“Great hotel and great location”
Review of Hollywood City Inn

Hollywood City Inn
Ranked #109 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Great hotel and great location”
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Stayed at this hotel for a few nights, and it was great accomadation at a cheap price. Location was good - approx 30min walk to the Walk Of Fame, Hoolywood sign easily seen also. Room was big and spacious.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gav1986

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2009

We were only spending a couple of nights in LA and wanted somewhere in a good location to make the most of the time we had. We were also working to a budget, and this was the only hotel we could find in the area within our price range that didn't sound too horrific.
I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, and the front desk didn't inspire much confidence. It was rather bleak, and it seemed that we were an inconvenience to the lady at reception. Once we checked in, we made our way to the room, prepared for the worse. We needn't have worried. The room was large and clean, with plenty of storage area and a decent bathroom (although the toilet seemed to have a mind of its own when it comes to flushing!). We made use of the pool area once or twice, which was quite pleasant.
The area felt safe enough, and was right next to the subway which made getting around a piece of cake. We got a code to use the internet, which wasn't all that speedy, but sufficient for e-mailing.
Breakfast was included, if rather limited, but I didn't expect much more for the money.
All-in-all, the grumpy staff aside, I'd definitely recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to stay in Hollywood working to a budget.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Little_Lebowski
San Jose, California
Reviewed 23 July 2009

After reading several reviews commending the Hollywood City Inn, we decided to stay there during a one niter visit to LA to see a Dodger game. Checking in was smooth, the desk mgr was courteous and the room was clean, although slightly worn. There is a pool, which we didn't use and it appeared clean. There is a U-shaped building around the pool and a seperate 2-story rectangular building with parking around it - this is were our room was. When we returned from the game, we took a shower, watched tv a bit and turned in around 12:30. There was only 1 lamp in our room, in a corner, that you had to get out of bed to turn on or off. At this time I heard someone in the room above us walking around. I could hear every footsep as the floor/ceiling creaked. Also, when they flushed the toilet above, you could hear the water rushing thru the drain in our bathroom wall. About 2:30 am I was awoken by footsteps above me...about 10-12 trips back and forth and about 6 flushes of the toilet!! Also, a couple men having a brief conversation in the hallway outside my room...sounded like they were in our room!! About 5:30 am, more footsteps from above and more toilet flushing.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

London
Reviewed 7 July 2009

For the money that I paid, I cant complain about this hotel. I had free WiFi, the pool was cool. Breakfast was a non-event but I knew that before I booked and I didn't want sugary - fatty donuts or pastries so I got my own from outside. If you like fatty things then you'll be OK. There's a Mexican across the road to the right that opens at 8 every day and that's very reasonable for a hot breakfast that was relatively healthy. I liked the flatscreen TV that I turned into a 32" computer monitor for my mac laptop. Nice. Location-wise there's free parking and you're only about 15 -20 minutes drive from most places and a few minutes drive from many of the freeways/motorways. I'd stay here again on my next visit as there's nothing negative to report other than two small insects in the room and the toilet filler making a little too much noise but that could happen anywhere and remember this is a two star establishment. It's in a neighborhood which seems safe which is really important. My room and bathroom was huge.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank OSXXYYY
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2009

My wife and I have stayed in many hotels but the price you pay for the Hollywood City Inn, it is perfect given location. I am not sure why you would want to pay mega $$$ for a hotel unless you plan to stay in it most of the time. We found our room to be a nice size, clean and the maids cleaned every day.

The guy at the help desk was very helpful and friendly, he helped us with buses etc. Free internet at the help desk. Continental breakfast - danish's, very sugary cereals, tea / coffee etc. We did not use the pool but it looked clean.

You can either bus or walk to the main attractions (i.e chinese theatre) however we chose to walk - would probably be 6ish blocks or a 15 minute walk. All the restaurants are in this area and we caught a cab 1 night and it cost about $15. If you like modern Japanese food, I would highly recommend the Geisha House. We also caught a cab to the Viper Room and Rainbow Bar and it cost about $20 one way.

I caught a bus to the Getty one day which is relatively easy to do (2 connections - 40 minutes) and my wife caught a bus to the Market. My wife did the dearly departed tour and highly recommends it.

The area is fine although it is a big city and like ALL big cities, I would not recommend walking too far at night time if you dont know the area, we found it fine although can't say we walked too much at night time because we were tired from day time activities.

As other writers have said, it is right on the cusp of Thai Town and the curries there are top quality (also, places like Burger King are in the area too). There is an authentic mexican restaurant across the road which was nice.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Beau_and_Monique
camberley
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Stayed here end of April and again in May 2009 no problems at all. metro close on corner of hollywood blvd 3$ and 3 stops to chinese theater, supermarket on the corner. Rooms ok microwave ,fridge, flat screen tv,The man on the day shift front desk was very helpful. If you want to eat close by there are a number of places close by on Sunset Blvd turn right out of hotel and second right onto the Blvd Dennys about 400 mtres along on the right. All in all an OK place.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Not sure why some folks have issues with this place? It's in a normal neighborhood (it's LA folks.), close to freeways, Hollywood Blvd, ralph's/walgreens/Food 4 Less (buy your alcohol here), and a ton of crazy nightclubs and Thai restaurants. There's free parking, free wifi in your room, and a swimming pool.

We were greeted with a clean, simple room. The bathroom looked newly renovated, tiles and everything. Be prepared to walk 300 ft to Walgreen's if you forgot your soap, they are lacking that here; the store is open 24 hours in case you arrive in the middle of the night and want to smell good. The room also comes with a mediocre tv, microwave, and fridge (store alcohol here).

A the best value if you don't mind listening to Frenchies sunbathe and smoke cigs all day :)

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple