“Nice location, decent food, friendly staff”
Review of Figtree's Cafe

Figtree's Cafe
Ranked #130 of 10,254 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: American, Healthy
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Venice
Reviewed 26 July 2014

we went to the figtree with a couple families for breakfast. They accommodated the eight of us in a friendly way, and from ages 4 - 50 we all found good things to eat. The food is tasty and well made, though nothing amazing. But the experience of sitting right by the beach with a nice cup of coffee and the fun Venice scene makes the experience worth a trip.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed in Venice beach the first week of July. As an avid TA user, I did my research and saw that Figtree is favored in the area. It was also convenient that we were staying literally right next door and could stumble out of bed, throw on shorts, a tee and flip flops and go down to eat in mere minutes. It was like I went downstairs and mom made me breakfast and coffee while a monotone beach entertainer sits on the boardwalk and sings songs to me that I may or may not want to listen to. It's charming but kind of annoying at the same time, depending on how long you sit there.
Figtree is a no frills beach cafe situated right on the boardwalk, great for people watching. They have some inside tables and TV's to watch sports, outdoor shaded tables and some that are in the sun. If you sit outside, you can hear the guitar player that sits on the boardwalk right in front of the cafe. Unfortunately, he's rather monotone but it's just part of the beach ambiance. The servers are polite and fast moving. This place always seems to be pretty busy but we didn't ever have to wait for a table.
I like that they have what I like to call the "fishbowl" coffee. I like my mocha served in a very large cup. Sometimes a mere 8oz just won't cut it. I saw the picture of the soufflé pancake someone posted and had to try it. It's intimidating looking but don't worry, it's mostly air. They put lots of fruit on top and sprinkle with powdered sugar. It's good but I almost fell out of my chair when I tried their "regular" pancakes the next day. My husband ordered pancakes with blueberries and banana cooked into them. Holy cow, those pancakes are so good! I had already had my fishbowl coffee, a very large bagel with cream cheese and a large and wonderfully diverse fruit plate but I couldn't stop eating the rest of the pancakes my husband couldn't finish. The fruit plate was not your standard. It is awesome for fruit lovers. I got a healthy serving of pear slices, apple slices, blueberries, strawberries, banana and melon slices and pineapple. In a large bowl. The last day I ate there, I had the French toast. It was not dry at all, very thick and moist. It was topped with banana and raisins. I think they make their own syrup, too. It's very good. Every morning we ate at Figtree was pleasant. Great weather, great food, great location.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stopped here for lunch while walking around Venice beach. We sat outside and had a great view of the beach. The menu offers a good variety of options to satisfy your taste buds! The nachos and fresh squeezed lemonade were good and the brownie sundae satisfied a sweet craving! The only strange part about this restaurant was the women's restroom. It was pretty filthy and there's a pole located right in front of the toilet which makes it impossible to use. My boyfriend used the men's restroom and said it was fine. Other than that, it's a nice beachside restaurant.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

It was the morning after the earthquake. My first one. I needed a coffee. The Fig Tree was the only place open, but it is welcoming and has great views, especially of the early morning trucks combing the sand on the beach. Came back the next day and the coffee was different. My colleague was really put out. I didn't mind, but coffee perfectionists/aficionados take note. Free wifi. Place needs a lick of paint, but I can't think of many other places I'd rather be for a morning coffee, with that spectacular view and location.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We ate every breakfast at Venice Beach's beachfront, making it in before 10 a.m., and getting the half price deal! Wonderful omelets! Great turkey bacon! Fresh juices! Great coffee! What else do you need? It's always fun people watching as well, with street musicians, dogs, and the many colorful folk of Venice walking by.