“excellent service”

Hollywood Downtowner Inn
Ranked #151 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My partner and I had a fantastic stay at the Hollywood Downtowner Inn last month. Clean room, lovely customer service by the husband who runs the property with his wife. Pool was lovely and clean to use after a long day out sightseeing around LA. Also location great - only 5 mins walk to Hollywood/western station.
Really appreciate that the owners looked after our luggage for us for the day after we found out that we could not leave our luggage at the airport (or train station) and it was our last day in the US before our long flight home to Australia. It's the little things where people go out of their way to help you that really make a difference. Definitely will be staying here next time we are in LA.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margot P
hwdinn, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear Margot, We sincerely appreciate your thoughtful review.
We look forward to an opportunity to serve you again!

There are newer reviews for Hollywood Downtowner Inn

Reviewed 9 May 2013

It's been a couple (a couple plus a couple, actually) years since my four-day stay here, but I was completely charmed by it. My first impression was of a sweet oasis of flowers and warm retro color and architecture. My plane got in early, and the owners were gracious about getting me checked in as soon as a room was available. The room was clean and good-sized, and the only thing I missed by getting in early and snagging first available was a balcony (I'll wait for that next time).

Yes, the neighborhood is a little wobbly (see "oasis"), but, even walking to the Walk and back solo a couple times a day, I had no problems. Stayed alert, but never felt unsafe. Breakfast is minimal, but that wasn't an issue since I wanted a comfortable place to come back to after adventuring, and wouldn't likely have eaten the best of breakfasts at the hotel. The staff was pleasant, and I got to meet some good people sitting out in the courtyard.

The only downside of the entire trip was that I packed look-good shoes instead of feel-good shoes, had shredded my feet by day two, and couldn't find a pair of flip-flops in November to save my soul (in L.A.??? Really??). Great trip, and I would have accepted neutral from the hotel, but instead it made a good trip better. Hope to return one day soon.

Room Tip: Get a balcony
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Loree_Harrell

Dear Loree, Your thoughtful review was greatly appreciated! We look
forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed 8 May 2013

This was my second time staying here. I love the location, it's a good starting point for many Hollywood and Downtown L.A. adventures . The rooms are a bit quirky, but that's part of the Hollywood Downtowner charm. The rooms I stayed in, (2 different rooms during my recent stay), were a good size, comfortable and had lots of character. I always enjoy the breakfast choice that's available at the little restaurant a couple of doors down from the motel. Good parking, friendly, family-run business. It's good value for the area and good for people who like something with a bit more heart than your usual uniform motel room. Good local restaurant and shopping choices and good access to public transport, though I find it really useful to have a car in L.A.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Vivienne H
hwdinn, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Dear Vivienne, We appreciate you kind and thoughtful review! We strive to
make our guests feel they are 'home-away-from-home' and getting value
for their expenditure with us. We appreciate your business. Look forward
to your future visits. Happy travels!

Reviewed 7 May 2013

The hotel is in a pretty sketchy area of town. About a 15 minute walk from the beginning of the hollywood walk of fame. It's a decent hotel for the cost per night (we were on a budget and all the other hotels in hollywood are very expensive). We were able to get upgraded to a suite room with two king sized beds and a full kitchen even though we booked for two double beds. Breakfast was great!
I would suggest this hotel if you're on a budget and not travelling with kids as it is not in the best area of town.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ashley W
hwdinn, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Dear Ashley, We appreciate your thoughtful review. We are delighted that you
were able to see the sights within walking distance. We strive to exceed guest
expectations. Glad you enjoyed the two-bedroom king suite. Happy travels!

Reviewed 6 May 2013

This isn't the best place but it's certainly not the worst. I could level a lot of criticism but really, you get what you pay for and this place offers decent value. Just don't expect too much. The free overnight parking (in Hollywood) alone is worth at least $40.

The lady at the front desk is pretty rude and like other reviewers have stated, the front desk is always locked and you have to ring a bell. Which means this is a "mom and pop" place, not professionally managed. So, what do you expect.

The rooms are funky and there's tape over windows and the pool isn't well-cared for. And the bathrooms down at the YMCA are probably better.

But park your car, toss your stuff in your room, and go see the sights. When you come back late, you'll have a decently price place to crash and you can go grab a free taco for breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Joe, We appreciate your review. We strive to provide value for our guests.
Our hotel was built in the '50s and we have made and continue making every effort
to keep the property updated. All the best in your future travels!

Reviewed 4 May 2013

I paid 100$ for a night not at all worth it.
If you are offered about 40-50$ they stay there else dont bother.
Very old small room,rooms were not painted, taps in bathroom were broken. Terrible breakfast. They sent us to a small hotel nearby for breakfast which was awfully dirty.
1 gud thing is metro train in near by.

Room Tip: Stay here if you get it for 30 - 40$ per night else dont bother
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deepti R

Dear Guest Traveler, We appreciate your review. We strive to exceed guest expectations. We include free parking, WiFi, HBO/Cable TV, hot breakfast and in-room coffee at no extra cost to the guest. We regret that we were unable to exceed expectations with you on your visit. Happy travels!

Reviewed 30 April 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights (what a waste of my time and money!) with my sister. We are 2 females in our 20s and were given the very front room to stay in. The front room, meaning practically staying on the footpath! My bed was in line with the footpath and the noise at night was TERRIBLE! I understand it's 'Hollywood' and it's not the safest of areas, but I felt SO unsafe that I didn't sleep for 2 nights in fear of the fighting and the noise which was happening right NEXT to my window. There was a small gate out the front of the motel that had no lock or anything so anybody is pretty much free to open it and walk in! The reception desk however was always locked and someone would only open it if you rung the bell...how convenient!

The room smelt BADLY on some sort of nasty chemical and the bathroom was run down, dirty and very old!

Please, do yourself a favour and pay that little bit more and DON'T stay here. Hollywood Blvd. is not what it appears to be on the TV and I am disappointed I found that out the hard way!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bianca T
hwdinn, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear Guest, We appreciate your review. We strive to exceed guest expectations and provide the most value for the guest for the investment they are making. Los Angeles is a busy, loud and Metropolitan city and that is something we cannot control. Happy travels!