“great location”

Orange Drive Hostel
Reviewed 7 September 2008

a brilliant location right next to garman's chinese theatre and the walk of fame.

the staff were v helpful and friendly,

Hostel was clean and was an old house which was unusual.

only bad thing was that we could only pay by credit card when a particular member of staff was around and had to use our dollars which was a pain. luckily when we found the person they let us pay on credit card and gave us back the cash.

all in all a brilliant location and a great hostel

id definately recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 September 2008

This hostel is in a great location right off Hollywood Blvd. It’s a quirky old building and has a comfortable feel to it. There are cooking facilities but we didn’t use them. Our room was a double en suite. It was small but did the job. There was a double bed , chair and dressing table and lots of cupboard space. We didn’t spend much time in there so it was fine for what we were after. This was our first experience of a hostel and was the first stop on our round the world trip. I think our only frustrations were that there was no plug in the sink (bring your own travel plug), there was no air con or fan - we did have a window but it was too noisy outside to leave it open at night (but to be honest in the location we expcted some noise) - and in hindsight we could have really done with a kettle in our rooms so should maybe have brought a travel one with us to save us traipsing down to the kitchen to make coffee.

We bought the wifi access but it didn’t work well in our room (although they did warn us beforehand). It was a bargain for what we got ($5 per day) compared with other places we’ve stayed recently although if you don’t need regular access you could use the free access at the Coffee Bean coffee shop at the end of the road to save yourself some cash.

The Starline trips were a good deal leaving from the Chinese Theatre round the corner. They mostly worked out cheaper than the LA Tours that can be booked through the hostel (even with the hostel discount). We did the hop on hop off bus tour and used them for the transfer to Universal Studios. If you buy the basic Universal Studios day pass then you can upgrade to the ‘front of line’ pass when you get into the theme park. This is well worth it - we didn’t buy it and didn’t get to see everything in the day we were there. We ditched the free bus back and got a taxi so that we could stay there longer - I think this was about $15.

Hollywood Blvd was a good location for the trip and if we went back I’d be happy staying at Orange Drive again as it was good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2008

+ location was great
- no air condition, not even a window to be opened,
bathroom too small

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2008

didn't see them clean the room everyday. There is only one bathroom in every floor, which is very inconvenient. They don't have free internet and if you want to use wireless, you have to pay extra $5 for every night you stay there. Don't pay all the days you are gonna stay there, if you are not sure when you will leave. They don't give money back even if you check out several days earlier.
I would never go back to the hostel again

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 25 July 2008

Can't say enough good things about this place, Its RIGHT NEXT to the walk of fame, but still feels like your in the suburbs in a quite, luxury mansion. 1 block from subway, kodak theater, and everything else you want to see... I recommend doing the runyan canyan hike, 10 minutes from the hostel and you can see all of LA!!! Staff are great and the place is clean, safe and lots of fun!

Your a fool if you stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 July 2008

.............................BED BUGS................................
RIGHT THIS REVIEW IS NOT PAY BACK JUST THE FACT THAT I WOULD NOT WANT ANYONE TO EXPERIENCE WHAT I HAD TO EXPERIENCE........
I came the the hostel on the 8th july 08 and was booked to stay for 28 days 14 in one room and 14 in another, paId nearly $1400 because i got a private room for a single person.
internet access, car park telephone kitchen everything
the hostel seemed too good to be true, perfect location, central to everywhere as it was right on my door step.
the staff where great the candian guy James and the new yorker Mark. ..Billy in fact all of them where every helpful tryed to make me fit in and were very welcoming. I did not actually what to leave it was just i could not stay there any longer in thoses conditions

to the naked eye dream come true.......

The house was in o.k. condition oldish but live-able. but full of energy from all of the people who stayed there , I felt very welcomed even by the busy old woman Mary that stayed there perminatly, which i though was slightly odd.

Now it was $69 per nite which was fine by me I had the money and paid upfront.
However, i noticed that i was had come up with bites, not just one loads, i have counted 52 bites from my scars.... which i still have
i decided to do abit of cleaning so, decided to shake my bed out. I found two bugs big one in between the sheets. I decide to change the sheets and it is as i did that i realsied that the base of the bed was infected with thousands and thousands of tiny bed bugs and eggs and crawling things. I told, no showed the staff they said sorry that the person in there b4 me must have brought them as it i can happen sometimes...(dont be fooled by that one. i done research that is not the case) and they moved me to another room which they 'said was a staff bedroom before' and washed all my clothes for me before i moved into there, that would have had to be standardly done to stop re-infetcion.
on leaving realsied that i had had lot more now either that was from my new bed or from my already washed clothes????
i am in a new place and had not been bitten any more, so i can only assume it was there 2nd room
I find it hard to beleive that it had just come there as
the bugs where in between the sheets and little families of thousand's had been formed there that had not just come, in a few weeks.
they said they fumigated the room but i saw no one come in there i.e companies probably a job done by insect killer spray, i said that they should check the other room next door to mine as the doors were very close and i found some by my door, i dont think they did that.

the hostel is pretty much sold out everynite so honestly dont believe thet cancelled reservations in order to do it

i came across the owner as she is sometimes there sometimes not and pulled her aside i was being very discreat about the situation although i was upset, i understood this could be damning to her business i did not feel it was fault, it is a place that people are always in and out of. she said thank you and did i have a car i said no she said ok she would sort something out 4 days later i asked staff what was the situation and got a cold response from the manager as if to say what do you want from them?.....
i said that because of the situation in hand i did i not feel it was unjust for the owner to consider a discount or a few free nights out of the 1 momth stay. i would have taken anything as a gesture of good will. I did not get that, i did not get anything not even a personal apology
apparently from the manager the owner said that it was not going to happen. i was getting nothing i said it was not a problem to go somewhere else it would just mean them going against their policy of no refunds and giving me my money back.
And that is what they did wilth no problems still charging me for every nite i was there and I moved .

im stillin LA somwhere else that is very clean and drastically cheaper than the that hostel
i could have gone around telling everyone and showing them my injuries but did not, i felt like all they wanted was my money and that was it, i was spending alot of money with them and the way i was treated was discusting. customer service skills crap, being made to feel like a valued customer zero.

the worst thing was , was that as i was waiting for my cab out of there, i overheard that other rooms beds on another floor needed to be stripped and the plastic covering and bedding burned.. i could confidently say that the issue was around the entire hostel as that was on another floor and i could see from my room floor that was laminate, the rugs should have been wash they were not, carpet runs throughout the house and the docter i had to pay to see told me the whole house would need to be fumigated correctly, because that these things do not just stay on fabric as i was told by staff but can crawl around a room.
all of the bed and pillows have plastic cover but that did not stop them harvesting on the carpet and rugs, and bed drapes and sheets

now i hope everyone realises and has an informed veiw a true view of this hostel, then the choice is yours.

im hoping the owner will read this and underdstand how mistreated i felt as a paying customer

customer service is universal worldwide, a hostel should be looked apon as a place of accomadation and that is not what i got.
feel free to contact me if you have dont believe me

the bugs had managed to get to the closet so could travel, long story short i approached the owner of the house gretchen and she said she would sort something out. she di not instead told me that she was going to do nothing and even though

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank darcyIDA
Reviewed 30 June 2008

I read these reviews and was a little sceptical. I booked a full week of staying at the Orange Drive hostel, and i loved every minute of it. The staff were great, I was able to talk to them about everything that i needed, and James, the cool canadian guy, really helped me out booking a shuttle back to the airport.

I was in a dorm room with 5 other guys. It was very spacious, and had a few big windows so it kept cool. There was plenty of room for everyone, and everyone i met there was very friendly. The locations great too. its on a nice quiet street, but literally 60 seconds from the chinese theater and downtown hollywood. I didn't like the 10 am check out time, but they were cool and let me leave my stuff in the lobby until my shuttle came. The showers were a bit small, but they didn't look dirty at all, and i didn't mind using them every morning.

The TV lounge was a nice touch, a good place to relax, with computers available and a nice kitchen to store and cook food.

This was a great value and I would definately stay there again, no questions about it. The staff are very helpful and accomidating.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
Samesun Venice Beach
#3 of 102 in Los Angeles
Santa Monica
Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica

Been to Orange Drive Hostel? Share your experiences!