“Best Opera House!”

and up
6-Hour Los Angeles City Tour
Ranked #123 of 554 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: This spectacular locale hosts year-round entertainment.
San Luis Obispo, CA
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Best Opera House!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is teh best opera house I've been to and that includes the San Francisco Opera House and the English National Opera in London.
The location is the best part. It's right off of HWY 101 which is great! Parking is easy to figure out. The food options outside is great, plenty of legroom, restrooms on each level, etc.

I saw "Thais" with Placido Domingo on June 1, 2014 and he was wonderful! Nino Machaidze is horrific. I have never heard such an annoying voice in my life. It's like "someone please catch that stray cat!". I almost always like the female soprano but not this time. She has no warmth and no character in her voice. She has a long way to go. But in spite of her, I still enjoyed the Opera. I plan on seeing "La Traviata" in September even though Nino Machaidze is in that also. I'll have to bring ear plugs for her parts.

Visited June 2014

Los Angeles, California
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 137 helpful votes
“Fabulous Venue”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This is one of the most beautiful venues in Los Angeles. The sound is wonderful and there is no bad seat in the house. We've gone for operas and ballets and have enjoyed every performance we've seen.

Visited December 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Great opera”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We've been twice in the past couple years and enjoyed both performances (Simon Boccanegra and Madame Butterfly) immensely. Unfortunately, by the time we fly in and find a hotel (even at Jerry's) we only feel like we can afford the cheap seats. The chairs are a little narrow up there in opera glass country. Might have to open the wallet a little next time. Check if there is a pre-show lecture - worth the time and you might get closer parking in the garage. Parking is a good deal for LA.

Visited April 2013
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Huge stage ”
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Love this place. Huge stage and huge entrance. Nice fountain in the front. Everyone was nicely dressed it was a nice night! I am looking for more plays so we can go again.

Ocean Ridge, Florida
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“LA Opera's Carmen - WOW”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I cannot visit L.A. without going downtown to attend LA Opera at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. This gorgeous music center, with it's fountains; chandeliers; Tony Duquette design, is just gorgeous. LA Opera's "Carmen", with top tenor Tiago Arancam was spectacular; not an empty seat in the entire hall.....we had front row seats right behind the conductor, which allowed us the MOST fantastic views of this gorgeous Bizet masterpiece, as well as seeing the intensity on each stars face AND watch the symphony right below, in front of us. It was a divine evening - made even more divine by strolling through the Music Center Plaza on a perfect Friday night. Being friends with Tony Duquette's protege' allowed me to introduce my friend to this incredible venue;and tell her the history of the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. If you are visiting the L.A. area, do contact the opera and see this archetectural wonder (which is as relevant today as when it was designed nearly 50 years ago....) and enjoy the BEST opera company in the US, headed by none other than Placido Domingo!!!

Visited October 2013