“All I want in a hotel..”
Review of Palihotel

Ranked #122 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Arriving late (1.00am), all you really want is a comfortable room, easy check in and no problems. I emailed the hotel a few days before about the late check in ,it was a huge travel day of 18hours and I really wanted no hassles. So on arrival after taking the CC imprint I was informed the hotel had been over booked and that I could only have a single bed room on the ground level. With no opportunity to change hotels at this time of the night I went to bed. I was angry at the hotels approach giving me no option to change, a heads up by email, text etc. So 2am I hit the bed to be woken by the house staff talking and getting busy for the day at 6 am, the room was in a major staff area.
Working in Hospitality I understand sometimes things just go wrong, but looking at the approach I would say the management is working with the hospitality focussed on the hotel not on the Client.
I couldn't work out whether the cafe was open today or not, I was told to go next door for breakfast, that was at 9.00am. I travel through LA very regularly and wouldn't recommend this hotel based on their overbooking or approach.

Room Tip: Ask them to alert you to their overbooking policy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank triclops
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear triclops,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. Firstly, we would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced on your late night check in. This was a rare incident in regards to the room type being overbooked and we would love an opportunity to welcome you back again, and show you our commitment to service excellence. We also have addressed your various concerns with our team. Please feel free to contact our Vice President of Hotel Operations, and she will personally make sure your next stay makes up for your last experience and that you will feel comfortable recommending us. She can be reached by calling the hotel directly, or via email at cara@pali-group.com. Thank you once again for sharing this information with us, so we can better perform every day.

Finest regards,

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We arrived by car and the reception guys didn't know where we could street park nearby. there is ample free street parking I asked a local person in the streets behind the hotel. atmosphere great loved the decor and our room was comfortable and very clean. staff are very professional and accommodating and the attached restaurant is very nice and they do great coffee in the morning but don't expect a huge american breakfast! no real issues with noise. our room was on the central square and there was a large party in this area when we went out for dinner. when we returned they had all gone at 10:00pm so no issue with being disturbed. I would recommend this hotel and the location was fabulous and quiet.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear BearsBrighton,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback with other travelers! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our location and had a restful stay. In addition to street parking we also offer self-parking in our garage for $20 per car, per night. Next time you have breakfast at The Hart & The Hunter be sure to try the Biscuits – smaller portions, but rich and super delicious! It was our pleasure having you as our guest, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I am a flight attendant from Australia and I saw Pali Hotel on trip advisor and it looked great. I have never been into West LA I am so glad I stayed at Pali this is one of the best hotels in a great safe area in LA. The scene is for the young and the décor very quirky. The best bit about our stay was the staff. They are so accommodating friendly. A special mention to the sales director Bianca. Bianca made us so welcome and is such a great asset to the Pali group. Cant wait to come back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Twibtravel,

You are so sweet! We are delighted you enjoyed Palihotel. It pleases us to hear such wonderful feedback, especially coming from a well-seasoned travel professional. We will be sure to pass a special note to Bianca, and we look forward to having you with us in the future.

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

What a nice building in the Melrose area, a surprising, warm, feel-like-home interior, outdoor terrace and friendly staff. A short walk from places to go and nice, creative shopping area. Free parking just behind the hotel. We'll be back, we're sure!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear marceldereus,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback! If you are into great finds when shopping, be sure to snag one of our custom, limited edition Paligroup + Hotel 1171 Caps on your next stay with us. They are just $40 and for sale in the guest rooms. See you soon!

- Palihotel

Reviewed 6 May 2014

As most travelers like to do first thing in the morning- is a shower and a cup of coffee. Had an appointment first thing in the morning and no running water in the shower had no time to change rooms.. No coffee at the hotel as we were told there would be, had to walk to Starbucks 1/2 mile. Was promised maintenance would be in at 11 am, when we came back at 3pm oh by the way maintenance did not show up. Had a 3 day reservation but the manager would not acknowledge any responsibility and meet us half way on the room charge. Very unorganized and full of misinformation. jt

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jerry t

Dear Jerryt,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience. As you can imagine, unforeseen circumstances may happen beyond our control. Please know we have every intention of pleasing our guests at the time of instance, and we did extend a complimentary upgrade along with immediate room move. The Hart and The Hunter onsite restaurant does serve amazing coffee from 7am Tuesday through Saturday, and Sunday from 11 am. On Monday we offer complimentary coffee service, and on early Sunday mornings we highly recommend Froma Café next door. A walk to Starbucks is certainly at the discretion of your taste. We would love another opportunity to turn this around, and have you back in the future. Pease feel free to call our VP of Hotel Operations, Cara Federici, at 323-272-4588.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Great location, cool looking spot... However there are major structural problems they need to adjust to upgrade the guest experience.
- First of all, the walls are super thin forcing you to hear every noise your neighbour or his TV makes.
- You can't control the room temperature !!! This is definitely what shocked me the most. Not being able to turn the AC off is completely disregardful of them, specially charging the amount they do. The room was too cold most of the time so I had to sleep wearing a jumper and socks.
- There's no telephone in the room. So if you need to request something you need to drag your butt down to the lobby or call them by your own (in my case international) line.
- There are plenty of hangers but the room and bathroom lack shelves. There was nowhere I could place my toiletries or folded clothes. Everything but practical.
- Isn't U$20 to park the car a bit pricey? I thought so..
- They had the AC fixed while I was there, at 6AM. They surely sent out a note excusing for the inconvenience, but still, waking up with a hammer noise in your head during holidays isn't the nicest thing.. Couldn't it be done after 9? For the sake of the guests?
- The last of my complaints is that I got people coming in the room regardless seeing the DO NOT DISTURB sign hanging outside. I believe privacy is one of the most valuable things when choosing a place to stay and clearly this isn't one of the hotel's main issues. The first time it happened they didn't even knock! A lady came right in. The second time around there was knocking before a stranger stepped inside my room. Very inconvenient and that's probably the reason why I'm not staying there again.

On the positive side the front desk staff is super nice and easy going.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank VGML33
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear VGML33,

Thank you for your review. We’re glad you love the design and location, however we are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time with us. Whilst we don’t claim to be the right hotel for everyone, let me address a few of your concerns.

In regards to noise, from time-to-time we do have ‘excitable guests’ and would encourage guests like your self to notify the front desk immediately at the time of issue. We are of course happy to offer a room move or speak to other guests if they are intrusive, so as to ensure a restful night for everyone.

In regards to the temperature – correct – there is no control in your room, but again, if front desk is notified we can easily remedy your needs. Los Angeles has moderate temperature most of the time, however, we can easily close the vent in your room or also provide heaters, extra blankets, or open the windows in the terrace rooms.

In regards to the telephones - as we tell all of our guests at time of check in, we do offer complimentary loaner cell phones at the front desk for use during your stay (great if you have an international phone) or even just for the comfort of contacting the front desk. There is also a large notice on your room message board stating these are available for your convenience.

The rooms offer lots of space to hang and fold clothes, however its ‘deconstructed closet’ so I can see that this could cause confusion for a more traditional traveller. If you ever decide to give us another try we can show you how nifty this closet really is.

Also, our parking rate is lower than most hotels nearby. In addition, there are many side streets around the property offering complimentary parking if you choose.

As with most hotels, we typically reserve all maintenance requests or needs to 11am and 3pm. However, emergencies can be unpredictable and if one arises we must be flexible and address them immediately.

Finally, we certainly apologize for disturbing you. Our staff is well trained to respect DND signs, and in fact rarely have issue. We will be sure to reiterate this with our team. We take guest privacy and safety with the highest regard.

If you are ever back in Los Angeles perhaps our more luxury and traditional property Palihouse would be more to your liking.

Safe travels!

Cheers,
Palihotel Management

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Cons:
- walls are paper thin. We could hear conversations in adjacent rooms, we could hear pots and pans banging and people walking above us and in hallways. I don't think we had one good night's sleep.
- dirty towels were supplied with random (fresh looking) stains
- no temperature control, at the mercy of central system which seemed to be on freeze mode most of the time
- dark rooms, depressing decor
- expensive hotel parking

Pros
- awesome location

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Matt L
#86 of 355 in Los Angeles
Wilshire Crest Hotel
Wilshire Crest Hotel
#129 of 355 in Los Angeles

Been to Palihotel? Share your experiences!