“Great visit”

Go Los Angeles Card
Ranked #93 of 576 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Museum of Tolerance is a human rights laboratory and educational center dedicated to challenging visitors to understand the Holocaust in both historic and contemporary contexts and confront all forms of prejudice and discrimination in our world today.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The layout is a little confusing and backtracking but overall I highly recommend the museum. It is a Holocaust museum but teaches about tolerance for all, not just Jewish. The Holocaust Museum in DC is one of a kind and something hard to compare it to but MOT is just as good. While I was there they had an "Anne" exhibit that was very well put together, one of a kind expression of her story. They also can have a number of survivors speak, which can be emotional too. I think it is important to tell the story, that are getting to be so few left, it is important that we do not forget.

The Gift shop was very small and the guy behind the counter was on the phone on a personal call while waiting on customers.

1  Thank Paula885
There are newer reviews for Museum of Tolerance

Reviewed 16 March 2014

The Museum of Tolerance is one of those "must see in your lifetime" experiences. Looking back at past atrocities, as well as those happening today, gives the viewer an opportunity to see the world from a different and unique perspective. It is a history lesson that looks at all that can be bad in the world, as well as all that can and is good. I don't recommend taking young children as some of the exhibits are graphic, and call ahead to make reservations because they often sell out.

There is a restaurant upstairs that serves kosher food that is reasonably priced and good. Parking is in their own multi-level underground structure.

There is a lot of security, probably because they don't want anything to happen here. They're not friendly, but everyone else is.

2  Thank ScooterBillionaire
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We went there January 2014 and I was disappointed over all. Some staff were surly but there were some great displays and dramatic presentations. About 2/3 to 3/4 of the material delt with intolerance and savegery toward Jews throughout history. About 1/3 of the material and interactive presentations were about intolerance toward other minorities and people in general. The interactive materials were geared toward high schoolers.
My big gripe was that I expected a hopeful, tolerance encouraging presentation and it was just the opposite for the most part. 90% of the presentations described how intolerant some people can be with no information about all the great programs around the world that exist to encourage understanding, compassion, and tolerance.
Many of these programs exist in Israel and Palistine and strive against all the mutual hatred to bring mutual respect and peace. Not a word was presented about any these tolerance programs. Even the book store was devoid of the wonderful tolerance liturature that exist. My hero, Ebu Patel and his Interfaith Youth Core, was nowhere to be seen. Museum of Tolerance? I think not!

7  Thank LarryBuellton
Reviewed 3 March 2014

One would imagine that a museum meant to expose future generations to the horrors of the Holocaust would be somber, contemplative. One would be wrong. This is a propaganda theme park. At every turn, there's another screen with someone talking AT you. There are "interactive" screens designed to lead groups of children in study of modern-day terrorism, as if it is somehow related to the Holocaust. The entire structure is filled with giant groups -- tours -- of children, each with a guide or teacher of some sort. To go by yourself is difficult and unpleasant, starting with trying to get in, as other reviewers have mentioned.

Having bought general admission tickets online, my wife and I drove the half-hour to get there and were told that the "next" admission was 1:30. This was at 11:00 a.m. Reservations are "recommended." We next phoned in for a reservation, got a machine, left our details (as requested). We arrived, went through the ID check and car search, got to the desk, and, surprise -- no reservation. At this point I complained and the manager appeared. "Let them in," she said, warning us that 300 children would be present, as they were the last time we tried to get in. I asked an employee if it was filled with children every day, and she said yes. All the employees are not only curt but unfriendly, as though it were policy.

No map is given. No signs on the exhibits mark a preferred path, so we chose to walk through the museum avoiding the tour groups. At least five times, someone asked if he or she could "help us," the emphasis being on suspicion that we were somehow doing something wrong. "No, no, we're fine," I said. One man, glaring at us while leading a pack of kids, said, "You're going the wrong way."

Having been to museums all over the US and the world, I can only sadly report that this was the worst museum experience we have endured.

6  Thank NWDiner999
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Wow. What a horrible experience. We never even got in. Shouldn't a tolerance museum be happy to try and accommodate those who are interested and care about human rights issues? We were rudely told by the front desk lady that they were sold out of tickets for the day. We decided to just go into the gift shop because I never pass up a chance to buy a new human rights book so I can read and understand even more. While in there my fiancée had to go to the bathroom. Unfortunately, the only bathrooms are inside the area where you can only go if you have a ticket. He asked the front desk lady if he could use the restroom and she said to ask the security guard. He just shook his head no. I don't entirely mind dealing with rude staff at normal places but the TOLERANCE MUSEUM?! why don't you either hire better people or train them better?

5  Thank Kafreena