“Not My Best Visit at This San Pedro Neighborhood Place” 3 of 5 bubbles

Rex's Cafe
Ranked #195 of 9,849 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Harbor
San Pedro, CA
“Not My Best Visit at This San Pedro Neighborhood Place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I have not been here in a couple of years. Not sure why as it is not far from my house. This was a good experience, with a couple of exceptions.

Service was exceptional, as always. I ordered the ham and eggs. They have a fantastic bone-in individual ham slice that is perfect for breakfast. I asked for eggs scrambled extra easy. They were served scrambled almost hard. Hash browns were very poor. They were dry, hard, and spent way too much time sitting on the grill. Not what I would expect from Rex's. Sourdough toast was good but not very "toasted."

I'll have to return again soon to see if my recent experience was an anomaly or now the norm. I hope it is not the latter.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

California
“Cozy, neighborhood diner close to Fort McArthur”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Nice varied selection of typ. breakfast items, well prepared, fresh and tasty. We ordered a veggie omelet, fruit bowl, fresh squeezed orange juice, blueberry whole wheat pancakes, bagel and lots of hot coffee. All very tasty. The only item we didn't care for was the house made muffin. Very sweet for us. We enjoyed it so much we went there twice.

• Visited November 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada - USA
“Not Much At First Glance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

My family and I visited the restaurant on a Saturday at 9 a.m. when there were only four tables of diners. By 9:15 a.m., every table was taken with several waiting outside to be seated. Street parking may be hard to find during busy times.

When we first saw the restaurant, it didn’t look like an appealing place to eat, so we skipped it. I later did a search for good breakfast places in the area, and Rex’s was one of the highest rated. We gave the restaurant a second try, and were pleasantly surprised.

Food is categorized as Traditional American and Mexican. I ordered eggs with a green chile sauce sprinkled with tortilla chips and sliced avocado, along with hash browns. My family ordered meals with eggs, potatoes, bacon and toast.

Service was good, as staff was attentive and helpful despite being busy. We enjoyed our experience at the small “Mom and Pop” type restaurant and would return again.

• Visited September 2013
Hillsdale, New Jersey
“A surprising discovery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We somehow missed the bad early morning traffic and arrived in the area too early for our tourist destination. My husband spotted Rex's Cafe as we were driving around killing time. We thought we would just stop in for coffee and a pastry, muffin or something similar. After circling the block a few times to find parking (the only problem with choosing this cafe), we walked in to an adorable place, full of breakfast diners who seemed quite pleased to be there and whose faces displayed sheer delight in what they were consuming. Did I mention how great it smelled when you walked in---no snack for us! The menu has a distinct south of the border flair to it so the faint of heart might want to "do lunch" here instead of breakfast, but our trio found just the right options to kill time and enjoy a great meal to hold us over while we did our tourist thing afterward. The chorizo scrambled egg dish was flavorful and had just the right amount of zing-- also the sausage scramble...The very cheerful server was helpful in explaining the size of the dishes--mainly the pancakes--and did not try to oversell us If we are ever in the area again, we will try to arrange our schedule for a return visit! (We did not order it but the bowl of fruit selection---freshly cut/sliced fruit--nothing out of a jar or can!)

• Visited September 2013
Sevres. France
“Small place big flavor!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Looking for a restaurant for brunch near our hotel, we found this place. The outside is nothing spectacular, but once inside they make you feel right at home.
We all had a little of everything, pancakes, french toast, eggs in every style and it was all very tasty.
The staff is friendly and sevice fantastic.
Highly, recommend giving Rex's a try, you'll want to go back again, and again.

• Visited July 2013