“Heart of the Action”

Ranked #148 of 10,202 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Child-friendly, View
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Venice
Reviewed 8 May 2014

A very popular, centrally located cafe right on the boardwalk. Tables under the awning give good views of the passing parade, stalls and park. Inside, a dimly lit bar draws drinkers and those wanting to watch sport on TV. A good variety of American and Mexican favourites on the menu. Car parking in the area is at a premium but we discovered a local bank car park was unattended after 2pm.

1  Thank Liz S

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I thought due to the location the food would be mediocre but it was excellent - the cobb salad was fabulous and so was the spinach/artichoke dip. Wish I had a cocktail - it was so fun to watch "the show". Service was very good. I would definitely eat here again. On the way to the restroom, the bar seemed like alot of fun too.

1  Thank pegomh
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We were lucky enough to get a table right on the sidewalk with the views across to the beach to watch the sunset, after a leisurely meal and a few cocktails. There was certainly lots of people watching to be had! The only small issue was the buskers playing right opposite the cafe, which was a little loud but on the whole the music was nice. They did walk past the cafe every half hour though, asking for 'donations' which became a little tiresome.

Inside was very very busy with lots of tv screens and more of a sports bar feel to it, outside was lovely and chilled though and we had a nice leisurely meal and a few very tasty cocktails - the jalepeno margarita is HOT by the way! lol

The service was good and the food was very good - I had the chicken noodle salad which was the size of a football! And it took me (with help from my boyfriend) over an hour to eat! I wasn't going to leave any though as it was sooo tasty :-) The strawberry margaritas were sweet and very tasty and the $9 mojito, although pricier than other cocktails on the menu, was worth it as was one of the best mojitos I have ever had.

1  Thank Laura T
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This cafe has a large patio with the best people watching. The food is good and service was very good. The history of the place is pretty cool and they have a small bookstore connected to the restaurant that adds to the uniqueness of the place. They also bring the stuff for you to make your own mimosa's. We only had breakfast there and it is worth going.

1  Thank Shelly M
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I used google to find a nice place to have a few drinks, eat some food, and watch the Sweet 16 basketball games. When my friend and I arrived to the Sidewalk Cafe we chose a seat at the bar where we could get a good view of the Badger game. We waited for the bartender to ask us what we would like to drink for about 10 minutes while she stood in front of us and talked to her friend. We were two feet away from her and in clear view. I waved my hand at her signaling that i wanted service and finally got to order our drinks and appetizers. We finished our food and drinks and some more of our friends joined us at the bar. The bartender took our finished drinks and didnt ask us if we wanted another. She walked away and was gone for some time. When she finally came around again I ordered three of us another beverage and a round of shots. About 15 minutes had gone by and she finally served us the drinks but no shots. Another 10 minutes had past and she brought the shots. She never apologized for the lapse in time she just sat the shots down and walked away. We noticed the shots were all of the same color; we had ordered two shots of patron and one of Jose Cuervo, but didnt complain. We asked for the bill and when we recieved it she had charged us for the Patron. I polietly bought to her attention that the shots she served us were Jose Cuervo and not Patron. Instead of apologizing she started arguing with me about what she served us. She told me that we could go look at the cameras. I then asked to speak with a manager. Another 15 minutes had past and a man came out and asked us what our problem was. I explained the situation and he showed no care to my frusteration. He then began arguing with me and also mentioned that we could go look at the cameras. I expressed how displeased we were through our whole experience of bad service and he then asked where I was from and belittled my group. I travel about every 3 months and I had never been treated so poorly by people in the service industry. The man had also told me that the girl serving us was his best bartender. Its pretty unfortunate for them to have such terrible employees. The level of disrespect by the manager and the bartender was enough for me. They sneered and snickered as my friends and I left the cafe. I wasnt looking for special treatment a simple apology would have suficed. Instead they treated us like scum because we werent from around the area. I will never step foot in that cafe upon traveling again,

2  Thank mgunde