“Just amazing”

and up
Grand Tour of Los Angeles
Ranked #41 of 539 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the midst of downtown Los Angeles, only the second cathdral to be built in a US city in the past 50 year, the structure has been compared to Notre Dame in its magnificense.
Sydney, Australia
148 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 188 helpful votes
“Just amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

The architecture of this Cathedral is awesome. The stained glass Angels carved on the walls is very beautiful. There is no mass when we arrived, so just explored the interior and took shots to capture the moments and this beautiful building. The paintings hanging inside are all hand made.
There's a souvenir shop opened,, and I bought a lot, really good stuffs . Its a beautiful experience that I will always remember.

Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Breathtaking-I visited twice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

I visited because it was recommended by our tour escort and it was within walking distance of our hotel. The windows are made from thin sheets of alabaster rather than glass which creates a lovely warm glow on the interior meant to resemble the interior of mission churches of the area. The most spectacular feature, however, is the modern tapestries of the Communion of Saints along both walls of the nave and behind the baptismal font. Absolutely breathtaking,

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Annie0809
Toronto, Canada
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Amazing Cathedral, a must-see in down-town LA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

You have to see this amazing place of worship in LA. I think it is truly an architectural and spiritual wonder. I found it very peaceful and serene. I attended noon hour mass and was delighted to hear the incredible pipe organ. The interior is admittedly more beautiful than than the perhaps more severe exterior design. I was just so taken by the interior of the church. They have done an amazing job making a huge church feel more intimate than you would expect. I took the free (1-hour) tour of the church and the mausoleum and would recommend it.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank John K
Redondo Beach, CA
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Big and beautiful, but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

I attended a wedding here, and found it to be just a little too large and sterile for my taste. The architecture is amazing, but lacks flavor or feeling. But that's me...I like it when a church makes you want to pray and sing.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Sandrinaav
Covina, California, USA
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Beautiful building”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Happened to wander into the Cathedral while the organist was rehearsing. I was taking some guests to see the music center and we walked across the street to see the new cathedral, which is a stunning building, very modern with no a lick of stained glass. I think it is beautiful, but if you are into a more traditional look, you may not like it. Well, the organ rehearsal was one of these experiences that you just can't prepare yourself for; big sound, full of grace, gorgeous. And then we went down to use the bathrooms and found the burial crypt - I think that's what it's called - where you can be buried if you can afford it. Pretty amazing, all in all.

Visited August 2012