“Mostly Lived Up to Advance Billing”
Review of Cooks County

Cooks County
Ranked #954 of 10,140 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: On all the hot new restaurant lists in LA. Desparately want to review this place to help people who are headed there. Locivore, contemporary California.
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Had interesting wine and food lunch this week with bunch of wine friends at Cooks County-my first time here. Five courses over a span of 3 hours -- paired with 9 bottles of wine, one bubbly and 8 high end CaliCabs. The courses were appropriately conceived for our wines, and with one notable exception, the food was delicious: Chicken liver crostini reminded me of my grandmother's chopped chicken livers-- rich and savory. Mexican bay scallops with smokey bacon & red wine butter was a pleasing combination-I love smokey bacon,Fennel sausage orecchiette with pecorino very tasty. Next course was a bummer-entitled grass fed beef rib eye-the meat was tougher than cactus, definitely lacking the flavor and texture of great rib eye. None of us liked it, and unfortunately management didn't seem to care-made no effort to replace the dish,or remove it from our bill. Very unclassy. The final cowgirl creamery course was nice. Summarizing--1 out 5 courses stunk. Other courses were very tasty. Service was very attentive. I vowed to try again-next time for dinner some time soon.

1  Thank aresverde
There are newer reviews for Cooks County

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Went in the middle of the week. Later dinner at 8:30 p.m. No reservation needed.

Menu looked great and wasn't too expensive. Had the special, which was one price for a salad, the meal and dinner for an all-inclusive price.

Salad was fantastic and the wine menu was varied. Chef came out and chatted with some diners, including us, soliciting feedback on the special.

Wasn't too loud but the venue is not large. If not for the late dinner on a weekday night, we might not have gotten in without a reservation. It was still fairly crowded at the time we got there.

I would go back and I would recommend this place.

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Waited until last night of the holiday to visit Cooks County. Wish we'd gone earlier. Food and service fantastic. Fish Soup was best I'd ever tasted. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I went to Cooks County upon a recommendation for a farm to table restaurant. The menu looked good on paper and I ordered three of the 5 recommended dishes. Two of the three dishes lacked any flavor. The mango salad with shrimp was the best dish I ordered and had the right combination of sweetness with the hint of mint. The fig and ricotta crostini had no flavor but should have had sweetness from the figs - this was a bid disappointment. The salmon entrée was terribly under cooked and again had no flavor. As my only meal during my quick business trip to LA I was quite disappointed.

1  Thank Familytravelmaven
Reviewed 25 June 2013

What a cute restaurant. Very friendly, accommodating service. Delicious food with a varied menu. We had a delightful lunch here.