“Deals Beware” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #105 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Las Vegas
“Deals Beware”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Bookings.com had a great deal so I bought it, 2 nites lodging at The Hip Palihotel for $369.00 My room details confirmation said a view of Hollywood Hills or Melrose Ave. We arrive and the front desk guy is awesome- we get to our room and it is so hot and a view of the alley, I go ask to be moved they accomodate me- we then are given a room on the 2nd floor now a view of the room across the little patio area- looking into another room. I show front desk clerk my reservation- I cannot cancel now I am locked in I call Bookings .com and waste over 2 hours moving rooms and on the phone- they move me to another room where I have a slight view of the top of a palm tree- and out the bathroom window if you stand in the tub and stick your head out the window I see a mountain..I cannot be in confined spaces the windows are glazed out on the bottom and only top row is clear, there is no controlled thermostat in your room you have to call the front desk- on your cell no phones in room- or go down and ask them to adjust temperature.So what if you like it cold and other guests on your floor dont??
Finally Bookings.com called hotel and I was again shown a room on the first floor that faces Melrose after all this time- I saw the room and now realize why they have earplugs in all the rooms- you are literally 4 feet from Melrose- very noisy. I said I was staying in the room that looked at the tree, it was quieter and I was tired of dragging my kid around.The walls are paper thin take advantage of the earplugs, the hotel is great decore and the staff is super helpfull. Beds are comfy and the shower heads are powerful. Just beware of the no Thermostat , no phones in room and you will hear many conversations- not by choice.Parking is $20.00 nite if you dont nab a street spot- location is fantastic as is the Staff. Next visit to L.A. will be elsewhere.

Room Tip: Really know what your room faces--ear plugs or not.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank chrissygLasVegas
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear Ms.Gronau,

Thank you for your posting. We are thrilled to hear our staff is fantastic. We think so too, but it means the most to us coming directly from guests. We will make sure to pass on the good cheer to our team.

We are also pleased to hear our location is well received. As you know, Palihotel is the first boutique hotel on Los Angeles' famed Melrose Avenue. It is close to the entertainment studios, businesses, shopping, and all the fun of the city's major attractions. We are happy to hear you enjoyed it.

We're glad to see you were privy to the excellent discount we recently offered. Please note we take pride in how we describe our property, and it's features – regardless of rate. We are sorry you did not receive the view you anticipated, and we've contacted the third party website you used in order to ensure their copy is accurate.

We would love another chance to have you back so we may exceed your expectations. For the best rates, we encourage you to book directly through our website or by calling reservations directly at 323 272 4588. This will also avoid any misconceptions about who we are or what our product offers.

Palihotel is a unique boutique property for those who thrive on fun, comfortable and unique neighborhood experiences. Our accommodationsoffer everything you need and nothing you don't!

We pride ourselves on our incredibly comfortable custom-beds, luxury linens, awesome HD TV's, moody rooms - where you can sleep all day, delicious Dean and Deluca stocked mini-bars, on-site Thai-massage, Vanity blow-dry bar, as well as our friendly, accommodating staff.

We wish you all the best in your travels. Please call or email us anytime.

Warm regards,

Palihotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

I got a Groupon to stay here for our anniversary (with our 7 year old in tow). It was still more than I would normally spend on a hotel but we wanted to do the Hollywood thing and the Groupon was perfect. Our room was ground-level Melrose with a window view of Agent Provocateur, Johnny Cupcakes, Tarina Tarantino :). Surprisingly, it was extremely quiet at night and the room has this AWESOME blackout blind like I've never seen! The room is simple and painted a fun dark teal with an accenting cork-covered wall. Best of all, there is absolutely NO scent of cigarettes or virtually anything! Pristinely clean! There is no phone, no clock, and my only actual "complaint" is that there is no place to set anything in the bathroom, so the back of the toilet is about all you've got for setting your "stuff" when you want to shower and dress. There is a very hip couch in the room that miraculously turns into a bed where our son slept. The AC was on pretty much all night so it was even a little bit chilly on this HOT summer day. Sean at the front desk was perfectly helpful in all ways. There is a FABULOUS little Italian place next door...food is served "bar style" but is presented very elegantly...I had the Tuna Tartar. YUM. So, would I come back to the Palihotel? I probably won't have the need again anytime soon. Would I recommend it? Absolutely. I think it would be perfect for a young couple wanting to get away from it all. Maybe they could take a walk across the street and get something fun! ;)

Room Tip: I didn't get a chance to see the upstairs rooms with the little balcony, but the ground-floor ro...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Dear ClawMarks,

Thank you for your 4-star review! We are thrilled you enjoyed the room and your anniversary at Palihotel. We are looking into your request for an extra shelf in the bathroom – there is a cupboard under the sink where you can place items but we do think this is a great addition.

We also wanted to let you know that we are announcing the opening of our new restaurant at Palihotel, which will be called The Hart and the Hunter. The Hart and the Hunter will be full-service breakfast, lunch and dinner and be open end of September.

ClawMarks - we really do hope you find the need to come back and stay with us again soon!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Palihotel, and really enjoyed it. The hotel itself is a small, stylish place off Melrose. It is located in a great location; next to plenty of shops and boutiques. Upon arrival, my boyfriend noticed that the rooms have no phones. Which at first I found odd, but then realized I liked that aspect. It made our stay seem more private. Great
The staff was VERY friendly and helpful. Although my room had a balcony with a great view of an apartment complex...I still really enjoyed my stay. Looking forward to staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear K s,

Thanks for your 5-star review - we are thrilled you and your boyfriend enjoyed your experience and we hope to have you stay with us again in the future. Rooms 209, 210 and 219 all have terraces as well and great 'neighborhood' views....keep that in mind for your next trip and we will do our best to accommodate a better view for you.

Additionally, we don't have phones in the rooms as most travelers these days have their own devices to text, call or email front desk (or to make outside calls), but we do have loaner phones for our guests should they need one for their stay.

Hope to see you again soon!

Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

This hotel reminds me of the Ace Hotel chain, which have have hip decor, gourmet items in the mini-bar, friendly staff, and just make you feel "cool!"

The hotel has a super comfy bed, and is located in a convenient location on Melrose, close to bars,restaurants, etc.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Roselyn D,

Thanks for your great 5-star review! We are glad we made you feel "cool". We are pretty sure you are cool anyway...:-).

We agree the beds are so comfy and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

Hope to have you back again sometime soon!

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Checked in last night, after finding the hotel through the iPhone app: Hotel Tonight. What a pleasant surprise! When I arrived, the only room they had available was a room one with 2 twin beds. However, today they moved me to a room with a queen-size bed and a terrace. The folks at the front desk couldn't be any nicer, and the rooms are immaculate. The location is perfect on Meleoae and Fairfax in Hollywood.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear worldtraveler11111,

Thanks for your 4-star review of Palihotel! We are thrilled you found us on Hotel Tonight and hope to have you come and stay with us again sometime soon!

Stockport / Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We booked the Palihotel prior it opening it's superior doors, the site only offered room plans due to the hotel still being renovated. We also asked "if possible" for a room with a view due to it being our anniversary coupled with the fact that we generally get a wall view.

Upon arrival the check in staff were extremely friendly and welcoming, they offered us tips on places to eat/drink/shop, we could ask for more. We were almost offered another room but then one of the check in staff heard our name and said we had been given a balcony room.

We entered our room and instantly loved it, there was no wardrobe but we knew this, instead there is a ladder and rail but it fits perfectly with the theme. We had been given a bag of chocolate treat saying "congratulations" The colours of the rooms are mainly dark blues/greens which give the room a cosy feel. This is a very boutique hotel, the details of the heavy green curtains which cover the communal halls, the breakout areas are detailed and comfortable, every piece of furniture or fitting has a dark yet desirable feel to it. We wanted to scoop the chairs and light fittings up.

We had a queen room with a large comfortable bed, large balcony with a street view (the best view available and great) large sofa, there is a TV & Fridge, there isn't tea/coffee making facilities as there is a coffee shop located in the hotel which is very stylish and open until 6pm. The bathroom is lit by skylight and is off a good size, it is full of character with the black floors and monochrome shower curtain. We absolutely loved our stay in the Palihotel and missed it instantly as we hit the road to continue our drive down the Pacific Coast. We also missed the friendly service and the feel you get from staying in a smaller hotel.

Our only issue(s) were the glass bathroom door and the fact that our clothes had been moved, hung the wrong way around and partly packed on one of the days, we didn't question it as we couldn't understand why this would have been done. It wasn't until we got home and found 3 voice messages from the hotel, one saying "we were due to check out but our belongings were still in the room" another apologising for the "earlier mix up" this clearly explained the clothing situation, were our belongings packed up and then packed out again? This was the hotels biggest let down which is a real shame.

All this said we would stay at the Palihotel again in an instant.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 215, this room seems larger then the one used on the net. It was a queen room and...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank billyboy302
PalihouseManagement, Owner at Palihotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear Billyboy302,

Thanks for your 5-star review!

Firstly, we would like to sincerely apologize for the mix-up with the check-out and thank you for your understanding.

We are sincerely thrilled that you enjoyed your experience at Palihotel and look forward to having you stay with us again!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

I stayed there over the July 4th weekend and had a really comfortable and pleasant experience at Palihotel. The staff made this first visit of mine to LA memorable. The service was personal, staff were knowledgeable and helpful, and the location was close enough to the main tourist strips. The rooms - what can I say? There is nothing to complain about! The beds were "OH SO COMFORTABLE!" and the rain shower and water pressure was simply AWESOME! Free wifi as well as the many real books provided in the room were a plus. And being able to visit the sister establishment Palihouse down the road for drinks on the weekend was also a plus.

It didn't bother us at all that there was no phone in the room. We didn't need it! Or, that the air-conditioning, central to all rooms, meant that our air-conditioning turned off and on every night once it hit the set temperature. We simply kept warm with the snug bathrobes provided! Or, that we couldn't book our airport shuttle online because the hotel was still being listed as a different establishment. Any such 'inconvenience' was easily sorted with a request to the reception. Even during our checkout in the wee hours of the morning, staff were still very friendly, attentive and helpful.

Palihotel is definitely a gem of a find and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear Wantonmuse,

Thank you so much for your terrific 5 star review of Palihotel. We are thrilled that we could be a memorable part of your first visit to LA!

We sincerely hope to have you come and stay with us again...

FInest regards,
Elan Hotel
Elan Hotel
#5 of 348 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,304 reviews

Been to Palihotel? Share your experiences!