“Not the Morel's (Upstairs) That It Used To Be!!!”
Review of Morels

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I'll preface this review by saying that if you've never eaten in the upstairs restaurant before, then this place can be okay for you.

I went there last night for a special occasion and wow! Talk about disappointment. Seems that there are new owners, new management and a new chef. Was expecting the ambience, service and menu that I came to know and enjoy about this place only to find out that as of a couple of months ago, everything is different. If you've eaten here before, you know that the upstairs restaurant was special and distinct than the one at ground level. Now the two are one in the same. Would you believe brown paper on top of the linen table cloths!!! Gone, too, is the Caesar Salad made at your table!!!

This place morphed into a not at all special place, except for high prices. The service was fine, loved Fabien. Very attentive and the French accent gave him added charm. But as I am saying, those of you who had been here before and enjoyed the upstairs steakhouse need to fine another place. Steak menu is very limited and $$$$ for the ambience.

Now for the good news...the chef told us that the lamb osso bucco was added to the menu the night before we ate there, and it was delicious and a generous portion. Also added was some kind of duck, which my companion ordered. He ordered it medium but it came to the table very rare and had to be sent back for further cooking. A disappointment. He said it was good, though a little chewy. They also added matzo ball soup, which was full of flavor and another surprise or two.

Now we have to find a new special spot, because this one is blemished. Sorry Morel's. Now you have become some restaurant that I used to know.

1  Thank John B
There are newer reviews for Morels

Reviewed 28 June 2012

The steak and frite was pretty good. French fries at a French restaurant is usually and also in this case just a bit better than usual.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

A bug crawled out of my salad last night - but the worst part is that the manager wasn't surprised.

And - he offered nothing to compensate for the "bug salad".

Overall, the food was mediocre (we had the bouillabaisse, mussels and um...salad). The service was friendly enough.

We tried two red wines (a Pinot Noir & a Grenache) off the menu (by the glass) - neither was remarkable.

Our bill came out to around $75.

There are a lot of dining choices at The Grove - we certainly won't be going back to Morels.

Reviewed 28 September 2011

This is a French type bistro, in the upscale Grove shopping mall (that is attached to the farmers Market) & is a cheese lovers paradise & normally one of my first picks for dinning. Sadly, we walked away hungry and feeling robbed after our last meal here. I ordered then sent back my crepe, which I thought would be good since it's a French bistro right? Wrong. It was tasteless and after a couple of bites I handed it back to the waiter. My husbands fish and chips tasted "off" but our salad course was good. So, kudos to whoever was on the veg station last Saturday at around 3:30pm! Our waiter was a little slow, but very apologetic. The manager however mainly hung around the pretty hostess and female staff I noticed, versus asking guests "how is your meal" & ignored his clientele. I tried in vein to make eye contact with him, so that I could tell him that the cook was making food that is mostly inedible (at least for paying clientele) but he ignored me. So, we left $55. lighter & unsatisfied & feeling like our nice meal out was a total waste of time & $$$$. Honestly, my husband and I saw (& commented on) the tons of staff coming in and out of the place and surely with all the help its paying for, it could have pleased 2 hungry diners. A revived menu, managerial staff (& cooks who taste what they produce) , a serious sprucing up of (it's patched up looking ceiling & walls crying out for fresh paint) & interiors, will hopefully save Morels!

1  Thank married&inlove
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Great location. Went for lunch and sat indoors. We were seated and abandoned by the wait person who seemed to be on another planet. After a considerable time I asked the barman whether it was possible to get a drink and he arranged for another waiter to take our drinks order. The original wait person returned and took our food orders and then disappeared. Somebody else brought the meals after we asked where they were. Then the original wait person, who had been nowhere in sight, returned some time later and asked if everything was all right! Nice food, bad service.