“First visit, not the last”

El Cholo Restaurant
Ranked #144 of 10,749 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This place is a block and a half away from Staples Center in downtown LA. Being and LA Kings season seat holder, I can't believe I've never been here before, and the place has been there since the late 20's. Chips and salsa were good. we all enjoyed our meals. The menu needs a little explaining from the server. Also, the menu is not that large, but what they do serve is very good. Limited selection of tequila, but what they did have was very good quality. Now that I know about this place, I will definitely be coming back, and not just during hockey season.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

On Mother's Day felt like having some Mexican food. My girlfriend called them around 6:30 and asked if there was any wait, as usually on holidays there is, and we were prepared to make a reservation. The girl who answered said their was none, which was surprising, but since we live a few blocks away we just decided to walk over. We got there less than 10 minutes after we called and the place was packed. There was probably 20-30 people waiting and when we asked for a table, the prissy white guy taking reservations said 30 minutes. We told him that we had just called 10 minutes ago and were told there was no wait. He said "oh you spoke to me and there wasn't. It got busy". Firstly, we spoke to a young girl not a guy and secondly there is no need to be rude to customers. Either their staff is incompetent and doesn't recognize what "is there a wait" is, or they simply are liars and will say whatever it takes to get you in the door.

I like the food here, but the quality has gone down over the years. Even the bowls of salsa they give you have been reduced in size. I would gladly pay $1 extra for a normal sized bowl of salsa not a tiny cup that is more appropriate for soy sauce or ketchup.

Were this not a few blocks away I would have gladly gone to the location Downtown or in Pasadena. They are cleaner, with fresher and better quality food. The service there is also superior. We decided instead to go somewhere else instead.

El Cholo does not deserve to be a 2 star restaurant, but due to their crappy employees, it is.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was told about this place some years ago, so this was our first time back in LA for some 5 years, and we didn't want to miss it. So glad we made it. The food was just like mother used to make, if I were Mexican. It really was good, and not expensive. The Margaritas were the best we had had in a long while, can't wait to go back. Well recommended.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Yes, my mother was Mexican. This is California Mexican food, very delicious! Be prepared for a long wait on a Friday or Saturday night. I park on the street now, as the valet tried to rip me off the last time I used it, but that was about 7 years ago. (I gave the attendant a $20; he gave me change for a $10. I had to make a big stink to get the rest of my money.) Other than that, great place. I still go quite often.

1  Thank Margaret R
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is a really great Mexican restaurant. We were here this week and had a round of margaritas with some outstanding Mexican cuisine. I confess, we are Canadian but I think it makes us MORE appreciative of good Mexican food when we find it. This isn`t a place that fills your place with greasy refried beans and rice - everything is quality from the enchiladas to the rellenos. And our wait staff was the happiest and friendliest person to serve us on our 10 day vacation! We`ll be back on our next trip to LA!

PS, if you can, make reservations