“Hidden gem. This place is totally cool...”

Hollywood Hills Hotel
Ranked #147 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Hidden gem. This place is totally cool. From the great staff (especially Hallie May) to the great views of downtown LA and Hollywood, nevermind the huge balcony and spacious rooms...did I forget to mention the comfortable beds and quilt blanket. There is also a long Japanese history with this place that is very intriguing.
It is a 5 minute walk to Hollywood blvd and the staff will shuttle you up and down the hills upon request.

Highly Recommended!

• Stayed: September 2010
There are newer reviews for Hollywood Hills Hotel

Reviewed 3 September 2010

Staff: The single most outstanding hotel staff I've ever encountered. On average, we probably stay in 5-10 hotels a year and this is the best hotel staff ever. Incredibly friendly, accomodating, knowledgeable, pleasant - all the things you want in a hotel staff. Shuttle from Magic Castle to HHH was always quick to arrive and not at all inconvenient.

Pool: fabulous place to relax in the sun or shade and take in the sweeping views of LA. We had it nearly to ourselves for 2 full days. No kids around = quiet, enjoyable, relaxing. Grab a cocktail and a plastic cup and enjoy the views.

Location: 2 blocks from the Walk of Fame if that's your thing. Easy walk - about 0.7 mi - to the Hollywood Bowl. Taxi fares not bad from here to most night spots. At the gated entrance to the HHH - at the top of the hill - is probably the best place to see the Hollywood sign in all of Hollywood!

Views: We went for the $10 per night for a balcony room and so worth every penny. We sat on that in the morning and again at night enjoying the views of the city, all to ourselves.

Rooms: Not the newest furniture but was comfortable and more than adequate. Mini kitchen with refridgerator - convenient for food and drinks - and to keep the free snacks from hotel lobby cool. Carpet was stained (who cares) but the room was clean. Toiletries provided were very nice (shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc.),

Don't forget to get the gold pool key from the front desk when you check in so you can enter/exit the pool at your leisure!

We would definitely absolutely stay again if ever in Hollywood - and I will always judge future hotel staff against the staff at the Magic Castle / HHH.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amdandrea
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We stayed here after looking into several places close to the Hollywood bowl. They have let this wonderful hideaway age gracefully. Some would say it needs serious remodeling, but then I would say they have missed out on the charm and historical significance. We were treated like royalty. Romantic and relaxing with a staff that constantly amazed us with their help and super friendly attitude. We are looking for a reason to come back as soon as possible. The place caught us completely off-guard with it's charm and grace. Best staff ever encountered. Price was not high, not low. Worth every penny. Close to everything Hollywood. Quiet too. Incredible view.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I actually booked a room at the Magic Castle hotel, which is run by the same people as the Hollywood Hills hotel, but there was a problem with my booking and I got moved here. It's a "sister" hotel that's a 5 minute walk away and borrows some of the Magic Castle's services.

At first I was pretty annoyed. Instead of the bright, family friendly Magic Castle I'd booked, I found myself climbing a very steep, dark hill up to this place, which appears to be mostly residential apartments, and those that aren't filled with permanent tenants are used as hotel rooms. It has a coded security gate at the entrance, but the actual room security is pretty poor. The room smelled of gas, and the air con was incredibly loud. I was fairly unhappy by the time I settled in (I called the desk to ask to be moved but was denied).

Then I looked out of the window (of room 504) and the view immediately made up for a significant part of that unhappiness. On a clear day you can see the Griffiths observatory, the corner of Hollywood and Highland, and Downtown LA in the distance. It's a really great view, and when the sun came up, the hotel suddenly started to feel a lot more secure, nestled in the hills amongst the typical Hollywood houses and the Yamashiro restaurant next door.

As it's run by the Magic Castle, you get use of their free breakfast, their free "mini bar" (you have to go to their front desk to collect items), their pool and their mostly lovely staff. That's a definite plus, but as I say - I wanted to be in the Magic Castle, not a 5 minute walk away. Worth noting that there's no internet at the hotel, you need to walk down to the Magic Castle's pool area if you want that.

The location is pretty handy though, as it's a short walk down the steep hill to Hollywood Boulevard, which meant it was easy to get to the Chinese theatre before the crowds turned up. If you do stay here, bear in mind you can use your pool key to get through the lower car exit gate which saves a lot of hill walking.

The pool (separate to Magic Castle's pool) is very pretty, themed after the Yamashiro restaurant, but quite busy and loud (the residents were playing music there for most of our stay - if you like Alkaline Trio you'll be OK here). The car parking is awkward, but safe and easy to access (costs $10 a night though).

My main gripe is that there's a few factors that eat away at my ability to sleep here - the door locks feel loose and the doors rattle in their fittings at night; the air con is insanely loud at times; the fridge buzzed like crazy; the room smelled funny - if only the place had a bit more attention maintenance and security wise, it would have been a fantastic stay. As it is, it's a mix of terrible and awesome elements that ends up about average.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DaveC64
Reviewed 31 July 2010

My teenage son and I recently stayed at the Hollywood Hills Hotel which is affiliated with the Magic Castle Hotel. You check in and eat breakfast at the Magic Castle Hotel as the rooms of the Hollywood Hills Hotel are up the hill and some of the property are residential apartments. When we arrived we were greeted with a cool drink and instantly made to feel very welcome. We had a studio room with a kitchenette with a lovely view of the Hollywood Hills. The room itself was on the older side but it was quiet and spacious. The walk down to the Magic Castle Hotel took 7 minutes (and I'm not a particularly fast walker) but it is quite steep. We never did walk up as there was always someone able to drive us up to our room. We never waited longer than a couple of minutes for a ride and this was at all sorts of different times of the day including after 10:00 pm.

The continental breakfast was great, including yogurt, cereals, toast, croissants, scones and muffins. There were a number of juices and tea, coffee and instant hot chocolate. Definitely a big cut above the average.

The Magic Castle is located a block and a half from Hollywood Boulevard. Once you are on Hollywood Boulevard you turn left and right there is Madame Tussauds and a bit beyond in the same block is the Chinese Theatre and the Kodak Theatre. Madame Tussauds was amazing and the half hour tour of the Kodak Theatre was certainly worth doing. In the area in front of the Kodak Theatre there are a number of stands with numerous brochures, with lots of information about attractions, some with coupons for the local attractions. There is also a manned Information Centre there on the left hand side as you are facing the theatre. The entrance to the theatre is actually quite far back from the street past a number of shops and the box office for tour tickets for the Kodak Theatre is located there. One other attraction which we thought was wonderful was the Hollywood History Museum. It had a huge collection of Marilyn Monroe memorabilia and so much more. It is on Highland just off Hollywood Boulevard and again really worth seeing. One more thing, we loved our tour of Warner Brothers Studio, especially our tour guide Andy K.

We had dinner at Yamashiro, which is just above the Hollywood Hills Hotel. The view from the restaurant is beautiful and expansive and it is not too expensive if you watch which entrees you order. The Magic Hotel staff made the reservation for us and imagine our surprise and pleasure when we were served a free appetizer compliments
of the Magic Castle!

One other thing about the hotel as that they had a list of goodies, snacks and soft drinks that you could have by simply going to the front desk and requesting some. My son (and I!) really loved this, particulary at the end of a long day exploring Hollywood.

I can't say enough about the staff at the Magic Castle Hotel. They were all so pleasant and helpful, especially Lisa, Zishon (spelling?) and Karen. We look forward to returning some time in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2009

Great view! wasnt expecting it when i looked out.
Great staff, at check in and check out!
Parking is a lil weird but its cool.
You check in at the Magic Castle down below which looked to be a great place also.
I will stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2009

i was having a hard time finding cheap accommodation in hollywood, without there being numerous reviews warning of bed bugs, and when i found this place it sounded okay, but was a little out of my budget. i went ahead and booked it anyway.
my room was huge!
it also had an incredible view out over hollywood and LA, oh it really took my breath away.
the hollywood hills hotel is just hotel rooms. the pool and laundry (and free internet) are down at the magic castle, but if you call the reception they'll come and pick you up right away.
from there you can easily walk to the walk of fame, chinese theater and madame tussauds.
the staff were all so nice, and really helpful!
they welcome you with a champagne glass full of apple cider (maybe this was just because i was under 21, who knows)
i had such a lovely stay.
i would highly recommend this hotel!!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo