“Beautiful, Comfy, sans Flooding Showers”

Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles
Ranked #89 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Beautiful, Comfy, sans Flooding Showers”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Beautifully designed hotel from the lobby to the rooms. I loved my room and the bed, desk and linens were wonderful. The in-room snack/booze festival were convenient, well-chosen and not as dramatically over-priced as that sort of min-bar action is normally--smart.

That said, I was very disappointed with the shower and bathroom. Use of the shower, which appears to have been designed to be used without a wall or curtain to separate it from the rest of the bathroom is deeply flawed if the shower head doesn't work perfectly and if you aren't a champ at this method of showering already. Since I was not looking to pick up a new skill during my stay after a long day of hiking in the desert, the bathroom floor was flooded and had standing water all night--not great for a late night trip to the bathroom.

On check-out, when I reported this, there was a perfectly fine apology, but no attempt to "right" the problem in my favor.

The bar, restaurant and front desk staff were all very kind and helpful otherwise and if I can manage a better bathroom, I will stay at the Ace Hotel again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a shower surround or something to keep water from taking over the bathroom.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank sunspoter
Ace_DTLA, at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this review, 11 August 2015
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback and have made some updates to our rooms to make your next stay more pleasant. We look forward to having you stay with us again and hope that you'll let us know if there's anything else you need to make your time here solid. Cheers!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Pasadena
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

If you're in to being at the new "it" places in LA then of course you have to stay here. But know that the beds are super low, the room service menu doesn't offer sides with your main dish, and privacy in the room is minimal.

So if this is your first trip with a significant other you may want to try something else. But the rooftop bar is AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL!!! And so is the downstairs restaurant. Oh and the staff is so sweet. From the valet to the room service attendants. Oh and they have a movie theater with special showings too, which is super cool. Over all I had a great stay and the scallops are so delish!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank MarketingDiva
Thank you so much for your kind words. We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to have you back soon! Cheers!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel in February, right after it opened. It was brand new, so the room felt a bit cold and raw. I love Ace (stayed at Portland, Seattle and NYC locations) and its downtown look, but I thought the room could've been cozier, with some tweaks to lighting, wallpaper etc. Or, maybe downtown LA needs more foot traffic. Having said that, it was a really nice stay. The staff was helpful. The bed was comfortable. I loved the Spanish architecture - part of the LA identity. Also loved the restaurant (L.A. Chapter) - very cool ambiance, beautiful tiled floor and lots of natural lighting - my favorite part of all Aces. I didn't visit the theater, but I'll definitely return for that. Likke Li is performing there on May 19. It'd be such a rad LA experience!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Jenny X
Thanks so much for staying with us, Jenny! We've got a ton of fun events coming up in our theatre and we hope you can come back to check them out. Cheers!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My two friends and I enjoyed our one night's stay at the Ace Hotel in DTLA and would definitely recommend it to others.

Rooms: We stayed in a large room with two queen beds and found that it was sufficiently roomy for the three of us. Both the room and the bathroom were very clean. Small additions like the record player are a nice touch.

Service: Everyone we encountered (including hotel, restaurant and bar staff) was pleasant, friendly and helpful. When we notified the front desk of an issue we had with our bathroom, they sent someone up immediately, and within 15 minutes, it was fixed.

Location: I've found that LA isn't the most friendly for tourists without cars. However, Downtown LA is really fun to explore on foot. Grand Central Market, Little Tokyo, Chinatown, Angels Flight, Angels Knoll Park and Olvera Street are all within walking distance - and together, make for the perfect DTLA day.

Other: Everything about the Ace Hotel is ascetically pleasing, beautiful and hip. One of the things I enjoyed most about the hotel was the fact that it was a destination in itself. I usually spend very little time at the hotels I stay at, but the Ace Hotel's restaurant, bar and rooftop are all worth visiting. The rooftop is beautiful and I loved that the crowd was a mix of hotel guests and locals.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Susan H
Thanks so much, Susan!
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This place is trying to be hip but in the end it's just creepy. It's super basic and the ceilings are unfinished and the walls have some type of cardboard on them to cover up the basic concrete. They missed the mark on their industrial sheik design if you ask me. The beds are relatively comfortable but my husband hated the smell of the room - essentially smells like a cardboard box. The sheets are very nice as are the pillows. I'm not sure what else is in the area but if you can, find a different hotel. If you have to stay here you'll live but for $300 I was really disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Travelette4666
Ace D, General Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, and I understand your view, but I wanted to share a little bit of the thought behind the design. The ceilings are the original poured concrete ceilings from 1927, we really wanted to try and retain as much of the history of the building as possible because of its beauty, specifically in this point the exposed concrete. The walls in the rooms are treated with homasote, which was mostly inspired by Rudolph Schindler & his house in West Hollywood which was also built in the 1920’s, where he also used homasote to give the rooms warmth and because of their sound absorbing quality. Please feel free to reach out if I can help with anything else, I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay!

Jason
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed here 3 nights on a recent pleasure trip to L.A. The hotel is awesome, with the raw concrete and industrial chic that we enjoy. Very interesting locale and history. The restaurant is great and the rooftop bar has wonderful views and amenities. Our room was a Medium, which was a tight space for the two of us. The shower had upscale toiletries wall-mounted, with no place to put your own items. The space next to the sink ( which is in the room, not in the shower enclosure) was completely taken up with a large tray of mini bar offerings. There was a hot water heater for tea, but no coffee maker. The lack of space to put bags, personal items, and our two computers was a constant problem. We loved the area, the staff and the general vibe of the Ace, but would have liked to unpack a bit more and have a more comfy space to sit and spread out.

Room Tip: Take a good look at the room descriptions and decide how much space you really need. A larger room...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank notlostyet36
Thank you for staying with us! All of our rooms have closets and desks but the layouts vary slightly, so please let us know during your next stay if you'd like to see the alternatives. We hope that you'll be visiting us again in the future. Cheers!
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed for the weekend even though we live just 10 miles away. Wanted to catch up on the downtown LA vibe, and it did not disappoint! The staff are super nice, the decor is sublime (mixing inventive new materials with luxe plumbing fixtures from waterworks) they did an upstanding job of blending the urban vibe of the area while maintaining the comfort, security, and an overall upscale experience.
The bell staff and front desk employees are super nice. No snobby vibe here. One (only) negative was the roof deck bar servers are almost laughably slow and make you feel like they'd rather be anywhere but serving drinks, even when the roof is half full. I think it's just lack of training. However, sunset and the evenings on the roof are beautiful.
The Ace is walking distance or just a short Uber ride to a wide variety of restaurants, bars, clubs, and culture. This area, which used to be quite scary 10 years ago has really changed for the better. At 1am walking down the street you'll see a mix of local well heeled residents walking their dogs, USC students, urban hipsters, working class immigrants, and of course a mix of street dwellers.
We'll definitely be back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fmjmclark
We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Cheers!