“The Echo Park El Comprade”
Review of El Compadre

El Compadre
Reserve with OpenTable
El Compadre is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 10,746 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Hollywood
Reviewed 13 May 2014

For some reason the Echo Park restaurant location doesn't come up - so I'm reviewing it here. Same owners, menu, etc. What a fabulous restaurant. There was live mariachi music after 8 pm. The chips and salsa are unbeatable. The best margarita EVER. Did I mention it was flaming? Awesome. We were a party of 4, and everybody's food was super. Nice, friendly and attentive waitstaff too. I highly recommend - don't miss!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I have driven past this restaurant for years. Many years. It looks like a place that I would love.
We were staying down the street at The Roosevelt so I figured that I would walk over and give it the old college try.
I walked in and grabbed a table.
The music playing overhead was just up my alley. A bit too loud by about 20%, but whatever.
The biggest problem is that there was a TV in the bar area blaring and muddling everything up. Distracting.
I ordered an iced tea and my stand by, one chicken taco and one cheese enchilada, rice and beans.
My iced tea wasn't great. I didn't feel as if it was fresh brewed. Tasted like Gold Peak or something along those lines.
Chips and salsa were very good. Salsa was pretty spicy.
Chicken taco was average, enchilada was a bit better. Enchilada sauce was spicy as well.
Rice and beans were good, not world class.
All in all an average Mexican meal.
The biggest upside was that I got to see one of my friends as he was eating there as well. Small world.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

This was recommended to us by the guys behind the front desk at our hotel which was right next door. The food was great - I had the acupulco enchiladas (crab and shrimp) massive portions packed with flavour. They also bring you chips and salsa which was fabulous. Coming from England it was nice to be served hot salsa! The margaritas were absolutely delicious (it was my first time trying one). The atmosphere is great and the service was on point, they filled our drinks and chips a number of times. All around a great Mexican restaurant!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I actually live down the street from El Compadre and never visited until March 2014. Always crowded so I assumed it must be a great restaurant. One night I decided to treat my friend who is Mexican-American to a good mexican meal. Problem was- the meal wasn't very good. I am going to get a lot of flack for this because people seem to LOVE this place but it's not a good destination if you are looking for good food. Kind of like another Mexican restaurant on Beverly Blvd...it's a place to drink and eat because you are drinking. The guacamole was probably the worst I have ever had in a restaurant. No matter how much salt we added...still no flavor. The chips were good, as was the salsa. The fajitas were a little shy of gross for lack of better word. Just a mesh of stuff (including mushrooms???) on a plate (no fajita sizzling plate). My friend got a beef dish in roja sauce with almost NO beef anywhere to be found. It's a shame that many places in Los Angeles get away with being destinations and then stick you with bad food before you know it. This felt like a bad theme restaurant at Disney park or something similar.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

This place looks a little scary from the outside - but on the inside - the atmosphere is amazing. Some nights they have a band playing table side. It is dark and romantic-ish or good for a private conversation.

They give you chips and homemade salsa a soon as you sit down - which I LOVE!

Things I recommend: