“Talked into many charges”
Review of South Los Angeles

Los Angeles Bike the Beach Tour
Ranked #468 of 547 things to do in Los Angeles
Berlin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Talked into many charges”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The guy sorting my reservation was super friendly and mentioned discount this discount that, but in reality he'd conned me good, well done him:

1) He said the small car I booked had no GPS so I'd have to have the larger (more expensive model)
2) He told me my journey would easily use a whole tank or fuel so the Fuel surcharge was worth me doing....I used a quarter of a tank
3) The car was dirty inside and out
4) The GPS was like something from the dark ages. It's first instruction was to "drive to the start point"....somewhere a mile away..?!

Basically the rental started at $45 and ended at $220. If course I could have avoided most the charges, but he made it sound helpful and in the end, I just needed to get the car and go.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank TerryNutkins222

Atlanta, Georgia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“LAX Hertz Car Rental - GOLD Member Gets "No Service"”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Even if you have a +10 year standing with Hertz, you still are treated Terrible. I arrived at the LAX Hertz on their shuttle bus expecting my name on the "Gold" board. It wasn't there so I go inside to the Gold Member counter, but there was no Gold Member Counter. I get in the line with everyone else and see that there are 4 stations open withe people being helped. I thought OK, this will go pretty fast, but no as each of the stations finished with their customer, the attendants close and walk off! The line is now growing. It's down to one station, then he goes over to the self service kiosk, picks up a phone and yells "NEXT" holding up the phone! Then everyone in line sighs, and by this time I'm not very happy. Nobody goes over to the kiosk. Why? I see several employees (6) behind the counters talking to each other about everything but work. Nobody cares. About 10 minutes later one counter opens, then another. Aha...2. I get my turn, get my car and am told I have to pay a $200 deposit because they didn't have the reservation tied to my Gold Membership. The attendant says, I can do that but I will have to start over and you will lose your reservation. Never mind, just give my the car please. By the way not one person looked like they were in charge, no leadership at all. I will no longer rent from Hertz.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank norton172
Barrie, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never rent from Hertz Los Angeles”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

HORRIBLE experience with Hertz. Rented a car for a good price, and was FORCED to upgrade by double the amount to have a GPS. Feel taken advantage of as I was from out of country and had 2 sleeping children. WIthout a GPS would never be able to find where I was going. Should have rented with DOLLAR, NEVER RENT FROM HERE!!! Wish I had read reviews prior to travelling.....

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Michelle D
Toledo, OH
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Worst car rental experience EVER”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Worst car rental experience ever. I have no idea how Hertz got to be number 1 with their prices and awful service and all these one star reviews. If I could give this a zero star or even better a negative I would.

Hertz is always the most expensive unless I get them on a price line rental and this is the second time I have received them on a priceline bid, and with all the car rentals I have done as a frequent traveller, I have only had two problems with rental cars companies and both were with my only two Hertz experiences.

When getting the car upon landing it was a long wait for the shuttle. I saw a least three Budget and Alamo/National busses circle before Hertz arrived. After arriving you have to pick up a phone at a kiosk to speak to a rep instead of just swipping your credit card and picking up your car. The rep kept trying to push an upgrade for 25% off which I didn't want seeing my hotel has a lot of spots only for compact cars and I wasn't going to be driving much anyway. When he finally gave up, it turned out they only had full size cars that day anyway and he could give me 50% off instead for a full size upgrade. I told him that wasn't acceptable and I rented an economy and refused to pay any kind of an upgrade fee and he finally gave up and said they could give me a complimentary upgrade. The rep also kept trying to push their insurance even though my credit card provided it. Once I received the car number it was a pain trying to find the spot number and there were no reps on the lot to assist you.

All the other rental places I deal with will have a human rep look at the car and ask for a gas receipt if required. With Hertz they just direct you into a spot and don't inspect the car or give you a receipt.

First time I rented with Hertz they tried saying there was damage done to the car that was there when I rented the car. Fortunately I had taken pics with my cell phone of when I rented the car and when I returned it and had to contest the charges with the credit card company. Who knows how many other people they gave that damaged car to and charged them for the damage when the damage was probably already paid for by the renter responsible. I was on hold waiting for a rep from Hertz for 20 minutes and when I couldn't resolve it I just contested it with my credit card company.

Yesterday I received a statement for over $35 for fuel charges when I drove the car only 45 miles and refueld it. I called Hertz and was on a 15 minute hold and was told it was in the rental agreement I had to leave a receipt on the seat if I drove the car for under 100 miles. I did pull the agreement and it was buried in some fine print. Other places I rent from have a sticker on the car and/or a human rep asking for the receipt when it's returned. If they would have had a human check me I would have provided a receipt or they should have told me when I left the lot the policy. The rep at hte Kiosk had no problem keeping me on the phone trying to sell my unnecessary upgrades or to get a GPS I didn't need, yet couldn't tell me this policy!!

I told Hertz I would gladly email or fax a receipt and that wasn't good enough. I asked how they arrived at that figure and I was told they charge $9.xx a gallon plus tax for refueling and they base it on the miles driven and the MPG on the car (they also charged over a $3 refueling surchage on top of the absurd $9.xx per gallon). I told him I wanted proof they put that much gas in the car since the tank was full and he said they couldn't provide it.

I called my credit card company and they said it was a common complaint with Hertz and they would handle removing the charge.

In the future I am probably not going to deal with Priceline. Any other car rental company I have good luck with but don't want to risk having Hertz again and will just pay the few extra dollars with Costco.

If I do end up with Hertz again I am going to just go directly to the credit card company and dispute any charges.

If this wouldn't have been a prepaid priceline rental I would have just gone to another place. I wish now I would have just called budget and seen if they would have matched the price and gone there and contested the credit card charge when I got home

Visited February 2014
6 Thank Jamesteroh
Sylva, North Carolina
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Hertz LAX”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I waited for over an hour ,no one seem to care . I asked what the problem was and they said my SUV was not clean or ready I waited and waited .Went back said this is not right they said in fact they did have my request in yet . Ridiculous . I said I want a car and now, they upgrade me to a Mercedes SUV very nice at no extra, whatever nice but when your spending a 1000. plus day on vacation you don't want spend it in airport rent a car .Better get your act on Hertz ,enterprise is going to buy you out for penny's on the $ .

Visited June 2013