The Standard Downtown
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
The NoMad Hotel Los Angeles(Los Angeles)
  • Breakfast included
O Hotel(Los Angeles)
  • Restaurant
Freehand Los Angeles(Los Angeles)
  • Breakfast included
1,313 results
All reviewsrooftop barping pongtable tennisglass showerfun hotelpool partyfunky hotelvalet parkingwest hollywoodstaples centerbiergartenwaterbedskyscrapersretrodtlanightlife
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I was greeted by the familiar smell of cleaning sollution when walking into the room. Couple that with a freezing cold room & you have the recipe for missing home.....

The staff was beyond friendly. The common areas were...a little tired & dated. The room was probably pretty hip & cool about 10 years ago. No art, very minimal, but in a dorm-room kinda way.

Got room service 2 nights - food was fine, service was quick - was expensive. Parking was fine - valet - they were quick enough.

Location was perfect for me - Starbucks & 24 hour fitness across the street.

Overall, I would stay somewhere else next time. The room was harsh & cold & felt like I was in my dorm room all over again.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Travel222Much
Reviewed 18 September 2010

the staff was very rude. Took almost 2 hrs. to check in. No free parking, each time you
left the parking lot it cost $15.00 to park again. I was told by the staff i could park on
the street, but i would probably get a ticket. The staff needed a credit card to hold,
just in case i stoled pillows or brought a chainsaw to my room? Lobby music was so
loud you hear and feel the vibrations in my room on the third floor. The staff made my
visit horrible because they were so snooty and rude.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2010

I apologize for any rude behavior you experienced from our staff! Check in is usually not a problem for arrivals after 3pm, sometimes there are delays for early arrivals on the weekends - I am not certain why your check in was delayed, but again apologize for the inconvenience. Overnight parking for our guests is $30 with in and out privileges - our one time visitor parking fee is $15. Many hotels do require a credit card guarantee for incidental charges such as in-room movies, minibar, room service and general charging throughout the Hotel.

We do create a party atmosphere with the use of live DJ's in our Lobby and on The Rooftop, especially on the Weekends. Regardless of the details of our general operating rules, snooty and rude have no place at our Hotel! Again, I am sorry for the disconnect with our staff.

Reviewed 17 September 2010

I stayed in a room facing the front entrance, ok the music is LOUD from 9 to about 2 in the morning, even if you close the window. Every time you turn the hot water on, it immediately smells like SEWAGE! gross! Plus at 2 in the morning the toilet started bubbling over and there was foam about a foot high above the toilet seat and it spilled onto the floor. I stayed with my dog, but the guest next door complained about the barking and we were asked to leave immediately. Good thing there was a female manager who handled the situation appropriately because the woman at the front desk who called me initially lacked total customer service. Nicole, who checked me in, was a sweetheart, however the male manager who worked the shift with her was a total douche. He could not be bothered at all to look in your direction or say anything to you. The rooms are clean overall, the sheets were really comfortable. I would not recommend the room service, it was pretty gross and overpriced! The location is great, valet is $33 a night, if I weren't stressed out I would've found another place to park, there are lots of locations nearby. The free wifi was a perk I appreciated, it worked pretty quickly.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2010

So sorry about the bumpy stay! We are indeed pet friendly, but don't encourage leaving dogs unattended in the guest rooms. They can get restless and disrupt other guest visits. I can not explain what may have happened with the toilet or the smell you experienced but both would be hard to find tolerable. Staff like Nicole embody all that is terrific in Hospitality! We usually leave a much better impression on our guests - please accept our apologies for the poor performance.

Reviewed 9 September 2010

We read many bad reviews before we stayed at The Standard Downtown in August, and were worried about what we'd find (we made the mistake of reading reviews AFTER we'd booked!). Neither of us are party animals, so the reports of loud noise and rowdy teenagers did make us a bit concerned. By the photos we saw, I was also concerned that the decor may be way too pretentious for our liking - I like cool and chic places, but nothing too 'out there'.

It turns out we had nothing to fear at all. The place is fantastic! Location wise its perfect, with lots of bus stops close by, and two Metro stations within easy walking distance (One is Pershing Square, I forget the other one. We did find the Metro network as a whole to be a bit poor though). There are lots of tramps at night in downtown, but stick to the main streets and you'll be fine.

The rooms were pretentious, but not enough to annoy us. Nice and spacious, with a big screen TV and comfy bed. Yes - the reports about bathrooms with clears glass through to the room are true, but are great fun for couples ;) I also read reviews about rooms not been clean/smelling of dampness, but didn't see any of this in ours (we were on the 4th floor).

In terms of noise at night, we heard none at all and got a great night's sleep for all four nights we stayed, and that included a Friday. Yes, the rooftop bar does get busy, mainily with non-residents, but its hard for non-staying guests to access the hotel part, so therefore their isn't much noise. Perhaps the floors higher up experience noise, but the 4th floor was certainly quiet. As for the bar itself, its amazing! Pool, cool seating areas and a breathtaking 360 degree view of the skyscrapers. As I say, we are not partying types and only stayed for one drink when we went in the evening, but felt very welcome and comfortable. I was expecting the bar to be full of people who look like rejects from The Hills, but everyone seemed chilled and down to earth.

We also found the staff to be efficient and friendly, and the 24-hour restaurant is perfect for breakfast. Try the omlette with home fries!

Hopefully this will help change some people's minds about the place. We would 100% definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LondonBenP
Reviewed 7 September 2010

This hotel is was the best Ive ever stayed at! The location is in the financial district. Bus stop to Santa Monica is opposite taking around 30 mins and the metro train is under a 2min walk taking under 20 mins max to Hollywood.
The lobby - Chic with a DJ playing great music welcoming guests on a night.
The restaurant - Value for money and great food, the breakfast is delicious, open early til 2pm.
The reception - The staff are very friendly with lots of information. There is also a hair salon and shop.
The rooms - Very spacious, comfortable and clean. Towels and bedding changed everyday.
The best thing about this hotel is the ROOF TOP BAR and POOL. Very fun, trendy hot spot for professional people having after work drinks during the week and weekends great pool parties and great atmosphere on a night. The people who visit are very friendly of all ages, single and couples. I met some great people here.
I would definitely stay here again, infact I would not stay anywhere else!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends