“trendy...maybe too much!”

The Standard Downtown
Ranked #98 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 3 November 2010

Standard is a design hotel, very cool but people working there is not very nice. They feel like they are very cool and they make you a pleasure to stay there! Anyway the place is very nice

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank federsigno
There are newer reviews for The Standard Downtown

Reviewed 20 October 2010

I recently stayed here for business and was very disappointed. This hotel has an old musty smell throughout all hallways and rooms. Generally just found this hotel is not worth the rates charged. I understand minimal design with modern/retro feel is the look however was done poorly was below standard for us. Front desk employees do not know much about anything. Most questions we had were answered with a simple "I dont know"...." i really dont know" or "couldnt help you" there was no attempt to even try to get us an answer. I just found the general attitude of employees to be very bad and not helpful. As a business owner myself I know how crucial good customer service is and how a bad experience can travel fast. Hopefully this comment will be helpful in the overall improvment of this hotel. Also the managers repsonses to many of the comments are so general and meaningless/ insincere. You need to take these comments and use them to improve your hotel, not to defend your hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2010

Thanks for sharing the experience of your recent stay. Your critical feedback is indeed taken to the team and used to improve services throughout the Hotel. They are welcome and appreciated. It is disappointing to think that any response we might offer would seem insincere. We do sincerely wish to provide a better experience than the one described. We do believe the quality of the property is significant and that it is well executed - but as I have noted, it is not for every traveller! Finally, customer service should never be indifferent and every request should be met with an effort to fulfill or provide help. Please accept our apologies for your negative experience.

Reviewed 19 October 2010

I was away in LA for a Rocky Horror Convention and was slightly concerned when I saw some negative reviews on here for this hotel, but I found the hotel to be great for us, with a few minor issues that were easily fixed promptly.
When we arrived, we found the ADA accessible room to have a bed up a step and bed a bit low, but the staff where on hand right away and got a spare mattress so i could manage and anything else we needed was dealt with in a prompt and very helpful manner.

The restaurant here is fantastic, my hat goes off to the staff in there as they couldn't have been more friendly to us and where giving us advice and help from day 1.

It is a wee bit pricey, but rightly so as it a gorgeous hotel with a rooftop pool and bar that is so comfy, especially with the water beds :D

Will most definitely stay here again regardless of slight access issues as the staff's view, was everything is fixable.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My boyfriend and I (25 year olds) went to the Standard Hotel for my birthday last year. The room size is quite standard, but the features (ie open shower) was unique. It was an affordable place to stay in downtown LA, but we did not love the location as it's far from the Hollywood scene. The only reason why we stayed was the lounge/bar on rooftop, where my friends joined us at night. Now THAT was pretty amazing.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The check in was friendly & professional enough but not entirely accurate. I asked that the mini-bar be taken out because I did not want to have to worry about my 13 year old munching on stuff. The clerk told me to not worry as he would simply just not give me the key. However, when I arrived in the room, the fridge was locked but there was still a big box of snacks and such. I was running so late for my engagement that I did not want to bother calling down to desk to request that it be removed.
The room was very bare-bones. There was a king bed on a platform on the floor (we wanted two beds but they were sold out), a wall-length table/desk that was attached to the wall under the wall sized window, ONE chair and a tv. There were also two phones; one by the bed and one on the desk, which was nice. I can't recall much more in the room. It was a very large room, or maybe it just seemed that way because of the lack of furniture. There was no dresser with drawers however the closet has some shelves in it that one could put clothes on. However, one side of shelves was taken up by the snack box, a big pile of magazines, and iron, extra pillow/blanket and so on.
The A/C did not work well at all so the room was rather warm. Again, we were running late for our engagement and did not even realize it was not working until we got back late and went to bed. Not the time to call maintenance.
The thing I hated the most was that anyone using the shower had NO PRIVACY. Right next to the bed was a huge, glass wall that was also the wall for the shower. There was a shower curtain on the other side so if someone was brushing their teeth at the sink or something then they would not see the person showering. However, if another person was anywhere in the room, they totally see the person showering. Luckily I had some packaging tape so we taped up some newspaper on the glass wall to give us some privacy. Otherwise it would have been very awkward for both me and my 13 year old son to be in the room while the other showered. Even if I was on a romantic getaway I would still want a privacy curtain or something for when I showered. At least there was a door to where the toilet was!
Another thing was that I was with a convention group and the hotel was booked solid, but not just by our group. Apparently we were supposed to have two entire floors. I was on the floor where we had rented out the "Blonde Room" for a party type of gathering. We partied until 5am. However, the hotel booked 2 rooms on the floor to people who were not with our group so they did not like the noise and kept complaining about us. I can understand that but it was the hotels fault for booking anyone else on that floor when we were promised to have the floor to ourselves. So we had to keep it down and keep the doors closed to the room. Again, the AC did not work in there either so it was very hot. We were there during the record-breaking heat wave at the end of September, 2010 so the lack of good A/C in the hotel was a drawback.
Now I will have to say that the room was clean but it hardly made up for the bad A/C and lack of privacy in the shower in the room. The Standard is an OK hotel and I hear they have a good nightclub and nice roof-top pool but we did not go to either so I can't say for sure. So, if you are traveling solo or with someone you have an open relationship with, they I'd recommend it. I personally will not stay there again if I can help it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2010

What this hotel lacks in location in more than makes up for in style and service. Very good value for money, great roof top bar/pool. Food in the hotel was above average. Room (as is Hotel) was urban/industrial retro chic so did lack a little in comfort however was large with decent TV/Mini Bar. Great front desk and valet service. Small gripes, we were located on 11th Floor so if you want to sleep its tough before 2am+ as the roof top bar/club is in full swing. Plumbing was a bit poor with blocked loo (quickly resolved by staff). Cocktails very dubious. We experienced some poor service outside in the terrace restaurant front of hotel but received profuse apologies and a drink on the house. Would stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Awesome place, and especially the staff - very helpful and attentive. A bit crowed but nice ambience at night. Love it and will be back!! Cool like any other Hotel, hip and slick.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family