“Budget hotel with pool.”

Hollywood Downtowner Inn
Ranked #142 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed here at the start of our holiday for a few nights. The car park was busy but we had no problems finding spaces and the room was clean. The breakfasts were served at a little cafe next door and were ok. The location was a short walk (30 mins) away from the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood and was opposite an underground station. The pool area was compact but we always had it to ourselves (may have been because the pool was quite cold and shady in the afternoon!). We found that we often had to ring the bell several times if we needed the staff because they were not always at the desk. However, they were friendly and helpful and we would stay here again. If you are looking for cheap accommodation and are not fussy about where you stay then this is the place for you!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelMeMore5
hwdinn, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear TravelMeMore! We appreciate your thoughtful review and hope to see you again!
Happy travels! Kind regards, Hollywood Downtowner Inn Management

Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

The 5 days we stayed there were excellent. Very friendly people working there with that LA laid back but very helpful service.
Couldnt have asked for more in terms of location as it was just outside Hollywood Boulevard which is ideal if you want to rest at night.
At the end of the day you get what you pay for, this being that exception.
Will stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2013
hwdinn, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Traveler, In gratitude for your thoughtful review. Your feedback is helpful. Happy travels!

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

35 min medium pace walk to Chinese Theatre. Pool looks inviting. Rooms are run down with very dirty bathroom floor, I have resorted to wearing shoes when I go in to the bathroom. Very noisy road. Good aircon. Good enough bed. Could be greatly improved with some TLC. Palin Thai Restaurant three doors down is amazing. The negative reviews about the female owner proved correct but it's more attitude related rather than poor service. Ok for an overnight.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 1 August 2013

If you head to this hotel with high expectations, you won't be pleased as it is a 2-star with a cheap rate. I wasn't planning on spending much time at the hotel, so it met all my requirements. It was clean, the beds were comfortable, the staff were super nice and helpful. The distance to the Walk of Fame is a little longer than I was expecting though: that is my only complaint!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Josee L
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Hospitality is not in their vocabulary! We checked in for two nights on our honeymoon. The room was old, dirty and just disgusting with a view of the pool and 3 russian ladies that decided to change in front of their window every time they needed to change out their clothing. Location is not close to the hotspots of hollywood ave. We received only two towels for both days. The first morning we were woken up at 10am by the housekeeper peaking her head in. My husband then informed the housekeeper we didnt want service as they did not have DND signs for the door and wanted some alone time. We took our showers and went out for dinner, came back around 5pm to enjoy the pool. He went in to ask for towels, we were told they couldn't accommodate us right now. He said fine please let us know when you can. We never received towels so we ended up using the same two towels for our shower, swim and then shower again. Gross! The ice machine did not work, so we had to skip our champagne. The breakfast was horrible, eggs and hashbrowns were cold, they served an orange drink of some sort not orange juice, the person running the breakfast was rude and unfriendly. They are rude, and should not be in the hospitality industry! Pay the few extra bucks to stay elsewhere. Pictures to follow.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Meagan W
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Having never been to LA, this hotel was easy to find with a great location, very helpful owner; gave us a map and indicated the hot spots to check out. The room was older, but nicely renovated, clean and comfortable. The bed was a bit hard, but after a long day of sight seeing, very easy to fall asleep in. The pool looked very inviting, but we were too busy to take advantage of it. I had read that the location was a bit sketchy, but we always felt safe there. The only thing I would maybe say wasn't perfect was the breakfast buffet at the taco shop. Some of the items looked questionable, but the make-your-own-Belgian-waffle was delicious. I would definitely stay here again, would highly recommend anyone to as well. The free parking is great as that doesn't come with many places in the area. The only warning I would give is that this is not a 5* resort so don't expect a glamorous hotel. It's efficient for the traveler on a budget. We had a great experience here!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Seedyish neighborhood, WAY too far from the walk of fame to charge as much as they do. You have to be buzzed into the office by the owner/manager and all gates from the parking area to the court yard except one are locked all the time.

I had high hopes for this hotel based on the good reviews I had read. I was sorely disappointed. First, the facilities are very worn. The towels were thread bare, all areas needed a fresh coat of paint, the pool had debris in it and needed paint and so forth. When we checked in we were running to a reservation so we dropped our bags in the room and left. Just prior to leaving I moved the dresser because it was pushed away from the wall. I had to adjust the dresser so the door would close, so I KNOW where it was. When we returned the dresser was almost in the middle of the room, it was OBVIOUS someone had been in our room. I was assured by the manager/owner it wasn't possible anyone had been in our room. I know there was.
Later that night as I was showering my young daughter (no bath) I discovered the bathroom window was wide open. Because of these incidents and a couple of others we never felt comfortable here.
There was NO parking available, locals apparently use the hotel's lot with no consequences. We were told to block someone in and leave our keys! Breakfast was good tasting, but it was at the "House of Tacos" ( a bar) 2 doors down. During our first breakfast I over heard the attendant chastise a teenage guest for not clearing his dishes and putting them in the bus pan; they belonged to a man who had already left. The child was obviously mortified.
We felt so unsafe we had to push the dresser in front of the door both nights as there was no security lock/dead bolt.The ONLY reason we stayed 2 nights was because I had already paid for the room through Expedia. If I had it to do over I would have taken the loss and moved to a nice hotel for the second night.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel!