“Good Food in Unassuming Spot”

Sakura Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #910 of 10,306 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Price range: US$8 - US$12
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Neighbourhood: Westside
Neighbourhood: Westside
Reviewed 16 July 2014

As we drove-up, my teenagers were put-off by the row of closed stores that surround the Sakura Sushi Restaurant; calling the area "sketchy." However, my wife and I were encouraged by the busy atmosphere inside the restaurant. We were rewarded with delicious noodle soup and sushi. The waitresses were friendly and hardworking. The atmosphere inside is simple. Try this restaurant, they deserve your business and you will be rewarded.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Not a typical Japanese restaurant, this one is for skewers. The selection is good but the preparation is nothing special. The price is somewhat higher than the quality can justify. I did like the sauce which was given with the veggie sticks. The atmosphere can use improvement, it feels a little congested. Will visit again only if I really feel hankering for skewers, I am mainly a sushi person. Can't give very high ranking but would suggest you to try it yourself and make up your own mind.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

This is a great "hole in the wall" Sushi Spot that has been around for many years. The Sushi is always fresh and I've never complained. If you're coming in on a Thursday - Sunday, prepare to wait anywhere from 15 - 40 mins but the food is worth it.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

My family has been eating at Sakura since the 70's and it doesn't get more traditional than this. It tastes just like the Japanese food my grandmother cooks at home and by the way, this is where she likes to go when doesn't want to cook. :)

Personally, I prefer more of the authentic cooked dishes that you can't find in the "Americanized" Japanese restaurants. Their sukiyaki is excellent as well as their udon/soba soups. All the other traditional dishes, chicken teriyaki (with 'sauce' and not that syrup crap you find at other places), tonkatsu/katsudon, etc.

It's one of the few, if not the only, Japanese restaurant in LA where you can get saba-shioyaki. Simply put, it's salted mackerel and happens to be my favorite dish. I don't normally order sushi/sashimi here but I have ordered hamachi sashimi in the past and it was very fresh.

Oh, and my other favorite dish I will sometimes get with my saba-shioyaki: oyako donburi! Which is basically chicken/vegetables/eggs on top of steamed gohan (rice).

They don't take any reservations and can get pretty crowded on weekends so expect to wait a bit!

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stopped by for lunch solo on a whim and was absolutely surprised. It was crowded but my server was on point with ordering, questions about the sushi, refilling my water, etc. The prices were extremely reasonable! Make sure to try the bluefin tuna if it's available, it's delicious. The sushi chefs were amusing and entertaining.