“3 nights, not to remember”

Hollywood Downtowner Inn
Ranked #148 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Location is relatively good, a walking distance from the nearest Red Metro line and 2 stops from Chinese Theatre.

The place really looks like it was transformed into a motel. Rooms are old and smelly. shower is outdated and the big old TV completes the 80's look and feel.

Our room was facing the sun, so the room was hot all the times as we needed to turn AC on a lot, but it was or extremely cold, or extremely hot.

Breakfast was down the street, and was above the average with an happy and bizarre old man as the host / cook.

Room Tip: Get a better Motel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Hello All...
We were coming from San Francisco Ca, 6 hour drive away. because of our long drive, like everyone else we go based on the reviews and pictures...
We had a big surprise upon arriving. I WISH I WOULD HAVE TAKEN PICTURES.

Location: ghetto location. Grafiti on the walls, garbage on the streets, I did not feel safe leaving my car on the street NOR walking to places.
At night we heard about 4 ambulances / Police pass by!

Upon arriving parking lot was full, its behind the hotel and they are cramped. I don't mind cramped parking spots, but I do mind seeing cockroaches in the parking lot!!
we walk through the back on the building to the front, to check in, and yes you do need a buzzard to be let in BUT BECAUSE OF THE DARN AREA WE ARE IN!!! the office is a little rinky dinky room, kinda smelly..

It literally looks like they were a bunch of apartments remodeled, and not very good. the pool looked gross when walking past it. the pool is in the middle of the hotel and you need to move around it to go to your hotel room. when opening the door to our room it was horrible. looks old. dusty, dirty,
I didn't want to even put my things on the floor in fear that the cockroaches would get in my thing!!!!!!!!!! my whole family was upset at me for having booked here.
restroom was also not nice. the windows looked old and had cobwebs.. doors had dings and scraps...

****we have traveled all over the place and to different countries. I ask that rooms be clean, no animals, and that you feel SAFE!***

we had a patio door that even though it was close, it felt as if it was open, huge draft.

I decided on this hotel for the proximity to Hollywood Studios.. my mistake and I will never rec this place to anyone. your money is better spent on another place.

luckily I had only made 1 night reservation because the next day we were going to Disneyland and were going to stay at a Extended Stay Hotel.
Extended Stay and This hotel were almost the same price!!!!!!!!!!

all in all ....save your money, go somewhere else !!!
you were advised!!Beware!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Camila C
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival we were so nicely greeted! We were given so much amazing information. What to and what not to do around the area. We were taken to our room and once we tried the shower, the water wouldn't come out. We mentioned this to the office at around 9.30pm and in 15 minutes they had been in and put an entire new shower head on for us! We stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed the front desk owner so much that we gave him an Australian souvenir!! Thanks again!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
hwdinn, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

We appreciate your kind review! Happy travels!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I was out in LA for a long week end looking at colleges. It was dirty and noisy all night. We left after one night. We would not have stayed the first night given a choice. We arrived late in the day and were unable to make other arrangements. I never met the "lovely couple" referred to by one reviewer. Instead we had an extraordinary nasty woman in the evening and a man the next morning. I stay in a lot of hotels, all over the world and this was the worst I have ever been forced to sleep in. The rooms are in disrepair (broken plaster and electrical sockets) and they are dirty. Just down the street from the Hollywood Downtowner are several decent options. They are the same price or cheaper and very clean and secure.

The pictures on the hotel website are not representative of the Hollywood Downtowner. I reserved the Hollywood Downtowner based on the photos on the website.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank ictr
Reviewed 27 April 2014

What's most important to me when selecting a hotel is cleanliness, affordability, and location. Our room and bathroom were clean. The price was right. And, the location wasn't bad although I would have preferred something closer to West Hollywood because that turned out to be my favorite spot in LA. There aren't as many lodging choices in West Hollywood, and what's there is probably more expensive. My husband and I spend very little time in our hotel room when traveling. We like to be out and about. So, The Hollywood Downtowner served its purpose as a place to sleep and shower. It's east of the sights in Hollywood, but you can walk to them. It's close to Koreatown. The staff was very nice, friendly, and happy to help. There was a/c, a fridge, microwave, closet with hangers, an iron, small coffeemaker, and alarm clocks. There isn't a fan in the bathroom so that's a con. The ice machine was broken. Bonus to have free parking though! There's a buffet-style breakfast that's included with the price. It's served two doors down from the hotel at Hot Taco. Basically, the hotel folks pay the Taco people to use their space in the mornings. Breakfast is served from 7:30-9:30. We got there at 7:30 the first morning, but the chef was late and breakfast wasn't served until 8am. A little frustrating when we wanted to hit the road first thing. We heard through the grapevine that this wasn't the first time this happened. Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage patties, make-your-own waffles, canned fruit cocktail, breads for toasting, coffee, oj, milk, cereal (Frosted Flakes, Fruit Loops, and Cookie Crisp - I would have appreciated a non-sugar choice), rice, beans, dried fruit, and a cheese plate. Some strange items. We only ate there twice because we weren't happy with it. The second day, there was a hair in the scrambled eggs I served to myself. Last comment, there's a pool that I was told wasn't heated. It wasn't crystal clear, but it looked clean. However, there was a sign on the gate to the pool stating that people who have had active diarrhea in the past 14 days are asked not to use the pool. We decided not to take a dip based on that sign.

Room Tip: Might want to ask for a room toward the back, one that's not right on Hollywood Boulevard. It c...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LizGage

Dear Liz! We appreciate your thoughtful and honest review. Happy travels!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the Hollywood Downtowner a few weeks ago for 7 nights while visiting my brother. The owner and his wife could not have been nicer and I enjoyed several conversations which allowed me to know them as a family. There is the need for some minor repair work; however, the rooms are clean and I must say the beds and pillows (!) are very comfortable. Had the room not been perfect for us, we would not have stayed that long. The location is within a block of the metro and there are bus stops close by as well. We were very pleased that a full hot breakfast was included. A local restaurant 2 doors away prepares the food - eggs, toast, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit, waffles, etc, etc, etc. It was very good. As others have said you get free wifi too. I can't say anything bad about our stay. I will gladly stay there during future annual visits.

Room Tip: Rooms located towards the back are quieter. The front is directly on Hollywood Blvd and you hear si...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kathy C

Dear Kathy, In gratitude for your kind review! Kind regards, Hollywood Downtowner Inn Hopitality Team

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Hollywood. We stayed here for 3 nights on our trip from NZ and the couple who run this place were extremely kind, friendly and willing to help guests. We had some issues with lost passports during our US trip and they truly went out of their way to help my husband and I. It is clean, has a safe feel to it and the rooms were spacious. It is situated in a great location, with yummy restaurants in walking distance and close to the Metro station and the inclusion of breakfast is an added bonus. Definitely worthwhile!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine A
hwdinn, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Catherine, We appreciate your kind & thoughtful review. Best of luck with the family. Look forward to seeing you on your next visit. ~Shaila & Bharat