was a female manager who handled the situation appropriately because the woman at the front desk who called me initially lacked total customer service. Nicole, who checked me in, was a sweetheart, however the male manager who worked the shift with her was a total douche. He could not be bothered at all to look in your direction or say anything to you. The rooms are clean overall, the sheets were really comfortable. I would not recommend the room service, it was pretty gross and overpriced! The location is great, valet is $33 a night, if I weren't stressed out I would've found another place to park, there are lots of locations nearby. The free wifi was a perk I appreciated, it worked pretty quickly.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2010

So sorry about the bumpy stay! We are indeed pet friendly, but don't encourage leaving dogs unattended in the guest rooms. They can get restless and disrupt other guest visits. I can not explain what may have happened with the toilet or the smell you experienced but both would be hard to find tolerable. Staff like Nicole embody all that is terrific in Hospitality! We usually leave a much better impression on our guests - please accept our apologies for the poor performance.

Reviewed 9 September 2010

We read many bad reviews before we stayed at The Standard Downtown in August, and were worried about what we'd find (we made the mistake of reading reviews AFTER we'd booked!). Neither of us are party animals, so the reports of loud noise and rowdy teenagers did make us a bit concerned. By the photos we saw, I was also concerned that the decor may be way too pretentious for our liking - I like cool and chic places, but nothing too 'out there'.

It turns out we had nothing to fear at all. The place is fantastic! Location wise its perfect, with lots of bus stops close by, and two Metro stations within easy walking distance (One is Pershing Square, I forget the other one. We did find the Metro network as a whole to be a bit poor though). There are lots of tramps at night in downtown, but stick to the main streets and you'll be fine.

The rooms were pretentious, but not enough to annoy us. Nice and spacious, with a big screen TV and comfy bed. Yes - the reports about bathrooms with clears glass through to the room are true, but are great fun for couples ;) I also read reviews about rooms not been clean/smelling of dampness, but didn't see any of this in ours (we were on the 4th floor).

In terms of noise at night, we heard none at all and got a great night's sleep for all four nights we stayed, and that included a Friday. Yes, the rooftop bar does get busy, mainily with non-residents, but its hard for non-staying guests to access the hotel part, so therefore their isn't much noise. Perhaps the floors higher up experience noise, but the 4th floor was certainly quiet. As for the bar itself, its amazing! Pool, cool seating areas and a breathtaking 360 degree view of the skyscrapers. As I say, we are not partying types and only stayed for one drink when we went in the evening, but felt very welcome and comfortable. I was expecting the bar to be full of people who look like rejects from The Hills, but everyone seemed chilled and down to earth.

We also found the staff to be efficient and friendly, and the 24-hour restaurant is perfect for breakfast. Try the omlette with home fries!

Hopefully this will help change some people's minds about the place. We would 100% definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LondonBenP
Reviewed 7 September 2010

This hotel is was the best Ive ever stayed at! The location is in the financial district. Bus stop to Santa Monica is opposite taking around 30 mins and the metro train is under a 2min walk taking under 20 mins max to Hollywood.
The lobby - Chic with a DJ playing great music welcoming guests on a night.
The restaurant - Value for money and great food, the breakfast is delicious, open early til 2pm.
The reception - The staff are very friendly with lots of information. There is also a hair salon and shop.
The rooms - Very spacious, comfortable and clean. Towels and bedding changed everyday.
The best thing about this hotel is the ROOF TOP BAR and POOL. Very fun, trendy hot spot for professional people having after work drinks during the week and weekends great pool parties and great atmosphere on a night. The people who visit are very friendly of all ages, single and couples. I met some great people here.
I would definitely stay here again, infact I would not stay anywhere else!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank WorldJetSetter26
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I stayed at The Standard for three nights over the weekend and really wanted to check out as soon as I entered the room but decided to give it a chance. The lobby was definitely a party scene with a long line outside for the rooftop bar and techno/house music poured through the lobby and restaurant. The room had an institutional feel, like the waiting room of a 1970s doctor's office. It reminded me of the movie "A Clockwork Orange" but not in a good way. There was a mattress on the floor with average bedding, a L shaped couch covered in some orange synthetic fabric and the walls were all white with a hideous striped wallpaper print over one wall. The bathroom felt like a high school locker room but with a large foam black foot in the middle and the toliet paper and tissues were poor quality. The first night's stay was tolerable, but the next two nights were hell as the hotel turned into party central and there was a birthday party in the room next to us and the music literally pounded through the walls all night. I had to call security 3 times to quiet them down, but they barely turned the music down. Finally it stopped at 3am, but the walls were very thin and I could hear everything. It was hell and even though the next night I was assured the birthday party guests checked out somone equally obnoxious checked in sunday night who had the same taste in music. The rooms were all sold out and we had no choice but to stay. There ar even more odd things that happened with our room but all I will say is if you are not coming here to party and have any real standards then avoid this hotel. The only positive was that the staff tried to be helpful and the restaurant was pretty good and stayed open 24/7.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Mpmark
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2010

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at The Standard. It truly seems like we were not the right fit for your visit to Downtown LA. Our rooms are designed to be a mix of a variety of contemporary styles which not everyone loves (but we do!). A platform bed is certainly a departure from what most guests have in their own bedrooms. Our Summer weekends at The Standard are alot of fun for the many guests enjoying our Pool Parties by day and The Rooftop Bar by night, that spirit does spill into the guest rooms as well and we do try to respond to disruptive behavior which keeps neighbors from getting to sleep. I am sorry that this experience was not what you were looking for at all! Weekdays at the Hotel we have a very different tone throughout the Hotel and on the weekends many of our guests just want to let their hair down!

Reviewed 9 August 2010

I was in LA on business for 2 weeks moving from area to area, and had the weekend free so wanted to party some! I read some of the reviews on TA and was reticent, but also have partied at locations like this in Europe so had no missconception of what i was getting myself into.

Check in and Valet was smooth and quick - despite me arriving at 9pm when it was busy with revellers.

The staff at the doors/elevators/roof top access were funny, amicable and approachable; i was laughing with one of the lower escatlor door man about how i kept going up and down while waiting for some friends.

There was a noise complaint from one of the rooms on my floor, so we had a knock on the door by some hotel staff - despite being surprised that they knocked on our door first!!! - we pointed them in the right direction of where we heard some noise from.

The roof top bar was just AWESOME the view of downtown at night just made the atmosphere, total QUALITY - i loved it.

It would be nice to have a party night up there, where you can stay beyond 0130, but i understand there a license issues.

You have to come here with the mind set that there will be parties it is a party hotel up to a degree, but i love it!

One complaint the shower head needed descalling, honestly its the basic of housekeeping things.......

all in all, i would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank ukv

Thanks for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed a change of pace at The Standard, Downtown LA. I do apologize for the showerhead. I have shared your review with our Housekeeping team to be more vigilant.

Reviewed 5 August 2010

The hotel is stylish and the rooms are quite good. It is nice to have a rooftop bar but in the weekend, you will see a lot of crazy people there and you do not really want to know what is going on in the rooms on the top floor.... Praticularly in the weekend, it is very noisy, so if you wnat to dance in your room all night long, you should stay here.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank traveler069187337

Thank you, I think! Our Summer Pool Parties do add a great amount of spirit to the Hotel and the Weekend Nights are filled with guests and visitors looking for a fun night out. I trust you found opportunity to Dance at least some of the night away with us! I really is a good time.