“My Favorite Thai Restaurant”
Review of Sapp Coffee Shop

Sapp Coffee Shop
Ranked #70 of 362 Coffee & Tea in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Thai
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Sapp is a tiny, family owned restaurant buried in a strip mall in Thai Town on Hollywood Boulevard. Everything is cheap, and they have a wonderful array of soups and noodles. Some of the dishes are standard Thai fare for Thai restaurants in the US, but many are not. I haven't found jade noodles in many places, and theirs are flavorful and have great textures, with cilantro, peanuts, meats, and noodles. Also, I have a penchant for green things, so the fact that the noodles are green wins me over. Their green papaya salad is delicious. I also like their chili garlic noodles, which are spicy and flavorful. In general, seasonings are very good, and they have had consistent quality since I first went to Sapp Coffee Shop in about 1997. As a Culver City resident, it's pretty difficult to get over to Hollywood, but I'm willing to drive there on a weekend morning just to eat there without fighting daytime or evening traffic.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

This whole in the wall Thai spot is highly lauded, but the setting is bare bones and certainly is not an enticing place to eat. The boat noodle soup was a disappointment, but the jade noodles stood up to the hype. You won’t be missing much if you skip this place.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

I really enjoyed this little joint. I went there because I remember seeing it on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. I had the #3 the Boat noodle Soup with Beef which comes with a collection of beef, tripe, meatballs and a dark, rich and spicy, beef broth. It was delicious. Also, I had the Deep-fried Salted Pork with a side of sticky rice. Also, delicious. It was a simple dish of pork slices that have been deep fried so that the edges are crispy, but it still has a nice salty flavor that goes really well with the chili sauce that is served with it. Excellent prices and I would highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 12 February 2013

I love coming here. The food is great, & the people are nice. The parking lot is a bit small though but the Jade noodles here is worth it. If hits all the flavors... Sweet, savory, sour, bitter, & spicy.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

I traveled through Thailand last summer, and while that certainly doesn't make me an authority on Thai cuisine, I can say the boat noodle soup brought a sentimental tear to my eye. The flavors, care of preparation, and quality of ingredients were evident in every bite. It's the kind of food you only get from the skillful hands and loving hearts of the women in the back preparing it. Go here for a cheap, knock-it-out-of-the-park meal and sweet, heartwarming service.