“Not impressed!”

Ranked #106 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
London, United Kingdom
“Not impressed!”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We stayed at the Palihotel for 3 nights in April on a trip to California.  The Pali was a brand new hotel with great deals on rooms so we took a risk and went ahead and booked before the hotel opened for business.  We obviously didn't have any reviews to read and the website was not up and running, but we had been promised a trendy modern hotel in a great location so what could possibly go wrong?

EVERYTHING!  Having not been to LA before we didnt realise just how big it was, and when driving to the hotel we were not impressed by the area at all. It was on the corner of what looked like a rough residential street, we didnt feel particularly safe there, but we were newbies to L.A which might explain this.  It was a good cab ride from Beverly Hills and other local attractions so be warned, do your research before booking a hotel in LA as everything is a lot bigger and spread out than it looks on a map!

The hotel itself is obviously going for the cool, trendy, relaxed feel, but we just found it dark, dingy and lacking everything a half decent hotel should have!  The guy at the front desk was on his own when we arrived and seemed to be reception/concierge and house keeping all rolled into one, he was busy and didnt really have the time to help us with any questions as there was a queue forming behind us and a guest had come down complaining about his room temperature so we felt under pressure to hurry up.  We did ask for a map and some other information on the area but he told us to come back in a bit and he'll put something together for us.  We went back to find a hand drawn map of some nearby restaurants and a leaflet on organised day tours which we didnt want.  Thankfully we took our ipad with us as we massively relied on the internet for info and booking restaurants/things to do.  One positive was the hotels free wi-fi.

The rooms were dark and very noisy.  We stupidly agreed to the room with a 'view' of Melrose but the road noise was horrendous and there was no view.   As for the noise from the other guests, who knows what they were doing to make such a racket!  The room had nothing we needed other than a bed and TV.  There was no phone to ring reception (so no way of calling for help if we needed it), no wardrobe, no iron/ironing board (they did provide us with one but we had to ask twice before they finally brought one up).  There wasnt any info on the local area, there was no temperature control in the room so we were either boiling hot or freezing cold and the worst thing was that there was no safe in the rooms. Considering we didnt feel the hotel was particularly secure we was extremely unhappy about leaving valuables in our room all day.

The hotel didnt have a restaurant, no pool, no bar, it had a tiny outside courtyard and a cafe which we didnt use, that was it.  All in all we hated pretty much everything about it.  We'd already booked and paid for 3 nights at the discounted rate, but due to unfortunate circumstances we had to move our holiday back 3 days but the hotel were not accomodating at all, they made us pay extra for each night of our stay and once we realised how much we hated the hotel we asked to cancel our final night to move elsewhere but they refused saying that once we'd cheked in we were committed to pay the full bill.  We gave 48 hours notice and didnt feel this was fair.  Especially as we'd already paid for 3 nights at the original rate, so we felt we had already paid enough!  We just wanted to move and at least enjoy one nights stay in a nice hotel!

This hotel/motel was overpriced for what it was and really wasn't our kind of place. Admittedly we did stay back in April so maybe it has made improvements since, but personally i'd much rather have stayed in Beverly Hills, it's a much nicer area and there are hotels with swimming pools/bars/restaurants which are no different in price.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank phil_claire33
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your posting.

We are sorry to hear our property was not the right fit for you. Palihotel accommodations offer everything you need and nothing you don't - we pride ourselves on our incredibly comfortable custom-beds, luxury linens, awesome HD TV's, ‘moody’ rooms - where you can sleep all day!, delicious Dean and Deluca stocked mini-bars, on-site Thai-massage, Vanity blow-dry bar, our friendly and accommodating staff and more...

That being said, we agree with you in saying Los Angeles is a big city. We feel Los Angeles offers many assets including culture, history, and tons of fun! Our location on Melrose is actually renowed worldwide, and highly sought after by most.

Since opening we've capitalized further on our desired location. We've partnered with a local Tour Company to provide detailed maps, and personalized concierge services through our front desk to help guests plan a great vacation!

As you know, we are now well beyond our grand opening.

We have taken all guest feedback and positively offered solutions to all of your points. We always growing and evolving to best suit the needs of our guests, and exceed their expectations. We are in the business of hospitality, and are committed to a relationship of excellence with all guests.

We wish you all the best in your travels, please be well.

Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This is a cool, charming boutique inn located right on Melrose Ave. The exterior of the hotel is adorned with wooden planks and casement style windows, so it looks great. The lobby decor has a Soho house feel. They did a great job, on a budget no doubt. The rooms are small, but have everything you need. I'd say it's for the younger professional or hipster type, on a budget. The lobby & palikitchen are filled with the above mentioned crowd at lunchtime.The decor is definitely cool. It's a newly converted property, so everything has that new feel, except for the popcorn ceilings. [I believe the property was formerly a senior living place, in the 1960s.] The bathroom is clean, with shiny fixtures. The "minibar" has NO BOOZE, but typical sodas, and Dean & Deluca items. Also, the walls are quite permeable to noise, so come bedtime, it's best to have several drinks and use the earplugs which come with the room. The location is great, right in West Hollywood area, between the Beverly Center and the Grove. A fine food & wine shop (Froma on Melrose) is right next door, and it's a great place for a bite or a drink. Also, the hotel has a nice kitchen style bistro with sandwiches and drinks. There is a nice community style table to enjoy coffee and sandies. The uber trendy shop Fred Segal is a short walk away, as is the beautiful Red O Mexican restaurant (opened by Chicago's Rick Bayless). There is no shortage of amazing restaurants & retail shops in West Hollywood.

I booked this for $95, via Hotel Tonight (iPhone App). This is a nice app for same day hotel reservations. I occasionally use it for LA staycations. Swanky hotel options typically on this app in LA include: Thompson Hotel Beverly Hills (great hotel), Roosevelt Hollywood (historic property, very cool, party crowd), Redbury Hollywood (an SBE, uber cool hotel). [Use invite code: JGREWAL for $25 credit when you sign up]. You can also find beach, downtown LA and airport options.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeffrey G
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Dear Jeffrey G,

Thanks for your 4-star review! We are really glad you enjoyed your stay and our great location. We also love that you just “get it”….

We wanted to let you know that we are rolling out our “BOOZE” filled mini-bars in coming weeks. We are also announcing in coming weeks the opening of our new restaurant, which will replace ‘Palikitchen’ and will be called The Hart and the Hunter. The Hart and the Hunter will be full-service breakfast, lunch and dinner.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back soon!

Boston, MA
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The minute my beau and I pulled up to this rustic-wood paneled, vintage light bulb signed hotel, I adored it. Walked in around 10:30pm on a Saturday and was greeted with music that made me want to dance. The lobby was surprisingly quiet for a Saturday night, but I loved every detail and the vintage feel of the space. Very industrial and a great attention to detail (artwork, flowers, old book piles). Unfortunately, I'm someone that "stays" with my eyes first.

The room was styled just the same - minimalist, industrial vintage. My boyfriend and I kept commenting that we felt like we were in an episode of Boardwalk Empire. Then we slept... and that sentiment became too real. We woke up sweating in the middle of the night - it was SO HOT. And much to our dismay, there was no AC or thermostat. We had to get the front desk to turn the air on in our room and even then, it was no help. It turned into a pretty sleepless night. There was also no iron/ironing board in the room (again, the front desk had to send one up). The shower was also very oddly positioned and you had to crouch to one side of the tub to get under it.

Palihotel get's a great rating for decor, but comfortablility was compromised due to limited amenities. If they could step these up, I'd move it up to 4 stars for sure.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and have a nice balcony, but make sure you ask the front desk to turn the air...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear EastCoastQueen,

Thanks for your review of Palihotel! We are happy to hear you loved the ‘detail’ and vintage feel of the space.

We are however sorry to hear that the temperature in the room gave you a sleepless night! For future reference we do offer portable fans / heaters for guests that are not comfortable with the set AC temperature. I’m also sorry to hear about the shower – this is the first we have heard about this issue so will certainly be checking all of the showers and making sure the shower faucet hasn’t been bumped-off center!

Palihotel was created to have a 'European Inn' sensibility offering everything you need and nothing you don’t. All basic amenities (and more!) are available by contacting the front desk.

We do sincerely hope to welcome you back sometime soon!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 August 2012

The Palihotel style is a combination of vintage and boutique. I loved the style of this hotel. The size was great; the atmosphere calming. Returning to a great bed and a darken room at night was relaxing.It will get even better when they add a cafe to the property. The location is great for both West Hollywood and Hollywood areas. I booked through bookings.com. The front desk gave excellent service; never rushed. We had a complication with returning our rental car and they were very accommodating. The rates were a higher than I normally could afford but I hope to return there on my next trip to LA.

Room Tip: My room was on the first floor in the back. This was good as Melrose Ave. traffic can be loud. Plus...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Hi kmhumphries

Thanks for your 4-star review! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay at Palihotel and loved the style!

We also wanted to let you know we are announcing the opening of our new restaurant, which will replace ‘palikitchen’ and will be called The Hart and the Hunter. The Hart and the Hunter will be full-service breakfast, lunch and dinner and be open end of September…

We sincerely hope to welcome you back soon!

San Carlos, CA
Reviewed 26 August 2012

My best friend and I checked into a two twin room here a couple weekends ago and everything about this hotel was perfect for us. The guy at the front desk was super courteous and made check-in a breeze. Parking in the garage underneath was included in our room rate and we took advantage of it that afternoon but by the time we came back from our night out, by around 1am, the garage was full. We had to park a long block away and dragging our bags that far the next morning wasn't too fun.

Our room was on the second floor with windows facing another room. I didn't find this particularly important since we weren't spending much time in the room and the windows still let in plenty of natural light. I loved the vibe of the rooms with their modern yet plush decor. It's sort of modern rustic if that exists.

Also, I have to mention that the beds and pillows were sublime and the room was super quiet! I had the best night of sleep of my life that night!

Overall it was a great deal in a perfect location. We visited Venice beach, Santa Monica and the Grove and this hotel made those perfectly convenient.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Photoguide,

Thanks for your lovely 4-star review of Palihotel! We are really glad you enjoyed your stay and your girls weekend in LA and hope to have you stay with us sometime again soon!

Las Vegas
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Bookings.com had a great deal so I bought it, 2 nites lodging at The Hip Palihotel for $369.00 My room details confirmation said a view of Hollywood Hills or Melrose Ave. We arrive and the front desk guy is awesome- we get to our room and it is so hot and a view of the alley, I go ask to be moved they accomodate me- we then are given a room on the 2nd floor now a view of the room across the little patio area- looking into another room. I show front desk clerk my reservation- I cannot cancel now I am locked in I call Bookings .com and waste over 2 hours moving rooms and on the phone- they move me to another room where I have a slight view of the top of a palm tree- and out the bathroom window if you stand in the tub and stick your head out the window I see a mountain..I cannot be in confined spaces the windows are glazed out on the bottom and only top row is clear, there is no controlled thermostat in your room you have to call the front desk- on your cell no phones in room- or go down and ask them to adjust temperature.So what if you like it cold and other guests on your floor dont??
Finally Bookings.com called hotel and I was again shown a room on the first floor that faces Melrose after all this time- I saw the room and now realize why they have earplugs in all the rooms- you are literally 4 feet from Melrose- very noisy. I said I was staying in the room that looked at the tree, it was quieter and I was tired of dragging my kid around.The walls are paper thin take advantage of the earplugs, the hotel is great decore and the staff is super helpfull. Beds are comfy and the shower heads are powerful. Just beware of the no Thermostat , no phones in room and you will hear many conversations- not by choice.Parking is $20.00 nite if you dont nab a street spot- location is fantastic as is the Staff. Next visit to L.A. will be elsewhere.

Room Tip: Really know what your room faces--ear plugs or not.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank chrissygLasVegas
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear Ms.Gronau,

Thank you for your posting. We are thrilled to hear our staff is fantastic. We think so too, but it means the most to us coming directly from guests. We will make sure to pass on the good cheer to our team.

We are also pleased to hear our location is well received. As you know, Palihotel is the first boutique hotel on Los Angeles' famed Melrose Avenue. It is close to the entertainment studios, businesses, shopping, and all the fun of the city's major attractions. We are happy to hear you enjoyed it.

We're glad to see you were privy to the excellent discount we recently offered. Please note we take pride in how we describe our property, and it's features – regardless of rate. We are sorry you did not receive the view you anticipated, and we've contacted the third party website you used in order to ensure their copy is accurate.

We would love another chance to have you back so we may exceed your expectations. For the best rates, we encourage you to book directly through our website or by calling reservations directly at 323 272 4588. This will also avoid any misconceptions about who we are or what our product offers.

Palihotel is a unique boutique property for those who thrive on fun, comfortable and unique neighborhood experiences. Our accommodationsoffer everything you need and nothing you don't!

We pride ourselves on our incredibly comfortable custom-beds, luxury linens, awesome HD TV's, moody rooms - where you can sleep all day, delicious Dean and Deluca stocked mini-bars, on-site Thai-massage, Vanity blow-dry bar, as well as our friendly, accommodating staff.

We wish you all the best in your travels. Please call or email us anytime.

Warm regards,

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I got a Groupon to stay here for our anniversary (with our 7 year old in tow). It was still more than I would normally spend on a hotel but we wanted to do the Hollywood thing and the Groupon was perfect. Our room was ground-level Melrose with a window view of Agent Provocateur, Johnny Cupcakes, Tarina Tarantino :). Surprisingly, it was extremely quiet at night and the room has this AWESOME blackout blind like I've never seen! The room is simple and painted a fun dark teal with an accenting cork-covered wall. Best of all, there is absolutely NO scent of cigarettes or virtually anything! Pristinely clean! There is no phone, no clock, and my only actual "complaint" is that there is no place to set anything in the bathroom, so the back of the toilet is about all you've got for setting your "stuff" when you want to shower and dress. There is a very hip couch in the room that miraculously turns into a bed where our son slept. The AC was on pretty much all night so it was even a little bit chilly on this HOT summer day. Sean at the front desk was perfectly helpful in all ways. There is a FABULOUS little Italian place next door...food is served "bar style" but is presented very elegantly...I had the Tuna Tartar. YUM. So, would I come back to the Palihotel? I probably won't have the need again anytime soon. Would I recommend it? Absolutely. I think it would be perfect for a young couple wanting to get away from it all. Maybe they could take a walk across the street and get something fun! ;)

Room Tip: I didn't get a chance to see the upstairs rooms with the little balcony, but the ground-floor ro...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear ClawMarks,

Thank you for your 4-star review! We are thrilled you enjoyed the room and your anniversary at Palihotel. We are looking into your request for an extra shelf in the bathroom – there is a cupboard under the sink where you can place items but we do think this is a great addition.

We also wanted to let you know that we are announcing the opening of our new restaurant at Palihotel, which will be called The Hart and the Hunter. The Hart and the Hunter will be full-service breakfast, lunch and dinner and be open end of September.

ClawMarks - we really do hope you find the need to come back and stay with us again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Hollywood
Mama Shelter Los Angeles
Mama Shelter Los Angeles
#27 of 350 in Los Angeles

Been to Palihotel? Share your experiences!