“Never rent from Hertz Los Angeles”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of South Los Angeles

Los Angeles Bike the Beach Tour
Ranked #462 of 539 things to do in Los Angeles
Barrie, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never rent from Hertz Los Angeles”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

HORRIBLE experience with Hertz. Rented a car for a good price, and was FORCED to upgrade by double the amount to have a GPS. Feel taken advantage of as I was from out of country and had 2 sleeping children. WIthout a GPS would never be able to find where I was going. Should have rented with DOLLAR, NEVER RENT FROM HERE!!! Wish I had read reviews prior to travelling.....

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Michelle D

Toledo, OH
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Worst car rental experience EVER”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Worst car rental experience ever. I have no idea how Hertz got to be number 1 with their prices and awful service and all these one star reviews. If I could give this a zero star or even better a negative I would.

Hertz is always the most expensive unless I get them on a price line rental and this is the second time I have received them on a priceline bid, and with all the car rentals I have done as a frequent traveller, I have only had two problems with rental cars companies and both were with my only two Hertz experiences.

When getting the car upon landing it was a long wait for the shuttle. I saw a least three Budget and Alamo/National busses circle before Hertz arrived. After arriving you have to pick up a phone at a kiosk to speak to a rep instead of just swipping your credit card and picking up your car. The rep kept trying to push an upgrade for 25% off which I didn't want seeing my hotel has a lot of spots only for compact cars and I wasn't going to be driving much anyway. When he finally gave up, it turned out they only had full size cars that day anyway and he could give me 50% off instead for a full size upgrade. I told him that wasn't acceptable and I rented an economy and refused to pay any kind of an upgrade fee and he finally gave up and said they could give me a complimentary upgrade. The rep also kept trying to push their insurance even though my credit card provided it. Once I received the car number it was a pain trying to find the spot number and there were no reps on the lot to assist you.

All the other rental places I deal with will have a human rep look at the car and ask for a gas receipt if required. With Hertz they just direct you into a spot and don't inspect the car or give you a receipt.

First time I rented with Hertz they tried saying there was damage done to the car that was there when I rented the car. Fortunately I had taken pics with my cell phone of when I rented the car and when I returned it and had to contest the charges with the credit card company. Who knows how many other people they gave that damaged car to and charged them for the damage when the damage was probably already paid for by the renter responsible. I was on hold waiting for a rep from Hertz for 20 minutes and when I couldn't resolve it I just contested it with my credit card company.

Yesterday I received a statement for over $35 for fuel charges when I drove the car only 45 miles and refueld it. I called Hertz and was on a 15 minute hold and was told it was in the rental agreement I had to leave a receipt on the seat if I drove the car for under 100 miles. I did pull the agreement and it was buried in some fine print. Other places I rent from have a sticker on the car and/or a human rep asking for the receipt when it's returned. If they would have had a human check me I would have provided a receipt or they should have told me when I left the lot the policy. The rep at hte Kiosk had no problem keeping me on the phone trying to sell my unnecessary upgrades or to get a GPS I didn't need, yet couldn't tell me this policy!!

I told Hertz I would gladly email or fax a receipt and that wasn't good enough. I asked how they arrived at that figure and I was told they charge $9.xx a gallon plus tax for refueling and they base it on the miles driven and the MPG on the car (they also charged over a $3 refueling surchage on top of the absurd $9.xx per gallon). I told him I wanted proof they put that much gas in the car since the tank was full and he said they couldn't provide it.

I called my credit card company and they said it was a common complaint with Hertz and they would handle removing the charge.

In the future I am probably not going to deal with Priceline. Any other car rental company I have good luck with but don't want to risk having Hertz again and will just pay the few extra dollars with Costco.

If I do end up with Hertz again I am going to just go directly to the credit card company and dispute any charges.

If this wouldn't have been a prepaid priceline rental I would have just gone to another place. I wish now I would have just called budget and seen if they would have matched the price and gone there and contested the credit card charge when I got home

Visited February 2014
6 Thank Jamesteroh
Sylva, North Carolina
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Hertz LAX”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I waited for over an hour ,no one seem to care . I asked what the problem was and they said my SUV was not clean or ready I waited and waited .Went back said this is not right they said in fact they did have my request in yet . Ridiculous . I said I want a car and now, they upgrade me to a Mercedes SUV very nice at no extra, whatever nice but when your spending a 1000. plus day on vacation you don't want spend it in airport rent a car .Better get your act on Hertz ,enterprise is going to buy you out for penny's on the $ .

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Dpreston53
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Horrible flight update”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Hi, you all may remember me.
i had the story that is attached at the bottom of this note.

after my horrifying trip, air canada didnt even has the decency to call me.
i just got an automatic reply saying please enjoy a 25% discount on my next flight.

I am so upset. me (and everyone on my flight) where treated horribly.

we where lied to and treated as if we are not important.

see my story....

Left on January 10th at 8pm, flight was on time – no problems

Booked to depart on January 18th at 10pm and to return in Toronto at 6am January 19th.
On January 17th I received an email from Air Canada telling me that my return flight was cancelled and it had moved to 3:20 pm on January 18th.
I then called Air Canada and asked to be put on the 8am January 19th flight – they did that – no problem
January 19th 3:30 am I was on my way to LAX – dropped of my car rental at 4am and made sure I didn’t get charged for the extra day – I didn’t get charged. 

At the LAX airport waiting for 7:25am to roll around so I can get on the plane- waiting at the gate, people were talking about the flight change and how the 3:20 January 18th flight departed and malfunctioned and almost crashed into the mountains, those people were now on my flight.
Lone be hold – it was the same plane.

Now we are on the runway ready for takeoff at 8am Jan 19th when the captain announces that we are going to drive around the airport to make sure the plane is OK.
2 hours after we got back to our gate and we are told to get off and wait by our gate until they fix the problem.

It is now 11am and we are re-boarding the plane as we are told everything is OK and we are ready to leave.
We all re-board the plane, only to find out it is the same plane that almost crashed the day before. We are on the runway now, ready for takeoff and the captain announces that we are leaking oil – soooo we go back to our gate and we are told to go back out into the ticketing area and get on a different plane, different flight. At this point the captain tells us that he is refusing to fly this plane as it is unsafe. (and the pilot leaves)

Ticketing tells us that there are 2 planes coming from Toronto to LAX at 10pm that night to take us home- we all check-in and go back to our gate to wait until 10pm to leave LAX.
10pm rolls around and they ask us to start boarding – we are put into 2 shuttle buses and we are taken to a remote area where we will be climbing up the stairs into our plane – we wait in the bus for 35minutes until they find stairs high enough for us to get into the plane.

As we get on this plane to depart, the captain announces that the maintenance crew is still working on the mechanical problems. – we wait for another hour and are told that we are to take the buses again and go back to our gate.
It has now been 18 hours that we are waiting at LAX to leave.

We go back to our gate and are promised that they will have an 12:30am flight ready for us and it will be a different plane. – it is now 1am and we get back on the buses to go to a different remote area to get on a plane. We get there and this remote area looks like a shed with a ramp – they ask us all to wait in this area and tell us that they are waiting for a pilot.
An hour later we are told that it is the same plane AGAIN and the crew is still working on it – we all get back on the bus and start fighting with the air Canada crew members for lying to us yet again.
7 cop cars show up and escort us back to the gate as all of us refused to board the same plane for the 4th time.

At 1:45am an Air Canada plane landed and passengers got off, we start yelling at the air Canada crew to see if the pilot will agree to fly us back on the plane that had just arrived – the pilot was nice enough to agree and now at 2:15am January 20th we start our departure from LAX.

We land in Toronto at 10am this morning only to find out that our luggage never made it on our plane..

Now we all fill out lost luggage forms and we are told that we might not get our luggage back but if by chance we do, it won’t be until January 21st.

So I am sorry if I am cranky today, I have been awake since 9am January 18th – going on 53 hours with no sleep.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank Ani K
Irvine, California
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Customer does not come first at Hertz!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

The customer does not come first at Hertz!!!
I prepaid a rental for an out of town guest for 30 days. My guest and his family arrived from Australia a few hours ago and were told that they could not get the car and I needed to be at the airport. Only problem, I am in Orange County and Hertz would not accept my guest's card!! What was Hertz customer service -- "sorry we can't help you. And my manager, she's not available". So, after a very long flight from Australia, three tired people left the Hertz line without their car..... I am very disappointed and will work with other rental car companies in the future.
Note: I have rented cars for over 15 guests in the past 15 years and have never had this issue happen. Then again, I never rented from Hertz.

Visited January 2014