“Excellent Experience”

Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Cross street: between Beverly Bl. & First St.
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We have eaten at Amalfi several times and every time have experienced great food and wonderfully attentive service. The food selection is varied and the wine selection is most adequate.

1  Thank RussJ894

Reviewed 1 May 2013

My wife and I went here on her expense account, so we spent more than we normally would -- $115 incl. tip. Normally we are in the $40 range. Even with additional items, the restaurant is a tad more expensive than we are used to, but the food and service are better than usual too. I also like the free street parking, though we went on a Tuesday, when the restaurant and immediate neighborhood on La Brea were largely empty.

Even with all the empty tables, the waitress placed us right next to a couple of effeminate movie-studio dudes who talked too loudly. But they had inside info on Paul Simon and Tom Cruise (separately), so we listened intently. Normally, obviously, we prefer a silent environment.

We began with a glass each of Mangria, the low-end but costly tipple invented by Amalfi co-owner Adam Carolla. He's been pushing this stuff for ages on his podcast, so it was good to taste the darned brew finally. And now that I have, I wish I had ordered a case. This is great stuff. Goes down easy, probably way too easy.

Let me just say, I love bread. I could live on it, so the bread basket was welcome. Alas, it was all gone by the time the prosciutto arrived, so we got another round - though the bread slices were smaller. I also did not care for the way the prosciutto was dumped at the corner of the table by the busboy. Nor was I impressed when he brought the mains and asked who was eating what. Our friendly waiter should have been serving the food, right?

Anyway, I had the $23 salmon + a side of mac and cheese, and my wife had a special - not sure what it was. We loved them, and they were hot. So often, food is delivered lukewarm. You can also order mac and cheese as a main, and it comes with extra cheese, I forget which type, but it was very tempting. The Salmon was served on a rissotto.

Dessert - which we normally skip - was a shared $8 bowl of peach and berry cobbler - which I could also eat all day. And my wife had an espresso - which I consider to be the biggest ripoff on the planet, no matter where you are. But it was expense account, so who cares?

As I write this 12 hours later, I am still quite full. So I definitely recommend. You can do this a little more cheaply and simply if you wish. The waiter was very amiable, and the subtle blues music on the PA was great. Better than hearing Sinatra and Bennett and other faux Italian crooners.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

We are always surprised that Amalfi isn't full all the time. They have very good Italian food (and, since we spend several months a year in Italy, we should know), very attractive decor, good Happy Hour (esp. the small plates, e.g. Meatball slider, fish & chips), good bar atmosphere (Clarke is a terrific bartender). Everyone we take here raves about it (from 30-somethings on up).

Reviewed 5 February 2013

The food and service were good, but it wasn't anything to write home about. The restaurant was extremely dark to the point where people used their iPhone flashlight app just to read the menu. It just seemed strange... Maybe a better place for a romantic dinner than night out with friends.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

I hesitate to write a review, for fear of exposing my lovely Italian restaurant to a swarm of people. However, to not disclose Amalfi to Trip Advisor readers seeking a truly wonderful gem of an italian restaurant, is not proper. It is like prying the secret from my soul. We have visited Amalfi countless times during our trips to LA over the last 4 years. Each and every time our entire party walked away with big grins on our collective, discerning faces. Yes, we have been to the infinite number of famous Italian restaurants in Los Angles. You know them so I will not list them. Each of them had obnoxious prices for ok food, served by higher than thou staff. Not true about Amalfi. It is a quiet place staffed by servers who know their menu and have manners. The food is fabulous, having eaten most of the menu offerings during our numerous visits. Our groups have varied in uncompromising, individual demands and have always completed our dinners with vows to return. There is no better recommendation than that. Return we do , indeed.