“From Bad To Worse-An AWful Experience”
Review of Checkers Downtown

Checkers Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
Checkers Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #667 of 9,981 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: 5th Street and Grand Ave
los angeles,ca
“From Bad To Worse-An AWful Experience”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We had frequented this restaurant long ago-then it seemed to go downhill. We were told recently that it was again excellent-so, we went for lunch before the Opera. The room was freezing. Our complaints went unheeded. So, we ordered from a small ,but interesting menu. We were served our salads and both were very good. 20 minutes later and no food. When we inquired, we were told that it would be "right up." My husband's short ribs were o.k., but my order was not recognizable. I ordered a half roasted chicken with mushrooms, but what I received was a dry chicken breast with some tomatoes and broccolli rabe. I sent it back-Seems there was no half roasted chicken. I ordered a hamburger-rare no cheese. 20 minutes later after much cajoling I got my hamburger, well,well done-no cheese and no bacon. I thought I would try it and it was inedible-tough and tasteless. We complained and they asked if they could bring something else.absolutely not! The staff was unresponsive.They suffer from a complete lack of training and normal responsiveness. To make matters worse, while they drove us to the opera, they were not available to drive us back, even When we told them that we might leave early-So we walked back to the hotel-good thing it was downhill. Never again!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank mflickermd

Los Angeles, California
“Good food and service”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We were a group of five and each enjoyed our dinner selection of salmon, fluke and filet mignon. All were excellently prepared and presented, portions were just right. Wine list was decent. Our waiter was attentive and efficient. The restaurant in itself is small but the modern design makes it an ideal place for a quiet dinner. The outside dining area is also nice with a great view of the LA skyline. Overall, it was a very positive experience!

Visited October 2013
El Paso, Texas
“Awesome!”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The restaurant has some of the best food I've ever eaten...he's a master of sauces! Try the 4 course dinner menu...my husband and I shared,although he ordered his own salad as the one on the menus had melon, and it was more than enough food!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Susan V
Toronto
“Not Bad at All”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Staying at the Hilton for business & I was too lazy to go elsewhere. I had a rib steak & it was perfectly cooked. Staff was friendly. A nice non- stress meal. Another couple had 2 young kids & their server was very good with them.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank imcarthur
Pasadena, CA
“Nice Quite Surprise in Downtown LA”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Hidden in the back of the Checkers Hotel on Grand Ave is their nice restaurant. The food was good. We had the chicken salad, fish and chips, a burger and a sandwich. Each was nicely prepared and very good. This is a great place for a quite (almost unheard of in Downtown LA) dinner or lunch. We also had a piece of their chocolate cake with ice cream YUM!! It was refreshing to go where there was no loud music blaring or loads of chatter. it has nice large windows with a small outdoor enclosed seating area. The is a Bar area too just in front. Perfect again for a nice quite dinner or lunch. Now the hotel itself is also a little gem, if you like smaller more intimate hotels. We didn't stay here but it's a Hilton Property and is situated right in the middle of Downtown LA. It's near the bank district, next door to the Library (which is amazing inside!) and there are many other food choices (Bottega Louie’s is down a few blocks) there is a Starbucks kitty corner from the hotel too for those of us who have that addiction! I will definitely go back.

• Visited May 2013