“Very disappointed”

Hollywood Downtowner Inn
Ranked #146 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I specifically booked a suite with separate living room and bedroom so that teenagers and adults have privacy. Was assured that was what I was booking. When I got there, there was no such suite available. The hotel is in a bad area of Hollywood. All businesses around it have bars on windows. Hotel's lobby is locked shut. While we were there asking to have our reservation canceled, a disoriented person tried to get in, but desk clerk would not unlock door. We wanted our reservations canceled, but desk clerk refused. We left there and found a wonderful Hotel 6 on Whitley Street less than a block off of Hollywood Blvd. in a nice area. Hollywood Downtowner still charged us for the room we had reserved. My advice, don't choose this hotel. Check out the Motel 6 on Whitley.

Room Tip: rooms are pretty, area outside the room possibly dangerous, open to street.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank KelleyFamily06

Reviewed 29 July 2011

The hotel is central when visiting Hollywood and breakfast is good compared to standard hotel "continental breakfasts". Parking is a bonus. But that's it: nothing special about this hotel. No complaints but compliments either. I'd definately stay somewhere else next time because this is a place you don't really want to "spend time at": the pool is just a puddle of water without a leisure area.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank SusannaSofia
Reviewed 13 July 2011

What a great hotel, the family that runs it could not be any nicer, they were most helpful with any request we had and helped with directs and the best places to eat at night, the room was a good size, the bed was comfortable, the sheets where nice and clean and we got clean towels very day. They have the best free hot breakfas and free car parking, it was in a great location from the highways the metro and the bus ran passed the door, it is in walking distant of the Chinese theatre, we were very surprised with this hotel and would recommend it to any-one, yes it is old but it has the 1930 movie style feel about it just wonderful. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elaine H
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I stayed at the Hollywood Downtowner for 5 nights at the end of March 2011.
The location was great as it is only a 5 minute walk to the Hollywood walk of fame and Kodak theatre.

I stayed in room 6. The room was a decent size and the bed was very comfy. The bathroom had a good shower in and looked modern.

The room had a fridge and a tv with more channels than you could ever need.

I loved the breakfast. It is in the building next door but it is only 60 seconds from the rooms.
They had fresh fruit, toast, bacon, egg, pancakes, juices, cereal.

The staff were very friendly.

They had a pool which looked clean and well maintained but it was too cold to go in at this time of year.

I enjoyed my stay that much that I booked to stay again for 4 nights on my return from Vegas.
When I stayed the second time I book the room opposite room 6. It had a double bed, plus a single and a seperate kitchen with a table. The room was much bigger and it was the same price.

It also has free wifi and free parking. The only hotel in Hollywood for this rate and parking.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2011

I think we were given the worst room in the place...even though I had booked it months in advance.
Our room had a creepy dark vibe...not much room to move around...and the view of the Hollywood sign couldn't be enjoyed due to the window being absolutely filthy.
I did ask if we could be moved to a different room...but got no response...and it actually became depressing toward the end of our stay.
We knicknamed it our 'prison cell'

The hotel offers complimentry breakfast every morning which is hosted by the nearby diner. That was the only good thing.
Location is very poor...having to walk past homeless people who line the street outside. That made the stay even more depressing.

Time seemed to drag on...and when our prison sentence was over...I was so glad when got to pack up and leave.

Would I stay again?.....NOPE

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank dragonflywhispers
Reviewed 23 February 2011

The location is just minutes from anything in Hollywood you could wish to visit.
Free parking and the Breakfast are the redeeming features of this Hotel. There are many things that could be improved such as the cleaning of the room. The Television automatically closing down every 60 minutes. Our room was insecure because the patio doors to the balcony were secured by a broom handle, and the glass was cracked. Other health and safety issues were the overloading of the sockets and an eclectric point in the bathroom above the sink. It was also quite noisey at times as some guests do not know how to consider others. Breakfast was in a cafe two doors down from the Hotel. It was the best breakfast I have ever had in the states.You could make your own waffles

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Last minute trip ,in town for unpleasant business, needed to be close to Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills. This hotel selected based on Southwest Airlines site. For the money not that bad- very noisy at all hours of the night, room C+, but for the price, reasonable. Breakfast was a pleasant surprise. Thanks!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business