The Standard Downtown
US$335
  • Pool
Travelodge Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
US$245
US$239
The Ambrose(Santa Monica)
US$347
US$330
  • Breakfast included
Ocean View Hotel(Santa Monica)
US$297
US$427
US$337
US$309
  • Pool
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
US$398
US$275
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Shore Hotel(Santa Monica)
US$449
US$388
  • Beachfront
Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel(Santa Monica)
US$518
US$405
1,322 results
All reviewsrooftop barping pongtable tennisglass showerfun hotelpool partyfunky hotelvalet parkingwest hollywoodstaples centerbiergartenwaterbedskyscrapersretrodtlanightlife
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My boyfriend and I (25 year olds) went to the Standard Hotel for my birthday last year. The room size is quite standard, but the features (ie open shower) was unique. It was an affordable place to stay in downtown LA, but we did not love the location as it's far from the Hollywood scene. The only reason why we stayed was the lounge/bar on rooftop, where my friends joined us at night. Now THAT was pretty amazing.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The check in was friendly & professional enough but not entirely accurate. I asked that the mini-bar be taken out because I did not want to have to worry about my 13 year old munching on stuff. The clerk told me to not worry as he would simply just not give me the key. However, when I arrived in the room, the fridge was locked but there was still a big box of snacks and such. I was running so late for my engagement that I did not want to bother calling down to desk to request that it be removed.
The room was very bare-bones. There was a king bed on a platform on the floor (we wanted two beds but they were sold out), a wall-length table/desk that was attached to the wall under the wall sized window, ONE chair and a tv. There were also two phones; one by the bed and one on the desk, which was nice. I can't recall much more in the room. It was a very large room, or maybe it just seemed that way because of the lack of furniture. There was no dresser with drawers however the closet has some shelves in it that one could put clothes on. However, one side of shelves was taken up by the snack box, a big pile of magazines, and iron, extra pillow/blanket and so on.
The A/C did not work well at all so the room was rather warm. Again, we were running late for our engagement and did not even realize it was not working until we got back late and went to bed. Not the time to call maintenance.
The thing I hated the most was that anyone using the shower had NO PRIVACY. Right next to the bed was a huge, glass wall that was also the wall for the shower. There was a shower curtain on the other side so if someone was brushing their teeth at the sink or something then they would not see the person showering. However, if another person was anywhere in the room, they totally see the person showering. Luckily I had some packaging tape so we taped up some newspaper on the glass wall to give us some privacy. Otherwise it would have been very awkward for both me and my 13 year old son to be in the room while the other showered. Even if I was on a romantic getaway I would still want a privacy curtain or something for when I showered. At least there was a door to where the toilet was!
Another thing was that I was with a convention group and the hotel was booked solid, but not just by our group. Apparently we were supposed to have two entire floors. I was on the floor where we had rented out the "Blonde Room" for a party type of gathering. We partied until 5am. However, the hotel booked 2 rooms on the floor to people who were not with our group so they did not like the noise and kept complaining about us. I can understand that but it was the hotels fault for booking anyone else on that floor when we were promised to have the floor to ourselves. So we had to keep it down and keep the doors closed to the room. Again, the AC did not work in there either so it was very hot. We were there during the record-breaking heat wave at the end of September, 2010 so the lack of good A/C in the hotel was a drawback.
Now I will have to say that the room was clean but it hardly made up for the bad A/C and lack of privacy in the shower in the room. The Standard is an OK hotel and I hear they have a good nightclub and nice roof-top pool but we did not go to either so I can't say for sure. So, if you are traveling solo or with someone you have an open relationship with, they I'd recommend it. I personally will not stay there again if I can help it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2010

What this hotel lacks in location in more than makes up for in style and service. Very good value for money, great roof top bar/pool. Food in the hotel was above average. Room (as is Hotel) was urban/industrial retro chic so did lack a little in comfort however was large with decent TV/Mini Bar. Great front desk and valet service. Small gripes, we were located on 11th Floor so if you want to sleep its tough before 2am+ as the roof top bar/club is in full swing. Plumbing was a bit poor with blocked loo (quickly resolved by staff). Cocktails very dubious. We experienced some poor service outside in the terrace restaurant front of hotel but received profuse apologies and a drink on the house. Would stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Awesome place, and especially the staff - very helpful and attentive. A bit crowed but nice ambience at night. Love it and will be back!! Cool like any other Hotel, hip and slick.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2010

stayed last year and loved the standard. This year the room was dirty we had to ask to have the curtains changed and still the blind was dirty. Chipped tiles in the bathroom. The staff are lovely but the party theme of the hotel is causing a lot of wear and tear. The beds are big and very comfy though and the bath was humongous.
Really think it is time to refurbish this hotel . Probably won't stay again though the position is fantastic middle of downtown.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2010

I'm sorry to hear the room was not maintained properly during your recent stay! It is inconsistent with the normal presentation throughout the Hotel. Some wear and tear is normal in a Hotel, but feeling like the room is not clean or poorly maintained is not alright! I wish that we could have moved you to another room during your visit. I think you would have found a change of room reminded you of past visits to the Hotel. I do hope we will have the opportunity to change your mind on future visits to Los Angeles! The location is terrific after all!