“Hertz LAX - Stay Away”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Hertz LAX - Stay Away”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The LAX location has significant management issues, at least based on the experience I had with this rental as a Presidential Circle Member.

Upon arrival on the 6th of August, my name was not on the #1 Gold Board. This is inexcusable in and of itself, as the reservation was made in March. Thus, I went to the #1 Gold service counter, where I was fourth or fifth in line. The wait there was an hour to get our car. This is especially frustrating with my family in tow, as this was a vacation rental.

On August 12th, the car, a Chevrolet Impala, was struck by a rock thrown from a freeway overpass. Nobody was hurt, but the windshield was damaged. We returned the car on the 13th to LAX. After a 15 minute wait in line, the #1 Gold desk informed me curtly that the exchange would be handled by customer service. This required another lengthy wait. The car was exchanged for a Dodge minivan, which should be in this RR. The second car had a filthy third row area. The cup holders were full of uneaten food, and spilled coffee. The car itself needed an alignment, as it pulled to the right during normal driving. The transmission shifted hard at some times, and slipped at others, on the five-mile drive back to my in-laws' house.

I returned this car within an hour, and then things got much worse. Three successive minivans on the Hertz lot ALL had trash in the third row, including a half-eaten burger. One of them had the light on the inside of the tailgate dangling from wires. All three had high mileage - 38k, 60k, 68k. Given that the first minivan of the day had obvious mechanical issues, I was unwilling to take an unclean vehicle, with obvious issues, and potentially other issues given the high mileage.

The customer service manager at the rental return area was unwilling to look at a larger class of car, until eventually a Jeep Patriot was provided. While this is nominally a larger car, it is in fact smaller inside and has less luggage space, which is a real problem for a family vacation. As it was 2:25 by this time, and I first arrived at Hertz at 10:30, I took it anyhow.

I was at the return counter outside because the #1 Gold line was at least 20 deep.

While driving back to my in-laws, I noticed that this car pulls to the left while driving. It too needs an alignment. At least it's clean.

Four minivans with serious issues, and another vehicle with an obvious need for an alignment, and an obvious shortage of staff at #1 Gold, equals a local management issue. Renting very high mileage vans is a corporate problem. Shouldn't be done.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank Bill R

Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Hertz at LAX - long lines, long wait for car”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We reserved a full sized car from Hertz. At Lax office we had to wait in a very long, slow moving line. Hertz employees spent a lot of time ignoring customers.
after 45 minutes we finally got to clerk, who seemed friendly but inexperienced. after a lot of time wasted on trying to sell us on insurance he finally revealed that our car was not ready yet.
This is a huge facility with thousands of cars on the lot. He couldn't understand that there might be another full size car that was ready- that there was not just a specific car that we would accept.
He promised that our car would be ready in 10-15 minutes. 35 minutes later they told us our car was ready & then tried to trick us into paying for full insurance coverage.

Visited August 2014
4 Thank David P
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Check in smooth but check out was horrible.”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Check out we were told to stand in line for receipt. No one in line was being helped or could get answers. After 20 min in line and getting to the front I was told I didn't need to stand in line and that a receipt could be emailed. Other car companies have a smoother check out. I missed two buses to the airport waiting in line under the hot sun.
Also the bus driver was rude too.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Laxtraveler070414
Perth, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Dollar rent a car - never again. Not ever!”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Wish I'd checked the reviews before flying to Los Angeles - could maybe have missed the poor service others have written about. Yes, a 50 minute wait at the airport for the courtesy bus, then a further one hour and 50 minutes standing in a very slow moving queue at the Dollar 'terminal'
Only about half the service points were actually staffed but they still managed to free up one girl to hustle the many waiting people into a nice neat queue!
Once at the desk the operator did her very best to sell us a range of add ons we neither needed nor wanted. It took an age (about a further 15 or 20 minutes) to convince her we did not want extra insurance, we had our own sat nav, and no way was I agreeing to the $50 dollar fuel charge so that they could fill up the tank on my return. (as it happens, the final fill of the tank cost only $14 dollars - what a rip off)
On return to the UK I contacted Dollar to complain. To be fair they did respond - chose to completely ignore everything other than the 'delayed' courtesy bus and had the outright audacity to send me a $20 dollar voucher for my inconvenience.
Never again!
My past experience with Avis has been faultless - quick honest service. Next time, its Avis for me.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Flona2014
Chattanooga, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Hertz LAX - Won't do it again!”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Be careful when using their handy-dandy kiosk to obtain your rental. The receipt is long (because of the way it prints) and difficult to read through if you're in a hurry. They did not have the vehicle that I had reserved and said that they were upgrading me to better vehicle. I should have asked more questions, but I ultimately paid $274 more for the "upgrade" than I was expecting. I complained after noticing it after my trip, and they did knock off $111 for "my misunderstanding". Not once did I see anything on the screen that said "upgrade" or "upgrade charge." so, my advice is to decline any upgrade they suggest because they are not being kind or helpful, they are being subtle in getting more $ out of you. So, please learn from "my misunderstanding" and don't make the same mistake.

Visited June 2014