“Sketchy area, it's not worth saving money”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #288 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel through a website as it was in the cheaper side and looked half decent in the pictures. When we pulled up to the hotel we felt like the area was way too shady to stay overnight. Without looking at the rooms, we cancelled our stay--we still had to pay for the night since they only let you cancel 24 hours in advance.
Do not stay here

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank valerieewoodman
There are newer reviews for Americas Best Value Inn

Reviewed 1 March 2013

I definitely do not recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

We booked this hotel at the last minute because we arrived in LA and our original booked hotel had a water problem. We booked on line and on arrival payed in full for 1 week. We liked the cheap price and that it had a parking lot. It was also in the Downtown area which we wanted to be close for due to some meetings.

The area is not the best, but the good thing is that the hotel is completely enclosed, so you felt a bit secure - until you get a filthy room and get verbally abused by the staff...then you don't feel so secure.

We were in for the worst hotel experience of our lives. You can check my profile, I've traveled quite a bit and have stayed in plenty of budget hotels.

The first night our room was horrible! When we arrived we didn't noticed how dirty it was until after we came back from dinner. The room smelled clean because apparently they spray it. but when you look closely it's not clean at all. The shower curtain had brown stains that looked like dried up blood. The shower had black mildew stains between every tile on the wall and there was gooey stuff on the walls too. It was disgusting. I wanted to shower with shoes on and not touch anything. The water pressure sucked. The sink had hair, there were hairs on the floor. The towels were paper thin and small. A regular sized person can't wrap a towel around them completely.
The comforter on the bed was full of stains and all types of hairs, so we threw it on the floor and just used a thin sheet and blanket. The heater either blew really hot air on high. When we lowered it, it would turn off and the room was pretty cold. During our time there the weather would drop to the 40's so it did get a bit chilly.

Our first night we could hear the guy next door snoring as if he was in the room with us and then there was a group of guys to the other side partying till 1AM talking loud in their room and out side our door. You can hear everything that is going on. Prior to going to bed I went to the soda machine on the first floor and could smell marijuana in the air.

The next day we complained about how dirty the room was to a lady. She arranged for us to be changed to another room. This room was a cleaner then the first, but still wasn't really clean. Stain on the walls, light switches, comforter didn't look too convincing. We thought we could manage. However, we froze that night. The blanket on the bed isn't wide enough. It seemed it was apparently for a smaller bed and the heater, well if it was on high it was a lot of hot air blowing in your face and if it was on low it really didn't work at all.

The next day we asked the guy at the front desk for an extra blanket. He started losing his patient. It apparently bothered him that we asked for an extra blanket. In a loud an aggressive voice he said this is our procedure "2 people, 1 bed, 1 blanket...and you have a heater". He didn't want to give us another blanket and lost his temper because we asked. He basically was jumping up and down and waiving his arms in the air. We tried to explain the blanket wasn't big enough and we were cold. He eventually caved in but at this point we had it.

We said, tomorrow we will be checking out as an emergency came up. This made him livid. He said it is too much of a short notice. We need to deduct 1 night penalty for checking out early. Since he looked like he was getting more and more upset, we said OK and went on our way to our room and on our way out we noticed the sign near the front office saying "No Drugs, No Prostitution" - apparently there is a problem there.

We did see some shady type of characters in the morning and late at night which made us wonder. We had also smelled marijuana again that day.

We decided to make other hotel reservations and called him about 15 minutes after the whole blanket scenario. We said, ok since it is a short notice we will stay tonight and the following night so that we don't have a penalty. OMG he started screaming so loud that my friend who was on the other side of the room heard him through the phone. He said you aren't getting a refund. It doesn't matter when you leave. I said sir, you just explained that it was a short notice and because of that you would take a 1 night penalty, so now we are giving you more of a notice. Well he kept on screaming, said "don't you give me a lesson" and talking to me very aggressively. It was scary. To me he was a male chauvinist pig. How dare he get so aggressive and scream and yell at 2 ladies. As it is we slept every night with a chair barricading the door to the room since we were scared someone was going to break in.

I told him I didn't appreciate the way he was talking to me and he was making me feel very uncomfortable. he needed to calm down and if he kept on I was going to call the police. He really frightened us.

That night like at 3AM some lady was walking up and down screaming at some guy in front of our door and at 6AM some guy started screaming obscenities.

We packed are stuff and left that morning. We didn't argue about the money. I've reported it to my credit card company and hope to get the charges for the nights we didn't stay removed.

Cleanliness and safety are my biggest concerns when staying in hotels. This hotel doesn't offer either.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel. Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank ElsiMM
Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

They gave us a dirty unclean room with broken deadbolt and cracked bathroom tile floor. Dirty and somewhat working refrigerator, A/C that you can see dust and stuff packed in the filter, windows that are dirty. Torn up bedsheets and rock hard beds. Mold in shower and bedbugs in bed are waiting for you. Oh and lets mot forget the damp and sticky carpet. Amenities? What amenity? Free coffe only at 7am and 9am. East Indian owner are stinking up the place pun intended.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank a17d12i
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The room we got was decently clean but was permeated by the smell of cheap air freshener that eventually got into our clothes as well.

Linens were mostly clean; there were stains on one of the pillow covers we got.

We had booked a 2-queen room for leisure through an employer's discounted rate (allowed for leisure travel), and we called ahead to verify that we were really getting a 2-queen room for 4 adults. Upon arrival we were told that there was an additional charge of $10/night per person, contrary to what was explained to us on the phone. The front desk guy was unrelenting about this, and denied any knowledge of the phone conversation we had had two days before.

If this hotel wasn't located very close to where we were attending a 3-day event, we probably would not have stayed here.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank anoopi
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I am absolutely repulsed by place. The worst part.. the management. This man goes by Patel and does not care about the customers or accommodating their needs. He is dismissive and rude and attempted to charge us for fees that came from nowhere. DO NOT even put yourself in this nightmare of a situation. Dirty AND a bad attitude?? It's a no brainer! Save yourself the headache.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Rbeanz
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This hotel near LAX is surrounded by brothels, drug dealers and gangs. I did not feel safe. I arrived late, exhausted. The sound of sirens and screams was unrelenting. I was unable to get the heat/cooling system to work. Finally at 3 a.m. I called the front desk and after 15 minutes he was able to get it on .... briefly. I woke up again at 4 a.m. it was off. Finally I got out of bed at 5, showered and checked out at 6. The front desk clerk would not refund my money because he said I should have transferred to a new room. Also, the room came with two - dirty - bath towels. No washcloth or hand towel.

Room Tip: NEVER stay here.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank LaLunaStella
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The area is rough ain't going to lie..the convention center and staples center are 2 mins down the road so that a plus. The hotels is kinda a little fortress from the outside elements which helps you feel a little safer... room was on the second floor had a cigarette burn in the curtain and blanket. Room smelled of cigarettes a lot. Toilet had a butt in it and seat wasn't cleaned very well...but overall it wasn't the worst hotel I've stayed in...bed was average no bugs. Staff polite and prompt.

• Stayed: March 2012