“Fine simple hotel”

Ranked #122 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
ashland, oregon
“Fine simple hotel”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Easy place to be; beds super comfy and the tv had a ton of channels from which to choose. Parking on the street was a little bit of a hassle, but not insurmountable. Simple but sufficient breakfast. Good location in the middle of the city.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank grateful2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Hebrew first
Oakland, California
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Spent an entire week at the hotel and found it thoroughly enjoyable .
The room was spacious, the decor understated with very comfortable bed , a small fridge and windows that one could open. The hotel was very clean . Loved sitting outside under an umbrella where the chairs are comfortable and the WI-FI reception excellent .
Walking distance to LACMA, Whole Foods, Farmers Market etc. was priceless !
I opted not to have a car and got picked up from LAX by SUPER SHUTTLE which I highly recommend as it is both inexpensive and allows one to sightsee while other passengers are being dropped off.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Olasek
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I write this as a post-op patient who used this hotel during recovery. I can only say that it was the next best thing to home. The ground floor room I was provided with was spacious, clean, comfortable -- my surgeon came to check on me in my room, and he too commented on the excellent hygiene and general spaciousness. In fact, I was recommended to this hotel by his staff, as many of his patients have stayed at this hotel with great success. I was looking for something cost-friendly but safe, clean, and welcoming -- this hotel completely surpassed my expectations. The location was more than excellent -- as soon as I was able to walk, I could get my daily groceries etc from the local Whole Foods (very close) and dollar store (even closer!) CVS, KMart in the same shopping complex as WF. It's also extremely close to the good bus line which took me to farther locations.

There's a living-room-like lobby, where I often made phone calls or just printed from the computer, and a nice courtyard in the back as well as a little patio in the front -- I made avail of all these extra spots, and they made the stay even more home-like -- so many options to situate yourself! :)

Last but certainly not least, Ross at the front desk is an incredible asset to the hotel -- he's helpful, respectful, CARING!, considerate....and highly efficient. He gave us great tips on how to use the bus, and was just so kind to me and to my (elderly) parent who was in caretaker capacity. He carried UPS boxes to our room, so obligingly, and some of them were heavy with special foodstuffs (post-op) and supplements/medicines. I brought a therapeutic small exercise equipment for my stay, and he wheeled that into the room as well AND packed it up for us when we were leaving, as I was not able to do this work and my parent is weakened by arthritis. This goes well beyond "just business" and this is what he adds to the overall excellent experience.

We were allowed to store some ice packs/special frozen foods in the general fridge/freezer, and that too was very helpful.

I can't recommend this hotel enough. I was staying in a "medical tourist" capacity more than a "vacationing tourist" and even so, I found the hotel catapulted higher than expectations.

You won't be sorry if you choose this hotel!

(Shout-out to Ross! Thanks again!)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MsM80
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 25 December 2013

This is a quaint, clean and cozy hotel thats perfect for a great night's sleep. The hotel staff were warm, kind and supportive. It's placed in an excellent location, actually a perfect location, what else do you need?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TalyaWe
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The Complimentary Parking Permit for street parking (one space on the side of the building) is a joke. This apartment building converted into a hotel has street parking ONLY.
My lock (no card key) on my door was loose. I was unable to sleep peaceful due to me being a woman and by myself.
The free continental breakfast has no prepared hot dishes at all. No microwave to warm up muffins that sit out uncovered the entire time period.

I give high praise to the night desk help for promptly getting the wifi back up and running so that I could complete my work online. He as extremely proficient.

Room Tip: Inform all people that if they are handicap with a wheelchair, they are to seek other accommodations...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RayVon84
Tomasy35, Guest Relations Manager at Wilshire Crest Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Let me start by saying I am glad the night attendant was able to handle the situation in a timely and professional manner. In regards to your other points, there must have been a misunderstanding regarding the permit parking. The permit is not for any specific spot but rather the permit allows you to park anywhere on the street all day. As far as the breakfast in concerned, we offer a variety of pastries, bagels, hard boiled eggs cream cheese, butter, hot and cold cereal, juice, coffee, tea, fruit and more. While most guests are satisfied with what we provide, I do understand that you were looking for more hot prepared foods.

Aaron T.
Telluride, Colorado
Reviewed 3 December 2013

These guys need to watched very carefully. When I booked on Hotels.com, for about 30 percent less than the rate on the hotel's website, I was charged a $40 per day deposit. When I checked out they ran my card for both the deposit, plus tax ($138) AND the full three day room charge (another $415). When I called to try to get it sorted out I ran into multiple denials of having made the double charge, plus I was told I needed to come up with complete credit card records, etc.. Rather than spend several hours putting together records, I told them to figure it out and credit my account. The easy thing would have been to simply credit my card for the improperly charged deposit. That is apparently too simple. Also noteworthy that the breakfast consists of cold pastries and hard boiled eggs and really watered down coffee.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank OMAWestside59
Tomasy35, Guest Relations Manager at Wilshire Crest Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Please allow me to respond to your review of our hotel. In terms of the rate, I am happy to hear that you were able to take advanatage of our special promotion that we ran through our on line travel agents. In terms of the billing, I immediatley looked into this matter and got to the bottom of it. Upon checking in, we took a pre-authorization of your card for the equivalent of one night stay. When you checked out your card was charged for the 3 nights.( The complete length of your stay). The original pre-authorization was cancelled by us at that point and was never charged. We advised you to cal your credit card to confirm that in fact that was the case. You indicated that you were not interested in doing so. We then contacted our credit card processing company to make sure that the original pre-authorization was not charged. We were informed that it was never charged. However, per your banks policy, the pre-authorization will be held for up to 72 hours. This morning, after reading your review I once again contacted our credit card processor and was reassured that the original pre-authorized amount was never charged and in fact the hold has been released. I do apologize for any inconvinience this may have caused you but you card was only charged the 3 nights that you stayed with us.

Aaron Tomaszewski
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We we stayed in this hotel in early November13. To be honest this hotel is far from perfect: rooms are a bit old, this is the only hotel from our 7 hotels during our trip where we had problems with lock on dry wooden door about to fall apart. The most important thing we were not happy about - was very noisy. We could hear everything what was going on in closest rooms and behind the door. I will definitely reccomend to bring earplugs with you. Also our plumbing was growling like mad animal from time to time. Breakfast was weak (better than nothing though).
BUT
All negatives are being overwritten by the price and place of the hotel. Keep in mind hotel is situated in Beverly Hills - most expensice part of LA, this is the most cheap hotel in Beverly Hills I believe, so for this price you get more you paid for.
Once again - if you want very good hotel be ready to pay 300-400 bucks per night. I didnt have so much and stayed here, and I dont regret it.

Room Tip: Strongly reccomend to bring earplugs with you.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends