“Best Thai Food Around” 5 of 5 bubbles

Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Los Angeles, California
“Best Thai Food Around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

The last time we were there, the staff asked us "the usual?". I've been eating at Sapp since I was a freshman in high school and I am now well into my 30's. That's how devoted I am to this great, nondescript restaurant that we visit almost once a week. I have tried alot of variations of Boat Noodle Soup all over California and hands down they have THEE best. Good size portion with deep flavors, I like to add alittle bit of sugar and fish sauce to mine to get sweet, salty, sour and tangy tastes, just the way I like it. The rest of their menu is just as great. I love their Yom Yum Goong, Po Tak, stir fried Chinese watercress, stir fry with chili garlic and deep fried salted beef too. Prices are so reasonable, you can get a bowl of soup and a drink for around or less than $10.
If you are looking for ambiance and snooty, hipster attitude, go somewhere else. All others ,enjoy.

• Visited November 2013

Culver City, California, United States
“My Favorite Thai Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Sapp is a tiny, family owned restaurant buried in a strip mall in Thai Town on Hollywood Boulevard. Everything is cheap, and they have a wonderful array of soups and noodles. Some of the dishes are standard Thai fare for Thai restaurants in the US, but many are not. I haven't found jade noodles in many places, and theirs are flavorful and have great textures, with cilantro, peanuts, meats, and noodles. Also, I have a penchant for green things, so the fact that the noodles are green wins me over. Their green papaya salad is delicious. I also like their chili garlic noodles, which are spicy and flavorful. In general, seasonings are very good, and they have had consistent quality since I first went to Sapp Coffee Shop in about 1997. As a Culver City resident, it's pretty difficult to get over to Hollywood, but I'm willing to drive there on a weekend morning just to eat there without fighting daytime or evening traffic.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
New York City
“Nondescript whole in the wall”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

This whole in the wall Thai spot is highly lauded, but the setting is bare bones and certainly is not an enticing place to eat. The boat noodle soup was a disappointment, but the jade noodles stood up to the hype. You won’t be missing much if you skip this place.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CA
“Little Shop, Big Flavor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

I really enjoyed this little joint. I went there because I remember seeing it on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. I had the #3 the Boat noodle Soup with Beef which comes with a collection of beef, tripe, meatballs and a dark, rich and spicy, beef broth. It was delicious. Also, I had the Deep-fried Salted Pork with a side of sticky rice. Also, delicious. It was a simple dish of pork slices that have been deep fried so that the edges are crispy, but it still has a nice salty flavor that goes really well with the chili sauce that is served with it. Excellent prices and I would highly recommend this place.

• Visited May 2013
“Yummy Jade Noodles”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

I love coming here. The food is great, & the people are nice. The parking lot is a bit small though but the Jade noodles here is worth it. If hits all the flavors... Sweet, savory, sour, bitter, & spicy.