“I could eat here every night”
Review of Amalfi Restaurant and Bar - CLOSED

Amalfi Restaurant and Bar
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Cross street: between Beverly Bl. & First St.
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I wish I lived closer to this fabulous Italian Restaurant because I would be a frequent customer. We had an after theatre dinner here when in town for a friend's show. It so surpasses the chain Italian restaurants. My companion had the Chicken Parmigiana, which is his yardstick for measuring all Italian food, and approved. I had the Baby Spinach Salad and Mushroom Risotto and just had to sample the Tiramisu. The bottle of Piccini wine from Toscana was excellent.

The atmosphere was charming and felt like we were actually in Italy, if only our waiter had spoken Italian. They had a painting class going on in the back and apparently they have other regular events here. I really need to find another reason to travel to LA just for this wonderful dining experience. I'm surprised there aren't more reviews here.

1  Thank 362juliannar

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We have eaten at Amalfi several times and every time have experienced great food and wonderfully attentive service. The food selection is varied and the wine selection is most adequate.

1  Thank RussJ894
Reviewed 1 May 2013

My wife and I went here on her expense account, so we spent more than we normally would -- $115 incl. tip. Normally we are in the $40 range. Even with additional items, the restaurant is a tad more expensive than we are used to, but the food and service are better than usual too. I also like the free street parking, though we went on a Tuesday, when the restaurant and immediate neighborhood on La Brea were largely empty.

Even with all the empty tables, the waitress placed us right next to a couple of effeminate movie-studio dudes who talked too loudly. But they had inside info on Paul Simon and Tom Cruise (separately), so we listened intently. Normally, obviously, we prefer a silent environment.

We began with a glass each of Mangria, the low-end but costly tipple invented by Amalfi co-owner Adam Carolla. He's been pushing this stuff for ages on his podcast, so it was good to taste the darned brew finally. And now that I have, I wish I had ordered a case. This is great stuff. Goes down easy, probably way too easy.

Let me just say, I love bread. I could live on it, so the bread basket was welcome. Alas, it was all gone by the time the prosciutto arrived, so we got another round - though the bread slices were smaller. I also did not care for the way the prosciutto was dumped at the corner of the table by the busboy. Nor was I impressed when he brought the mains and asked who was eating what. Our friendly waiter should have been serving the food, right?

Anyway, I had the $23 salmon + a side of mac and cheese, and my wife had a special - not sure what it was. We loved them, and they were hot. So often, food is delivered lukewarm. You can also order mac and cheese as a main, and it comes with extra cheese, I forget which type, but it was very tempting. The Salmon was served on a rissotto.

Dessert - which we normally skip - was a shared $8 bowl of peach and berry cobbler - which I could also eat all day. And my wife had an espresso - which I consider to be the biggest ripoff on the planet, no matter where you are. But it was expense account, so who cares?

As I write this 12 hours later, I am still quite full. So I definitely recommend. You can do this a little more cheaply and simply if you wish. The waiter was very amiable, and the subtle blues music on the PA was great. Better than hearing Sinatra and Bennett and other faux Italian crooners.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

We are always surprised that Amalfi isn't full all the time. They have very good Italian food (and, since we spend several months a year in Italy, we should know), very attractive decor, good Happy Hour (esp. the small plates, e.g. Meatball slider, fish & chips), good bar atmosphere (Clarke is a terrific bartender). Everyone we take here raves about it (from 30-somethings on up).

Reviewed 5 February 2013

The food and service were good, but it wasn't anything to write home about. The restaurant was extremely dark to the point where people used their iPhone flashlight app just to read the menu. It just seemed strange... Maybe a better place for a romantic dinner than night out with friends.