“Hipster heaven”

Ranked #89 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
clovelly
“Hipster heaven”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night in the Ace DTLA. From the moment we arrived we felt a vibe of cool hipsterdom. The exterior of the building is great with the United Artists sign appropriately decrepit. Inside is a funky space but the rooms may be coolness over practicality. The washbasins are in the bed/living area. Odd. There's an old school record player with some LP vinyl. Even the notepaper is music paper. Lots of exposed concrete & a great roof top bar round out the experience.

• Stayed June 2014
Ace D, General Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this review, 26 November 2014
Thanks for your review!!!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
San Francisco
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The Ace Hotel is simultaneously a trip back to the past and the hippest of modern venues. The Ace is housed in a building formerly owned by United Artists founders Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, D.W. Griffith and Mary Pickford. The old United Artists theatre marquee is still up next to the hotel entrance. Delightful pencil drawings are found throughout the hotel lobby and cafe on the first floor. A sign states the artwork is part of a Los Angeles government requirement. Our room was on the 13th floor. Although the building's infrastructure is very much in evidence throughout, the room was quite comfortable. A king size bed faced a wall-mounted large screen TV. We looked out on a large "Jesus Saves" sign, evidence of an evangelist who was another of the building's owners. But the absolute hit of the hotel is the pool hang on the roof. The roof features a fabulous view, the piped-in music features easy-on-the-ears hip music, the drinks were groovy, and the people watching is as good as it gets! Who needs TV or, indeed other nightspots when the Ace Hotel features one of the hippies new clubs in downtown LA?

We can't wait to return to the Ace Hotel in downtown Los Angeles!

Room Tip: The higher the better!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Ace_DTLA, at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this review, 11 August 2015
Thanks so much, Alex! We think you're pretty cool, too :)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Ace recently re-opened as a hotel after a total overhaul of the building, so all furnishings and fixtures work well yet have a raw, semi-industrial feel. Very distinctive. It is somewhat on the edge of what is emerging as "downtown," a word formerly an oxymoron in Los Angeles, but that too will rapidly change. Staff was very friendly. Lots of bus routes in multiple directions nearby (including the DASH) but probably 10 minutes walk to the subway, which is still skeletal in LA anyway. Breakfast in the restaurant was excellent. Only drawbacks: elevators are insufficient for the need, and some upper floor rooms get noise from the rooftop. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms can hear some of the noise from the roof bar.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Bragnelli
Thanks so much Bragnelli! We can't wait to have you back. Cheers!
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This hotel is the happening place to be if you are in L.A. If you want the experience of being at a trendy hotel with a good vibe, and don't care about having to pay lots of money for something that's merely a step-up from Motel 6, then look no further.

Our room, a medium w/ terrace, was big enough for a bed and desk and that's about it. There's no chairs on the terrace; there is one chair in the hotel, so if you are looking to enjoy the view with someone other then yourself, then be prepared to take turns with the chair, or sit on the ground.

The room itself was basically exposed concrete with Ikea decor. There was a bathroom in a VERY small closet like room that smelt of fresh paint. There's also a shower that you can see from the bed. So if you are staying there with someone other than your loved one, it might get a little awkward.

The windows did not appear to be soundproof. We were seven stories up, but could still here people on the street. You also could here the construction going on early in the morning on a Saturday.

The bed was a bit like sleeping on a nice slab of wood without the splinters.

Room service was a joke. We left a little later in the day, but I asked the front desk to send someone up. When we got back at close to midnight, it had not been cleaned, so there were no fresh towels in the morning. There also was no toilet paper!

On a positive note, the restaurant was good, but you don't have to stay there for that.

If you want something modern and fun, your money is better spent at the Standard right down the street.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ace D, General Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thanks for your input! We agree with you about the furniture for the balcony, we hope to have it in place soon, you’re absolutely correct about sharing the view with someone. I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy the Suite Sleep mattress – they are 100% certified organic material luxury mattresses – if you can, please email me so I can specifically check the room you were in, I apologize if there was anything wrong with it. That goes with the room service issues you mentioned – I would love to hear from you so I can follow up and hopefully have you back for a better experience sometime!

Jason Deibler
Jason.deibler@acehotel.com
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I actually live next door to the new, but now part of history Ace Hotel and I have been waiting for two years for this only Broadway hotel of this quality to open their doors. I endured the construction noise for many early weekday mornings and Saturdays, but I knew this would be a place to call home when family / friends / clients came in town. When I saw the cathedral that towered above unveiled and miraculously brought back to its original shine when this once United Artist Theater was a church for many years, my anticipation started to grow. Then I knew the opening was any day when the original theater movie listing sign was restored to its original state and all of the bulbs were shining like I had never seen before, In fact, it was lighting up the entire corner of Broadway. Then the day came and we were there for the Grand Opening party. It was more impressive than I had imagined and they restored almost every detail to its original state like no time had passed. The lobby, reception, restaurant looked so great, that I felt like I went back in a time machine. A few months passed after their opening party and I finally had the opportunity to put some of my family up in the hotel during their visit. I was there to check them in and as meticulous as I am for my expectations of hospitality, I was impressed right from the start with their check in staff and the friendly nature of the bellman. When we arrived to the room, I was immediately in awe, but my family member said this place is quite small. Me being used to the high cost of real estate in downtown and the fact that my own loft is not large by any means, I explained we do have options here. I knew they would be cramped and living in a larger space back home would not be conducive to their usual routine. It took me quite some time to get used to smaller living spaces, but the benefits of living in this area are well worth it. I went down to the front desk and they immediately switched us to a larger room. The rate was not much more and when I saw their expressions begin to look very positive as we entered the larger room, I knew this would be a pleasant experience for both of them. I even offered to switch and have them stay in my place and in unison they both said, "why would we do that...this place is becoming amazing". I spent many hours in the hotel and in their guestroom during their three day stay and every portion of the hotel including the restaurant food / service and especially the lounge / pool on the roof. This entire property had become a welcomed addition that I would soon call my second home. I have since visited the hotel many times over the last few months as I have placed friends from two separate visits and one client in town for a meeting. They all had conversations with me and it was mostly very positive feedback. This is the main reason I have taken the time to write this long overdue review. I realize there are some reviews here about the size of the rooms and the city noise, but I can tell you coming directly from someone who has lived here for 7 years, this place is the best hotel in our historic theater district. The noise is minimal compared to what I have become accustomed to mainly due to their approval from the historic society to replace the original window glass with dual insulated noise reduction glass. You may hear a siren now and then, but this is downtown and a big city. This is not a countryside lodge where you will hear nature. I know I enjoy this area tremendously and walking everywhere is safe (we have the greatest amount of police and district secirity than any other area in Los Angeles), especially now that this area has cleaned up and grown so much. You can walk to the alley (Santee Alley) where you won't find better prices on clothing, accesories and electronics anywhere else as well as a short walk to Staples Center and now over 50 incredible restaurants and lounges within walking distance. There is basically so much to do in this area, that it has taken me seven years to cover only a small portion of the opportunities our DTLA has to offer. You may not want to leave with all this hotel has to offer, but one thing I know you will do is come back again!

Room Tip: Make sure you view the pictures of each room and note the size differences. If you have to have a la...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Ace D, General Manager at Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Steven, thank you SO much for your insider's review of Ace DTLA - it's true, there are so many amazing changes happening Downtown now that it's really exciting to live here! We're in the same boat you were a while back - we know there will be some construction in the neighborhood over the next couple of years, but what that construction is bringing is really great. Thank you and we hope to see you often!

Jason
jason.deibler@acehotel.com
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

If you love the industrial lofty type place, then this hotel is for you. It was very similar to my place so I felt right at home. Staff was friendly and the room was clean except for a scary stain on the blanket that covered the bed(Would have given this hotel 5 stars if the stain was not there) It drives me insane when something like that happens because the cleaning staff would have to be blind not to see it, why not just switch out the blanket? To me, it is just laziness. That being said, I will stay there again the next time I am in Los Angeles and give it another try.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank UESNYC646
Thanks so much for giving your feedback. Our management has addressed the issue with staff and we hope that you'll be staying with us again the future. Cheers!
Key Largo
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We decided to tour downtown LA, after reading a recent article in Bon Appetit. It was an eating adventure, and they recomended staying at the Ace. It was one of the most interesting hotel I've stayed in, both architectually and culturally. We expected everyone to be just a little too hip, but the staff was very gracious. The room was very industrial chic, with the bed facing the window. We opted for the medium room, which was still quite compact. The roof bar was beautiful, and the bourbon Mai Tais just TOO good!
I grew up near LA, and expected Broadway to be a bit more gentrified. It was instead as cluttered wirh garbage and beggars as before, and the Ace was the only "upscale" place on the street. There is an excellent 24 hour taco stand next to the car park. Great taco breakfast!
All in all, a very unique and cool place.

Room Tip: Splurge on the Medium rooms or larger.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks so much for staying with us! Downtown LA is rapidly changing and we look forward to sharing our new favorite spots with you during your next visit. Cheers!