“Good food and service”
Review of Checkers Downtown

Checkers Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
Checkers Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #587 of 10,251 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: 5th Street and Grand Ave
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We were a group of five and each enjoyed our dinner selection of salmon, fluke and filet mignon. All were excellently prepared and presented, portions were just right. Wine list was decent. Our waiter was attentive and efficient. The restaurant in itself is small but the modern design makes it an ideal place for a quiet dinner. The outside dining area is also nice with a great view of the LA skyline. Overall, it was a very positive experience!

Reviewed 27 July 2013

The restaurant has some of the best food I've ever eaten...he's a master of sauces! Try the 4 course dinner menu...my husband and I shared,although he ordered his own salad as the one on the menus had melon, and it was more than enough food!

1  Thank Susan V
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Staying at the Hilton for business & I was too lazy to go elsewhere. I had a rib steak & it was perfectly cooked. Staff was friendly. A nice non- stress meal. Another couple had 2 young kids & their server was very good with them.

1  Thank imcarthur
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Hidden in the back of the Checkers Hotel on Grand Ave is their nice restaurant. The food was good. We had the chicken salad, fish and chips, a burger and a sandwich. Each was nicely prepared and very good. This is a great place for a quite (almost unheard of in Downtown LA) dinner or lunch. We also had a piece of their chocolate cake with ice cream YUM!! It was refreshing to go where there was no loud music blaring or loads of chatter. it has nice large windows with a small outdoor enclosed seating area. The is a Bar area too just in front. Perfect again for a nice quite dinner or lunch. Now the hotel itself is also a little gem, if you like smaller more intimate hotels. We didn't stay here but it's a Hilton Property and is situated right in the middle of Downtown LA. It's near the bank district, next door to the Library (which is amazing inside!) and there are many other food choices (Bottega Louie’s is down a few blocks) there is a Starbucks kitty corner from the hotel too for those of us who have that addiction! I will definitely go back.

1  Thank PineappleShagette
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I wouldn't normally go here but I had a breakfast meeting. The restaurant is in the back of the hotel--which feels formal and stuffy, perfect for a meeting.

The service, coffee and food were all very good.

I had the healthy breakfast wrap with scrambled egg substitute, zucchini, squash, salsa, and baby spinach. It's in their "eat right" menu and only had 290 calories!